Rotella T 15W40 TDS shows JASO MA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JASO MA2 shown on TDS as of 04/12/2013 revision. Also specifies motorcycles in the additional suitability statement. I believe prior revisions showed only JASO MA.

01.gif

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Loc...-US%29_TDS.pdf]

RotellaT15w40_zps0bf241b0.jpg

SOPUS is smelling some extra business, just by getting and adding a new spec.

It's good oil. I use lots of it in 10w-30.

Thanks for posting LoneRanger! It's awesome Sopus is finally taking notice of the huge following Rotella has when it comes to the motorcycle world. It's even more interesting that they've updated the JASO spec from MA to MA2. I would assume if the oil had previously met the Dynamic, Static, and Stop Time Index for the MA2 cert. they would have listed it; I wonder if they altered the formulation to account for the change? Interesting news none the less!

Wow! So I must say I was genuinely curious as to whether or not Rotella had altered their 15W40 formulation or if they simply updated their specs, so I sent an email to Shell and got back this reply in a literal 14 minutes!

James,

No, Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 has not been reformulated. We had tested the product against the JASO MA requirements several years ago, but never against the JASO MA2 requirements. Further testing has confirmed that the product does, indeed, meet JASO MA2.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!

Regards,
Edward Calcote
Staff Chemist
Shell Lubricants North America Technical Information Center

So, there you have it, but that's some awesome customer service!
laugh.gif

Good oil from a company with fast answers.
smile.gif

We use the T6 version of Rotella so it is good for all of our gas and diesel engines year round with single digit winters. 15W-40 is preferred by some air cool bike owners.

Yeah, no reformulation needed. MA2 is basically a subset of MA, so some oils that previously met MA would automatically meet MA2 as well. They didn't even have to retest. If they had the actual results from the original test, they could easily tell if those results now fall within the MA1 or MA2 range.

Also, I know it's mostly semantics, but Rotella isn't on the official JASO MA/MA2 approval list. Basically, it is only SOPUS saying that according to their own test results, the oil meets the requirements of JASO MA/MA2. That's why you don't see the official JASO MA logo on the label. Not that I think it matters to the end user. I trust SOPUS has tested it properly.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Isn't the MA2 spec for vehicles with Catalytic Converters?

Not to my knowledge. API SM and CJ has more to do with vehicle emission protection than JASO MA/MA2.

JASO MA/MA2 does impose a limit on phosphorus content, but it's no more stringent than any current API specs.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Good oil from a company with fast answers.
smile.gif

We use the T6 version of Rotella so it is good for all of our gas and diesel engines year round with single digit winters. 15W-40 is preferred by some air cool bike owners.

AFter reading the above I emailed Shell and got a prompt reply that T6 is also rated MA2. So there you go..... and if you want a 10-40 mix the two and make your own blend.

I wonder if they tested the new T5 15w-40 synthetic blend against JASO MA/MA2. The spec isn't listed on the label, but maybe they tested it anyway?
smile.gif

That's very true Quattro, technically as long as they have the results from their previous JASO MA testing they could simply compare against MA1 & MA2 to see if they qualify for those specifications; why they didn't do that from the get go is the interesting question, perhaps they did retest as they said in the email to have up to date proof/testing that it meets the proper requirements (in case it's validity of JASO specs is ever contested).
Right on once again that it's not on JASO'S official product listing, and I've really began to notice there's a LOT out there that aren't "JASO Approved" the more I've looked around (as you said, pure semantics). Mobil 1 10W40 isn't, their 20W50 doesn't state any JASO stat. because of it's higher phosphorus levels, all the Castrol oils (partial and full syn) say they also meet specs, Valvoline (petroleum/syn), etc. It seems that mostly "Motorcycle Specific" oils are the few that tend to go for the official approval like Spectro, Motul, Motorex, Repsol, etc.

Here's a link for those that are interested from JASO's latest 2011 Implementation Manual on pg. 6 qualifying the differences in dynamic, static, and stop time indexes for MA, MA1, and MA2 approval on page 6.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1105.pdf

One point to note is that if all of the 3 testing results don't fall within a particular rating (MA2 being the highest/best rating) it cannot have that rating. For instance, if 2 of the tests confirm MA1, but one of the tests falls within MA specs, it has to be labeled MA, not MA1. Same with MA2, if it does not completely fall within the specs of MA2 in all three tests, then it cannot be labeled MA2.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

To clarify, dynamic friction represents clutch feel and how power transfers through the clutch, static friction measuring resistance to clutch slippage under high torque conditions, and stop time index measuring how quickly the clutch engages.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I wonder if they tested the new T5 15w-40 synthetic blend against JASO MA/MA2. The spec isn't listed on the label, but maybe they tested it anyway?
smile.gif

I emailed Shell tech support tonight asking this very question. Keep your fingers crossed!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I emailed Shell tech support tonight asking this very question. Keep your fingers crossed!

Someone on here already asked. SOPUS said they haven't tested it.

I asked them because 10-40 is a very common weight oil used for bikes. Heres the exact reply from: [email protected] :

We have not tested Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend Oil SAE 10W-40 against the properties of JASO MA2. However, as Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40 (a full conventional product) and Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-40 do meet the requirements of the specification, I would expect that Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend Oil SAE 10W-40 would likely meet the requirements also.

Unfortunately, we do not have a listing of retailers for the product in any specific area. It would be possible to purchase case quantities of the product through our distributor network. Distributors for your area may be found by using the locator at http://www.shell.us/products-services/so...r-locator.html.

I got a reply. But bitog member njohnson gets credit for the first spotting, not me. he saw it at Rural King.

Robert,

Yours is the first public spotting of the new Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend Oil SAE 15W-40 we in the Shell Lubricants Technical Information Center have heard of - congratulations! This product is so new that, unfortunately, the only version of the technical data sheet available is in draft form and not quite ready to be sent out.

We have not tested any of the Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend products against JASO MA/MA2. However, like the full conventional Shell Rotella T Triple Protection Oil SAE 15W-40, the synthetic blend product contains no friction modifiers that would be likely to cause slippage of a wet clutch. While no guarantees can be made, it would be my expectation that Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend Oil SAE 15W-40 would meet the requirements of these JASO specifications.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!

T5 15w-40 is surely an interesting product. I guess real life experiences will eventually tell, but one would expect it to be even more shear stable than the mineral T 15w-40 and possibly capable of somewhat longer OCI.

I'm hoping the new T5 15W40's cST will be about the same as the conventional Rotella T 15W40 @ 15.5
That gives some room to shear and remain in grade. So many XXw40's have a cST from about 13.2 - 14.2 leaving a narrow margin for staying in grade when any shearing occurs.

Wait! Shell now has 15W40 in a T5 synthetic blend? My apoligies for being late to the show... but I have not seen it for sale anywhere. Anyone else?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That gives some room to shear and remain in grade. So many XXw40's have a cST from about 13.2 - 14.2 leaving a narrow margin for staying in grade when any shearing occurs.

Is it really that critical to stay in grade? Will your bike really notice a difference between a thin 40 and a thick 30 at the end of the OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back