Anyone else use GasBuddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering. I'm thinking that a lot of branded franchise owners (who don't have that much control over their wholesale prices) hate it. I remember seeing compilations in newspaper websites as well as radio stations getting tips and broadcasting the cheapest prices in each general area. However, this is really easy. Before I need to fill up, I check for the lowest price along my commute home - where I feel I won't get mugged. It's usually a Costco, but even they vary in prices up to 10 cents a gallon.

Yes, because I live near several county lines. There's differences of up to $0.40/gallon.

I have been burned a few times when a station hasn't been updated for a while; I see $3.59 but arrive and it's suddenly $3.72, and a closer station was cheaper. Oops.

I use this site to determine where I can get the lowest price on the travels I'm doing when I am close to needing fuel.
There is often a price delta of a quarter a gallon or more within a mile or so of where I'm going, so gasbuddy is useful.

I wish they added functionaly for credit vs cash price to it.

All mail in rebates are now days in form of cards and they expire within couple of months, it would be nice where doesnt charge fees.

I love gas buddy tho, and their price trend is also nice.
I use thier trip planner all time when I go on trips.

Yep, been an active contributor for several years. I plan my trip gas stops using their info and have never been disappointed. Today there is up to a 30 cent differential in price in my area, and I wouldn't know that without Gasbuddy.

I do....
I also wish for Cash/Credit price differentials too

They're otta be a law!
Get rid of that stupid loophole where "We aren't charging more for credit, we are giving a discount for cash".

Its 2014.......
Let's get with the program

I'd also like to see information on the octane of their "premium". Seems dumb that two stations will charge $3.999 for "premium" when one is 91 and the other is 93, and I don't even realize it until I pull up to the pump.

Also, show me if they have race gas. :)

I live in PA, work in NY, and drive past NJ in between them lol. I use GasBuddy all the time, but due to different taxes in the three states, NJ ends up being the cheapest of all by about .40 cents a gallon. Plus, in NJ self-serve is illegal so the cheapest gas gets pumped by an attendant - I don't even have to get out of the car! I get a lot of GasBuddy points entering prices in different states.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I do....
I also wish for Cash/Credit price differentials too

They're otta be a law!
Get rid of that stupid loophole where "We aren't charging more for credit, we are giving a discount for cash".

Its 2014.......
Let's get with the program

I think it depends. A lot of places have cash vs credit/debit prices. Supermarkets and ARCO (around here) have cash/debit prices although sometimes that comes with a flat-rate surcharge. Costco is basically only debit or AMEX. They'd have to program it into their software and I could imagine that they really want to simplify it.

Yes i use gasbuddy all the time, but since we got a new Murphys gas station right next to a Speedway the Murphys has ALWAYS had the lower price per gallon and its close to my house so i don't really NEED the app at this time.

I really prefer BP/Shell though as i think they are the only top tier gas stations close to my home but they are usually overpriced sometimes 30 cents more per gallon.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd also like to see information on the octane of their "premium". Seems dumb that two stations will charge $3.999 for "premium" when one is 91 and the other is 93, and I don't even realize it until I pull up to the pump.

There is a good chance the 91 is ethanol free. If that is the case get that, you'll get better MPG.

Originally Posted By: dparm

In California premium is 91. 92 used to be the standard, but that disappeared sometime around 2000. The demand for premium is high such that they blended it down with lower octane fuel to make more.

And race gas? Here's a place I know has 94/96/98/100 octane:

http://www.oaklandgasprices.com/Sunol_Super_Stop_Gas_Stations/Sunol/28898/index.aspx

Also - there's that redirect to different website names. I don't know how many they use, but I've seen redirects to oaklandgasprices.com and sanjosegasprices.com for areas around my commute and near where I live. I looked up a place I sometimes travel, and it's californiagasprices.com. Not sure why they do it. And it's only from the main search page. Once it's stuck it remains there.

Use it all the time. I have several towns which I commute through and check prices in those areas to determine where to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back