Which narrowbody aircraft/airline should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family is taking a trip to Arizona in October for my brother's wedding. We fly VERY infrequently, so I'd like to make the travel arrangements the best they can be with the limited budget we have. I have a choice of four airlines (which may actually be three anyway), Delta, US Airways, American, and Southwest. Southwest is the cheapest, and we can fly non-stop from RDU to PHX. Other options have at least one layover somewhere, unless I spend much more per ticket. Southwest flies a 737-700 on this route.

Other options on the long leg (which is either CLT to PHX or ATL to PHX) with other airlines are a 757, an MD-xx, or an Airbus A32x.

A car is not a car. A Cobalt rides different than a Focus. Are planes just planes when it comes to ride/passenger comfort, when it comes to commercial airliners? Is there any reason why I should prefer one narrowbody to another?

And Southwest is cheapest by about 15% (a few hundred bucks). My mother has flown Southwest before...any real horror stories with Southwest?

Southwest is not always the absolute cheapest, but they have an excellent on-time record (best lifetime record since the FAA started tracking this stuff). Also, since you are going with your family, I assume you are checking bags. No fees for that on Southwest.

Honestly, Southwest is low-hassle. They're nice, they don't play games, and they get the job done. I fly weekly for business and use them exclusively. No complaints for many years. Worst thing I've ever had happen that was their fault was a "passenger of size" sitting next to me didn't buy the second seat as they were supposed to, leaving me a bit cramped for 2 hours, but I called customer service and they refunded my ticket without hesitation.

The 737-700 is fine. Decent seat pitch (leg room), good overhead bin space, reasonably roomy/non-claustrophobic interior. Some of those smaller jets feel very confined. Southwest doesn't have all the extras like TVs in the seats, Sirius radio, etc, but if you have a laptop/tablet/smartphone, you can watch TV and movies for like $5 during the flight. They do give free snacks and drinks, but no meal options.

I really can't answer much of your question, but if any of them offer a flight on an Embraer, take it.

Brazilian made with quiet Rolls-Royce power, make about as much noise on take off as a Civic does accelerating briskly to 70 m.p.h. All business class, nice wide comfortable seats, one row on the left and two rows on the right.

Continental used to use them for various Mexican destinations from their Houston hub.

Im not a fan of southwest boarding procedures, but their flights have always been fine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im not a fan of southwest boarding procedures, but their flights have always been fine.

You can't deny that they get people on the plane very quickly and efficiently. I've seen studies that showed the "random" boarding is actually fastest. You can get screwed with a lousy boarding number if you forget to check in early enough, but that's not really Southwest's fault.

Sounds like a no brainer then. Coach is Coach on all of them. Southwest will get you there just fine. More or less have become my go-to airline if it works to use them. Your bags are free too. Just remember to check in 24 hours before your flight. And I mean, right at 24 hours. That is how your boarding position is determined.

The one bad thing is Southwest does not interline with other airlines - meaning if your flight gets cancelled / delayed / etc, Southwest will accomodate you on Southwest metal, but not on anyone else. It could be a few days before space becomes available though. Just something to be aware of.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Southwest is not always the absolute cheapest, but they have an excellent on-time record (best lifetime record since the FAA started tracking this stuff). Also, since you are going with your family, I assume you are checking bags. No fees for that on Southwest.

Honestly, Southwest is low-hassle. They're nice, they don't play games, and they get the job done. I fly weekly for business and use them exclusively. No complaints for many years. Worst thing I've ever had happen that was their fault was a "passenger of size" sitting next to me didn't buy the second seat as they were supposed to, leaving me a bit cramped for 2 hours, but I called customer service and they refunded my ticket without hesitation.

The 737-700 is fine. Decent seat pitch (leg room), good overhead bin space, reasonably roomy/non-claustrophobic interior. Some of those smaller jets feel very confined. Southwest doesn't have all the extras like TVs in the seats, Sirius radio, etc, but if you have a laptop/tablet/smartphone, you can watch TV and movies for like $5 during the flight. They do give free snacks and drinks, but no meal options.

Agreed. I fly Southwest anytime the route lends itself to them regardless of cost since it's business and in business the cost is close enough. Don't forget to add in that checked bags are free where as with any other airline they are $25-35 each. I am generally comfortable on Southwest planes, be it a 737-200, 300, 500 or 700. 6'1"/300lbs

I was scoping out cheapest flights to Seattle the other week from with Baltimore or Philadelphia and Southwest was the cheapest. I was honestly surprised because normally with as much notice as I was providing, I was expecting US Air to be cheapest. It was $250 round trip out of PHL, no one else was close.

