oil info please

Status
Not open for further replies.
my shop were i work gave 5 gal of new unopen 5w 50 from shaffer, i have a 1953 f100 with a chevy 350 that came from a 82 or 83 i think, , dont know how many miles, , anyway my oil pressure drops down after running for a while, i still hold about 10 lb at idle around 700 rmp anyway would this oil help me? i think its a synthic oil , dont know for sure, , i am running 10w40 now, , or stright 40 dont know, ,

Thanks

I will change back in the fall or winter, right now on cold start i have about 50 or so, , is there a too much pressure to have? i dont want to blow anything
Thanks

That was a different car but basic the same thing, seems like every old car i get it has bad oil pressure,, i think this 5w 50 will work great,
Thanks

well i tried the 5w 50 and i think it was worse ,, and i drained it and it was like water , don't make sense , you would think it would be thicker, so i am going back to 15w 40,, now would being a synthetic oil make a difference ?? i mean useing a 15w40 reg compared to 15w40 synthetic ?
now on this truck i did replace the oil pump with a high flow

please give input

thanks

Last edited:
yes carb no fuel smell that i can tell it rune through the gas too much to tell it loves gas ,, why do you ask that ??

thanks

Originally Posted By: lilrobo
yes carb no fuel smell that i can tell it rune through the gas too much to tell it loves gas ,, why do you ask that ??

thanks

Well I'm sure he asked that to see if you had extreme fuel dilution from a bad tune with the carb.

Here's what I think. You have better oil pressure than you think. Usually old cars show very little on the gauge on a hot idle and that's ok. You are likely getting adequate pressure and the gauge itself just isn't very sensitive. You don't need much oil pressure at a hot idle anyway.

Stop wasting that 5w50 and just run it.

thanks
i have been told 10 lb for 1k rpm ,, i have installed new equs brand gauges it is a mech gauge too ( small tube that runs from motor ) the thing is its not very precise it starts off 0 and 1 small line and then another is 25 ,, so i really dont know , the reason i am doing all thins i am selling the truck and i dont want people to think its bad ,, now that being said what oil do you commend ? and does the lucus stuff help ??

thanks again

Just run the free stuff you got. When it's hot, that 5w50 isnt going to be any worse than a 15w40 for hot oil pressures. If you are selling the truck, skip lucas stuff etc. Just be upfront and honest and anybody that knows an old small block chvrolet will know what normal oil pressure looks like. Start it for them when the motor is cold and they can watch it spike and drop back down.

we got some 20w50 molly something also i dont think its synthetic,, i could tell the difference in the synthetic for sure ,,

thanks

Originally Posted By: lilrobo

thanks

My ranchero had. Power valve issue and about 1/4 a quart of fuel was in the oil. It thinned it out a bunch.

I also wouldn't rely too much on the light like others have indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back