Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30, 2009 Nissan 370Z, 4980 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first Blackstone Report using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 Euro. I had been running Redline 5W-30 with good results since the 5000 mile mark on the engine. I switched to Ultra at 35K and put just under 5000 miles on this sample. It performed well, but it will remain to be seen if I can find this oil again for sale at a retailer or online. Too bad as it was quite a bit less expensive than Redline. Notice the reduction in oil added between changes (1/3 quart vs. 1.25-1.5 quarts with the Redline). I don't know if this engine has finally settled down or if for some reason it just doesn't burn as much Ultra.

Last edited:
Sopus oils, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Shell all have some of the lowest NOACK numbers out there and Ultra has the lowest! So its probably Ultra doing a fine job. Not that Redline isnt a good oil, its just not its finest feature.

Sopus oils, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Shell all have some of the lowest NOACK numbers out there and Ultra has the lowest! So its probably Ultra doing a fine job. Not that Redline isnt a good oil, its just not its finest feature.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Dirt is a little high but the wear doesn't seem affected, what air filter are you using? Must be an oiled cotton gauze??

The 370Z has dual air filters. I forget the brand I installed about 10K miles ago, they are either Fram or STP, standard pleated paper filters. Help me understand the "dirt". I don't see elevated silicon and the other minerals are below the averages on the report except for the magnesium. Am I missing something ?

Last edited:
For comparison (small sample set) the universal they list for silicon is 22, and for my 3 report (2010 Z) my average silicon is 9.

My OCIs range from 6-7500mi using PU for those 3 reports. I posted my results to the form, just search if you would like to see.

Yours is higher...but I don't think its anything alarming. Your metals are low, lead very low. My last report had a spot of lead but its still no where near the danger zone
smile.gif

- b

does this mean the 370Z likes a thicker oil? hard to imagine a fine new engine like that burning up 1.5 qts in 5K...repeatedly.

How hard driven? its on the short list for my next car.

what's next? maybe PP 10W-30

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer

Red Line 5W-30 used to have a 6% NOACK. In the Amsoil test RL came in closer to 5% and was actually less volatile than Ultra 5W-30, which was 2nd lowest.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]does this mean the 370Z likes a thicker oil? hard to imagine a fine new engine like that burning up 1.5 qts in 5K...repeatedly.

How hard driven? its on the short list for my next car.

what's next? maybe PP 10W-30

The 3.7VHR can consume some oil. Some early 09's and 10's have had long block replacements due to excessive oil consumption (there is a TSB for testing ).

My '10 used more oil early in its life. Last few OCI's its been about 1 qt every 3-4K miles which is well within spec for any car based on when a company will replace the engine.

US spec is 5w30 only (guessing for MPG). Rest of the world can run full range to 40w

Once out of warranty my Z may be seeing some M1 0w40 to see how it likes that formula. I only have 3 more oil changes with ye olde PU before I have to change flavors anyway
smile.gif

- b

So without tbn and tan you don't know whether the oil has any life left in it. 5000 miles on ultra sounds painfully short,knowing what it's capable of.
Thanks for posting

Originally Posted By: bvl
Once out of warranty my Z may be seeing some M1 0w40 to see how it likes that formula.

Maybe I've been lucky. I've never had to do any top ups of any sort, and I've used QSGB 5w-30, PYB 10w-30 and 5w-30, and the Delvac 1. In any event, your experienced consumption of 1 quart per three to four thousand miles isn't half bad. That's almost insignificant on a severe service OCI.

I will watch the oil consumption carefully on this OCI also. I am hoping that it just too 35K miles for the engine to fully break in and the consumption dropped on it's own.
That said, it looks like I won't be able to find any more of the 05W-30 Ultra anyway. If I switch back to Redline and the consumption goes up again I'll know the answer but just may have to live with it. I averaged about 1.25-1.5 quarts per 5000 miles with the Redline vs. about 1/3 of a quart with the Ultra but I don't attribute that to the Ultra with just one OCI to go by.
The car is a daily driver, never tracked and occasionally driven in a "spirited" manner. I'll check the air filters and make sure they are well sealed in case they are the cause for the silicon readings.

Every AZ I`ve been in carries the 40 weight PU. Since the thicker PU did a better job in your Z,I`d try a fill of the PU 40 weight next oci.

Originally Posted By: Dwight_Frye
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Dirt is a little high but the wear doesn't seem affected, what air filter are you using? Must be an oiled cotton gauze??

The 370Z has dual air filters. I forget the brand I installed about 10K miles ago, they are either Fram or STP, standard pleated paper filters. Help me understand the "dirt". I don't see elevated silicon and the other minerals are below the averages on the report except for the magnesium. Am I missing something ?

Here is my G37 report with same time on oil, and this was over the winter with frequent sub 0 temps. i did not add a drop of oil over the interval. will be running 7K this time around
6jk5l3.jpg

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3277223/2010_G37xS_Schaeffer's_5W30_5,#Post3277223

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back