Toyota YZZA1 and other 10K oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually get the Toyota YZZA1 oil filters by the case for 10K mile OCI on our Sienna 3.5l. The Toyota 3.5l uses a small cartridge filter. With only one remaining unused YZZA1 I decided to pick up a few other candidates and do a little comparison.

Below are the suspects and all are within 1/16 of an inch in size to the OEM YZZA1. The YZZA1 has 42 pleats and is made in Thailand (its the 1st one on the left)

Below is the Fram XG9972, it has 30 pleats and is made in the USA.

Below is the Fram TG9972, it has 48 pleats and is made in the USA.

Below is the Champ Labs P967, it has 56 pleats and is made in the USA.

Below is the K&N PS-7020, it has 43 pleats and is made in Korea

Below is the Hastings LF607, it has 46 pleats and is made in Korea

Below is the WIX 57047, it had 44 pleats and is made in Poland

Enjoy and let me know if you would not use one of these for a 10K OCI and which one you would like me to drop in during the next OCI and report back on.

Well the Korean made K&N filters are no longer mid 90s efficiency and are currently mid 80s, so you can probably do better for the price. They all looking pretty solid. Of course I am partial to the XG, since it's so robust.

The real test is after using the filter you can see if it looks like it was up to the task or not. I suspect they all should hold up fine though and you may consider going by efficiency.

Keep in mind that the XG should be able to go two intervals easily with double layer media.

Nice pictures! I appreciate this as we too have a 3.5 Sienna.

After the free oil changes, I will most likely be using the Fram Ultra. I'm a big fan of wire-backed media.

How many miles a year do you drive? You have 70k miles worth of filters there. Assuming that a case of Toyota filters has 12 filters in it you have already gone 120k. That is a lot of time to keep track of this.

I did the eenie, meanie, miney, moe and came up with the Wix filter first. I'd like to get that one out of the way first by the looks of it.
smile.gif

Just an FYI ... you can't compare the number of pleats between a full synthetic and a non-synthetic filter. That's why the Fram Ultra has less number of pleats than the others. For a 10~15K OCI, I would choose the Ultra myself.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
How many miles a year do you drive? You have 70k miles worth of filters there. Assuming that a case of Toyota filters has 12 filters in it you have already gone 120k. That is a lot of time to keep track of this.

Toyota filters are sold in cases of 10.

I put on over 20K miles per year.

I have not ruled out returning one or two of these.

The Toyota, K&N, & Hastings are extremely close in manufacturing technique. The two Fram's appear to share the same assembly line, just different media.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Keep in mind that the XG should be able to go two intervals easily with double layer media.

I would be reluctant to do that since these filter cartridges are so small, about 2.7 inches tall by 2.8 inches in diameter.

Originally Posted By: smithph
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I would be reluctant to do that since these filter cartridges are so small, about 2.7 inches tall by 2.8 inches in diameter.

Does the XG/Ultra say on the box that it's rated to 15K miles? If so, then it could probably do 2x 10K runs since you're pushing the other filters past their run limits too.

This is helpful. I just picked up a used sienna and will be doing the oil changes myself. Besides the pleat count, what is the pleat depth? Which filter has the deepest pleats and the most shallow? What about cost? OEM Oil filters from the dealer are only 5.15 and they give discounts if purchased by the case.

I have the same engine in Avalon.
Big fan of OEM filters until Toyota YZZF2 with 51% @ 20 microns (ISO 4548-12)on Amsoil website.

Now I wonder what Toyota's reasoning is:
1. Quicker flow at start up?
2. Long time without oil/filter changes (abuse)?
3. Best all around and engines out live most everything else?
4. Toyota filters I cut open seem to always have lots more media area (hold more dirt?)
5. Filtering is a give and take type of engineering to me. Hard for me to go against
engineering that built the engine.

But I am running an Fram Ultra now Thanks to BITOG(99%+ per 4548-12 for particles >20 microns).
Idiot light goes out just a fast at start up, no noise etc.
No way I know of to prove if one is really better than the other or add any life to the engine.
Good luck with your decision.

I would not run any of the filters with the plastic tops. I've tried several and by my unscientific ear sampling method, it seems to take longer to circulate the oil when cold. $0.02.

I'm buying the YZZA1 by the case now and I am happy.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
This is helpful. I just picked up a used sienna and will be doing the oil changes myself. Besides the pleat count, what is the pleat depth? Which filter has the deepest pleats and the most shallow? What about cost? OEM Oil filters from the dealer are only 5.15 and they give discounts if purchased by the case.

Dimensions of all these including pleat depth are within 1/16 of an inch of the OEM Toyota filter. The Toyota, Fram TG, and K&M claim to be 10K filters, Fram XG Ultra claims 15k, and the others claim to meet OEM spec. The most expensive was the Fram Ultra about $8 (part of an oil change special) and least expensive was the Champ Labs(Fram) at ~ $5.

To everyone else please keep the comments coming. Having these cartridge filters setting next to each other to examine is very interesting. But the experience and advice of those on BITOG is even more valuable.

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
I have the same engine in Avalon.
Big fan of OEM filters until Toyota YZZF2 with 51% @ 20 microns (ISO 4548-12)on Amsoil website.

Now I wonder what Toyota's reasoning is:
1. Quicker flow at start up?
2. Long time without oil/filter changes (abuse)?
3. Best all around and engines out live most everything else?
4. Toyota filters I cut open seem to always have lots more media area (hold more dirt?)
5. Filtering is a give and take type of engineering to me. Hard for me to go against
engineering that built the engine.

There is no such thing as "quicker flow at start up" when a positive displacement oil pump is used in an engine. Postitive displacement oil pumps are never in pressure relief at start up unless maybe someone uses 20W-50 oil and fires up an engine in -20 deg F weather.

I'd say it's more like 2 & 4 (which are related) if I had to choose reasons.

Originally Posted By: smithph
After reading your post I searched and found the thread from last year where this TRD filter was discussed. I can get the Fram Ultra's for about $8 while the TRD costs about $10 each. Is the TRD worth the extra $2 a filter.

Good God that's a low price. I was thinking much more for that. Hopefully, that will work on a 12 Camry 4cyl.

Yea I agree about flow......
I seen what Positive Displacement pumps can do when the relief valve fails...open up piping like a can of biscuits.

Wonder if the Toyota filters has less by-pass openings over life of engine?
Guess it's just marketing (99%)playing with my head.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back