VW 2.5L, oil requirements, reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why an average engine like VW 2.5L requires a special oil such as VW 502.00, similar to most German engines such as BMW LL01, MB 229.5, Audi ... How much power VW 2.5L generates ? More than 260-280 HP ?

For forced induction engines an over the shelf oil may not good enough, such as Honda requires oil meets HT-06.

Honda S2000(SP2) generates about 237 HP with 2.2 L engine that can rev to 8k and it only needs 10W30 API SJ/SL or newer. It's so easy/simple to buy oil for it, you don't need to read the fine print on the back of the bottle to find the special spec such as VW 502.00.

Not even my turbo'd, D.I. Hyundai requires syn. But, it is what it is I guess. Not that big a deal and if that's the requirement, that's what it will get.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah,the 2.5 is a decent engine, though a little low on MPGs. Good power/torque for a runabout, though not a sports car plant.

31 highway is low.on mpgs for a 5 cyl? Not .

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah,the 2.5 is a decent engine, though a little low on MPGs. Good power/torque for a runabout, though not a sports car plant.

The BMW M235i can squeeze 40mpg highway from a 3.0L turbo I-6. Granted, that is with the ZF 8-speed, but still...

The VW 2.5 seems pretty happy with any approved oil you throw in there. It has a decent sized sump (6qts i believe) and is very easy on oil.

When I had my 2.5L I did a UOA on the oil one change after the factory fill. It had 4k and almost 6 months of around town driving on it with M1 0w-40. Wear was low and TBN was way up there at around 6.

I would buy the M1 0W40 at walmart for $25, and call it a day. This is definitely an engine that should have no problem going the 10k OCI.

Originally Posted By: jigen
This is definitely an engine that should have no problem going the 10k OCI.

Is this the normal oci listed in the owners manual? If so, that's fantastic!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: wemay
Not even my turbo'd, D.I. Hyundai requires syn.

But does your Hyundai call for 10K OCI?

You're absolutely right, I failed to recognize this fact when I posted that due to my ignorance of the Vdubs oci requirements.

Depends on your frame of reference. My 2010 Impala could do that with no sweat and had a 4-speed automatic and a V6 not to mention a larger face to the wind.

Last edited:
I had the 2.5 in my 2012 Jetta, great little motor, especially with a manual trans.

I used Mobil 1 0w-40, cost effective 502 approved oil that held up well to 10K OCI's.

Should be 1 year or 10k, whatever comes first.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Depends on your frame of reference. My 2010 Impala could do that with no sweat and had a 4-speed automatic and a V6 not to mention a larger face to the wind.

Coming from a 6 cyl SUV that gets 23 on a really good day...yeah my frame is from the other direction, LOL. I still wouldn't consider 31 to be poor mileage though.

But 31mpg on older technology in a 5 cylinder isn't bad, considering the 4 cylinder diesel gets 41.

Should be 1 year or 10k, whatever comes first.

From a guy with a d.i. turbo, this information seems unreal, lol

The engine is very easy on oil. I am a "change my oil too early" kind of guy, but for the 2.5L I wouldn't break a sweat going 10k with something like M1 0w40. Especially being in south Florida.

but for the 2.5L I wouldn't break a sweat going 10k with something like M1 0w40.

Agreed.

I was trying to find a UOA to prove this point, but wasn't successful. I did come across one where someone ran M1 0w-40 for about 7K miles that looked fine.

but for the 2.5L I wouldn't break a sweat going 10k with something like M1 0w40.

Agreed.

I was trying to find a UOA to prove this point, but wasn't successful. I did come across one where someone ran M1 0w-40 for about 7K miles that looked fine.

Here's mine. New engine so I wouldn't stress about the wear here. But this was during the winter with a lot of short trips and I still had a TBN of 6.5.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2551092/Mobil_1_0w40,_4000_Miles,_2011#Post2551092

Last edited:
I put up a few a whole back with the low saps 504/507 oil in it. Everything but tbn looked perfect at 5k.

What I meant was that I couldn't find a 10K UOA from this engine in our archives.

That wouldnt be such an issue. Exrapulating information from the one's we have seen leads me to believe it is absolutely possible.

I know. I wasn't saying that it wouldn't be possible. I was just looking for actual proof points for you.
smile.gif

Oil capacity is fairly generous at 6.3 qt, so that helps with extended drains, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back