03 Elantra beater new struts/mounts done :) - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I got the 211k mile old FRONT factory struts replaced and mounts replaced by a friendly mechanic for $75 a side...not bad I think.

(I got SenSen struts for $23 each and the mounts also pretty cheap from Rockauto; Springs were still in fine condition surprisingly)
factory shocks were shot completely (we pushed them in after removing and even after 3 hrs they were still in that position LOL)
Ellie feels like a new car again .. well, almost.
smile.gif
Need to get an alignment, just to be safe I think.

Some pics:

Old strut (pass. side): This came out in compressed position and never came back out/decompressed. Must have been like that for the last 20k or so when I started hearing the clunk/thud from that corner.

One of the nuts that came with the struts mounts: LOOK MA, NO THREADS !!! (used one of the old ones)

New Strut installed:

Not yet - I found out that the plugs were done around 150k miles so that's like 60k on NGK plat's.
I really wanted to do it myself just for learning/practice etc, but I am really not sure if the car NEEDS it..

(OEM is NGK Plat - $10 a plug! Ugh!)

I will definitely do that.

- I checked intensively on Elantra forums, and a lot of members in several forums have used them without problems for well over 150k miles, and were pretty happy with them.
They were also one of the biggest selling items at RockAuto.
The price I got for them was a close out price; normally they're not that cheap..

With my car at 211k miles, I wanted to spend the least amount, and I think they will do well.

They're supposed to be stiffer than the OEM struts, which is fine with me.

I think it was MevoTech (from RockAuto)
It seemed to have pretty good reviews, and was somewhat less costly that Monore.
(I think the goof with the non threaded nut is probably a rarity, and it really didn't hurt anything - the mounts themselves looked/felt solid and well made...)

Will update here if anything unusual happens with either the Struts or mounts.

After driving a few miles (about 50-60), I can say they're nice, but def. stiffer than factory struts; which is nice - good balance between comfort and firmness.

Alignment is way off, which I expected - since last alignment car had 2 bent wheels replaced, and rode on struts that were non functioning for several thousand miles.
Going to get an alignment tomorrow, and then should be good for a while...

This is quite a refresh for the 211k trusty beater.

I Did 2 of my vans and a 94 Acclaim, (the family beater) with Monroe sensa-trac struts. Mine were stiff until 4-500 miles then they smoothed out. Think you will like them. I got the quick struts for the vans. They came with progressive wound springs which I like a lot.

Wayne

No idea.

well it was off before too; more pronounced after the strut change...Will see tomorrow how it goes.
(tires are not the greatest so i am sure there's a lot contributing to this currently...)

Alignment done - Car drives straight now
smile.gif

Camber is non-adjustable in these cars(?), and can only be done with special camber plates etc. (?)

Had a coupon and 4 wheel alignment cost $65 at dealer; not too bad, methinks.
steering/tracking is now centered, and the tech said the new Sensen struts will take a few hundred miles to become smoother, and are still 'stiff'.

However, I feel that they overfilled tires; Have to re-check in a bit when they're cool.

They also had a FREE oil change offer due to them putting 5/20 oil in this car (5/20 was never back-spec'd for 2003 Elantras) in the 90F summer last time, and me complaining about it, so although i had bought ramps etc to change oil myself, I went ahead and got it (free, why not?) - MADE SURE that they used 5w/30 oil this time...

(Next up are DIY spark plugs/wires (perhaps - not sure if car NEEDS it...idle is faintly rough at times and accelerates a bit sluggish but that could be a million things at 211k miles...) ...Then friendly neighborhood mechanic's brake fluid bleed/refill...)

meant Caster above, not camber. IDK why the tech mentioned camber plates...
Camber WAS adjusted - Caster is not adjustable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back