Kreen recommended, why not Chemtool B12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added 7.5oz of B-12 to my sump today as a test. Ive been running 5w-30 lately due to oil consumption in my 318i, as I wanted to limit converter exposure. I added the B-12 not because the engine was dirty at all or because of the consumption, it was because there is a lifter tick at cold start. Not sure if it is related to the consumption or not, but since nothing else fixed it, I figured Id give this a try. I figured Id go for a short OCI and then replace with something else when the weather gets warmer.

I finally got my Kreen over the weekend but I really needed to get my order to get the Aero-Kroil for a seized bolt on a control arm shaft nut/bolt where my alignment shims keep falling out on my 91 Cadillac Brougham.

Hopefully some day soon, I want to run an oil analysis, take a photo under the valve cover when I get a new camera from the one I dropped, run B12 when doing an oil change flush, take another photo, run the Kreen, then take another photo every 1000 miles.

Too much crisis going on in my life, so who knows when I can do this.

I'm also looking for an articulating Borescope which will take photos and video either by Extech:
Extech HDV640 Borescope

or by Rigel to inspect the combustion chamber and behind the intake valve so I can start to test carbon cleaners.
Rigel Scope

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I added 7.5oz of B-12 to my sump today as a test. Ive been running 5w-30 lately due to oil consumption in my 318i, as I wanted to limit converter exposure. I added the B-12 not because the engine was dirty at all or because of the consumption, it was because there is a lifter tick at cold start. Not sure if it is related to the consumption or not, but since nothing else fixed it, I figured Id give this a try. I figured Id go for a short OCI and then replace with something else when the weather gets warmer.

I would be very interested in your results, please update later!

Yes, I promise if I can actually perform my tests which is what I always wanted to do and do a write-up. I'll buy either of those scopes, but personally, I'm going to pieces and so are my cars! A lot of [censored] in my life.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I'm no chemist....but they seem very similar.....Kreen just keeps their formulation under wraps.....Berryman's is very open per their MSDS......some acetone, methanol, Xylenes, and some other stuff......

I'm done piston soaks with both B12 and Kreen and it's NOT the same thing. Kreen smoke is very bad smelling and very toxic, you don't even want to be near it. Halogenated hydrocarbons is my best guess.

How did you do the Piston Soak? Did you pour it down the throttle body when the engine was running or just squirt the products into the spark plug hole?

Were you able to confirm either products effectiveness?

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
The engine in question (1ZZ-FE) is known to have too hot pistons. That was one part of the problem. Now, the consumption that came back was slow, but it was not zero.

I like B-12 Chemtool as a flush. I just used it yesterday in my 1ZZ-FE. Poured 75% of the can into the sump and the other 25% into the fuel tank and drove for 30 minutes (43 miles - Mixed city/hwy). Got home and did my oil change. As of yet, I don't have any oil consumption issues. My milage is still low so time will tell (56,300 miles).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bumping this old thread because it's so informative!

Look and enlarge the last picture for historical information.

06.gif

I'll always try the B-12 first in oil and combustion chambers, and gas tank............! Thanks for the video and post.
Keep that ol' B12 Can and frame it in a "Shadow Box Frame"!!!!!

I wouldn't put it in the crankcase of a modern engine, I'd be sceptical of what it would do to seals. I've used it it the tank though, one can every 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back