My biggest complaint is I wish they were more strict on the carryon baggage policy. When it doubt, just check it, it's free.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I really can't answer much of your question, but if any of them offer a flight on an Embraer, take it.

Unless it's a long flight subject to turbulence or your a larger fellow like myself.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
A car is not a car. A Cobalt rides different than a Focus. Are planes just planes when it comes to ride/passenger comfort, when it comes to commercial airliners?

If you're in economy, it sucks regardless of airline, IMO.

If Southwest can get you there on a non-stop flight, then that's what I'd take. Otherwise, you risk missing your connection and getting stuck at some airport half way through.

Make sure you check in exactly 24 hours prior to departure time. This should help ensure that you won't board dead last and get the worst seat next to the toilet and no room for your carry-on bag.

Or just pay the $10 for early check-in and you'll be guaranteed to be one of the first on the plane.

My mom's flown Southwest before, and we are familiar with the 24-hour check-in routine. I'm glad to hear that their planes are comfortable enough for travel; I assume every Southwest 737 will be set up the same (in terms of seat type, legroom, etc).

Cardenio, I "fly" a couple of E-jets on my flight simulator game, but I haven't found any flights on our journey that fly one. I assume Southwest's 737-700s use CFM56s. I also did some reading just now that the -700 is the first in the 737 Next Generation series, so the aircraft should be pretty modern. Looks like Southwest flys over 400 of these things, so they probably know as good as anyone else what makes them tick.

Looks like a good deal for us. I found some decent flights for $1260 for the four of us on Southwest.com. The next cheapest option, which included at least one red-eye on other carriers, was well over $1500.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Or just pay the $10 for early check-in and you'll be guaranteed to be one of the first on the plane.

Is this something that is done at the time of ticket purchase, or do you buy this closer to the time of the flight? We'll pay $40 to get all four of us on-board early and sitting together.

I agree with everything said about Southwest.
Always found them to be very efficient, and surprisingly Pleasant to deal with considering they are a discount airline.

You can buy it when you buy the ticket. It's $12.50 each way now.

It's called Early Bird Check-In. You can't miss it.

It will also help keep the family together.

737 or Airbus are good choices. MD's are long in tooth, but get the right seating and they are ok....Seats are comfortable. Flew several flights on Embraer E class jets. Different looking interiors, but planes were comfortable, smooth and quiet. The 717 for it's size flies well and is surprisingly roomy with comfortable seating.

I fly Southwest at least once a month and really like the boarding process. I make it a point to set an alarm to check in right at 24h before the departure time. I could probably just pay and expense the additional early bird check-in fee since it's for work, but I don't mind.

If you have children flying with you, they may allow you to board between the A and B boarding groups, which will likely allow you to sit close together. I believe all of SW's 737s are 3+3 seating, so you're going to have to split your group somehow.

What I find hard to beat is SW's return policy. As long as you cancel the flight before it departs, they'll keep 100% of the travel funds available for future flights.

I'm surprised Southwest isn't flying the 737-800 on that route. I've flown to Phoenix several times in the past few years and it has always been on the -800 (MDW to PHX and MKE to PHX).

The -800s are of course longer, but are a bit quieter and more modern inside.

I always fly SW from FL to ILL. I enjoy the one bag free checking too. Make sure you look at the "extras" like charges for checked and carry-on luggage. Ed

Add another vote for Southwest. I fly one to two round trips each month and fly Southwest whenever possible. Friendly service, straightforward flight cancelation (as described above) and change (pay difference between your purchase price and current purchase price - no change fee) policies, easy boarding process, and although Southwest gets those passengers who carry on bags that are obviously too large, it seems to be fewer than I encounter on other carriers, probably due to the free checked bag policy. Also, you can purchase in-flight wifi or watch live TV on select channels for free (courtesy of Dish Network). Being able to fly nonstop that distance is worth $100 per ticket in my book, so being cheapest makes it that much more of a deal!

Every airline has a specified seating arrangement that the manufacturer complies with. So...while with one airline a 737 might make one feel cramped and uncomfortable, another airline with the very same aircraft, could be more comfortable and spacious feeling. Boeing and Airbus give the customer (the airline) the seating they choose.
As for Southwest? Kind of like festival seating at a concert. I'm not a fan of the airline myself nor do I like the cattle-like treatment of customers. I don't mind paying more for better service. On the west coast I prefer Alaska Airlines....but I've been on Delta and had a good experience with the seating as well.
All things being equal (they aren't), I prefer a larger aircraft over the 737. The seating TENDS to be a bit more roomy on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back