Back to conventional oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now completed the full cycle from dino to synthetic and back to dino.

There are several reasons for this but the main reason is that oils that are labeled as synthetic oils in the U.S. may be synthetic or they may not be. The oil company marketing firms can pretty much claim whatever they want to.

I drove an 88 Toyota pickup for over 335,000 miles and it ran like new when I sold it in '97. I currently drive the Civic in my sig line with 220,000 miles and both vehicles were bought new and run with conventional oils.

I change my own oil and am not a fan of long oil runs which is one of the selling points of synthetics. Dino oils are better than ever with great additive packages and reasonably priced. Most people don't even keep their cars long enough to see the perceived benefits of synthetic oils anyway.

All thoughts, comments and disparaging remarks are welcome and encouraged.
wink.gif

If you do not do long OCI nor does your car need synthetic (boost, or OLM setup for synthetic, for example), then there is no point in using synthetic. Use whatever cheapest you want.

1. Starting in -10 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Hooning your engine up the Himalayas
3. 10K OCIs

These are reasons to run synthetics.

I switch between synthetic and conventional in my 360+k miles LS400 many times. OCI with conventional 6-8k/6mo and 13-16k/12mo with synthetic. FCI is once a year, reuse oil filter with dino.

Just whatever you can get for less $$$.

That is what I do. That is why I have a years worth of Pennzoil Ultra. For 3.00 a quart I will use "synthetic".

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You don't wanna use conventional oil. Conventional oil has molecules that roll like dice.

I can and will roll those dice on that bet.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
3. 10K OCIs

-10*F is nothing for conventional.

People tow up mountain ranges without issue on conventional all the time. I've been up I70 in the Rockies with Nextgen and NAPA 5W20 conventional.

There have been quite a few instances posted here where conventional did fine in excess of 10K miles. In addition, how many people here actually use their synthetic to it's full potential? Very Few. Some change it at 5K.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
3. 10K OCIs

-10*F is nothing for conventional.

People tow up mountain ranges without issue on conventional all the time. I've been up I70 in the Rockies with Nextgen and NAPA 5W20 conventional.

There have been quite a few instances posted here where conventional did fine in excess of 10K miles. In addition, how many people here actually use their synthetic to it's full potential? Very Few. Some change it at 5K.

My car made some interesting noise very briefly starting in -12F in January on conventional 5w30. After switching to 10w30 conventional the next -12F day no more noise.

I have tracked this same car in <100F degree heat with conventional and the UOA showed no evidence of any degredation in condiiotion. I left it in another 2K miles and still looked good.

Agree that conventional has improved, so has synthetic. Nice to have a choice. Run what is spec'd
Major brands / reputable house brands.
I'd just stay away from those off the wall bottles, like those that are not up to par per PQI. Some are horrible junk and those who know no better aren't doing their engines any favors.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I have now completed the full cycle from dino to synthetic and back to dino.

There are several reasons for this but the main reason is that oils that are labeled as synthetic oils in the U.S. may be synthetic or they may not be. The oil company marketing firms can pretty much claim whatever they want to.

I drove an 88 Toyota pickup for over 335,000 miles and it ran like new when I sold it in '97. I currently drive the Civic in my sig line with 220,000 miles and both vehicles were bought new and run with conventional oils.

I change my own oil and am not a fan of long oil runs which is one of the selling points of synthetics. Dino oils are better than ever with great additive packages and reasonably priced. Most people don't even keep their cars long enough to see the perceived benefits of synthetic oils anyway.

All thoughts, comments and disparaging remarks are welcome and encouraged.
wink.gif

hard to argue against that other than sins are close to dino in pricing I tend to lean towards the latter.

It's a no brainer for me.
When I can buy jugs of syn on sale for less than regular priced conventional it makes absolutely no sense buying conventional.

You don't wanna use conventional oil. Conventional oil has molecules that roll like dice.

Lol, drum queue

That Pnzl propaganda video was made by the Castrol Marktng team on loan.

Last edited:

X2

Been running conventional in my e-cho for a few years after many years running synthetic. Since I have to add several qts each OCI, it really makes sense; so I am buying stuff on sale.

My B2300 is sometimes out of my control, so 1 load of syn/year is what it gets in case it runs 8-12000+ miles.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
It's a no brainer for me.
When I can buy jugs of syn on sale for less than regular priced conventional it makes absolutely no sense buying conventional.

Conventionals can be found on sale just as easily as synthetics...

Synthetic makes sense for our vehicles; we switched over in 2005 as each vehicle was driven in excess of 25k each year, almost all highway.

Now in northern MT we have temps below zero F for 4+ months in a row, with nighttime getting down to -30.

If it was a moderate climate with a lesser amount of driving then conventional it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back