Is CAM2 ATF+4 OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably just fine.

Chrysler is being unreasonably stupid and childish with their ATF+4 licensing. Not only do they require a very specific formula and ingredients, but they also specify the specific suppliers of those ingredients. It's mainly a cash grab more than anything.

There are probably other ways to meet the ATF+4 performance standards without dealing with Chrysler's byzantine antics.

For example, Redline C+ isn't licensed ATF+4, but it's in fact much better than what Chrys;er requires. But they can't get the license because they don't use a special group III base from SK, Petro-Canada, or Shell and the only add pack which comes from Lubrizol.

If you're out of warranty, get the Cam2 and tell Chrysler to shove it.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
It's probably just fine.

Chrysler is being unreasonably stupid and childish with their ATF+4 licensing. Not only do they require a very specific formula and ingredients, but they also specify the specific suppliers of those ingredients. It's mainly a cash grab more than anything.

There are probably other ways to meet the ATF+4 performance standards without dealing with Chrysler's byzantine antics.

For example, Redline C+ isn't licensed ATF+4, but it's in fact much better than what Chrys;er requires. But they can't get the license because they don't use a special group III base from SK, Petro-Canada, or Shell and the only add pack which comes from Lubrizol.

Lots of opinion and vitriol. Do you have any facts to backup your words??
Quote:

If you're out of warranty, get the Cam2 and tell Chrysler to shove it.

Big words, are you willing to warranty the op's transmission??? Just asking..

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: atikovi
http://www.cam2.com/images/product_files/7392.pdf

I can get it for $4.50 a quart but it's not on Chrysler's list. http://centerforqa.com/chrysler/licensed-atf4-brands Any better or cheaper choice?
Synthetic blend?? +4 is a group III full synthetic, not a blend. I buy my +4 at W/M, $4.27/qt. Why would you want to gamble your $4000 transmission for some slick advertising?? I don't get it.

Wayne

First off, the entire car isn't worth $4,000, and if you mean the SuperTech, I think I'd rather trust a name brand like CAM2 over whatever SuperTech is, not to mention that the closest WM is a 40 mile round trip.

I can get it for $4.50 a quart but it's not on Chrysler's list. http://centerforqa.com/chrysler/licensed-atf4-brands Any better or cheaper choice?
Synthetic blend?? +4 is a group III full synthetic, not a blend. I buy my +4 at W/M, $4.27/qt. Why would you want to gamble your $4000 transmission for some slick advertising?? I don't get it.

Wayne

First off, the entire car isn't worth $4,000, and if you mean the SuperTech, I think I'd rather trust a name brand like CAM2 over whatever SuperTech is, not to mention that the closest WM is a 40 mile round trip.

I see.. You don't believe Chrysler when it says that all +4 is the same? You hate W/M? Ok, buy any house brand +4, it's all the same. Doesn't matter what your car is worth, the transmission still costs the the same. I guess when your transmission fails, you will junk the car and buy another.

Good luck,

Wayne

I guess when your transmission fails, you will junk the car and buy another.

Good luck,

Wayne

Well, it already has 200,000 miles so I'm already driving it on borrowed time.

I guess when your transmission fails, you will junk the car and buy another.

Good luck,

Wayne

Well, it already has 200,000 miles so I'm already driving it on borrowed time.
Not really, with reasonable care, it will go another 50k to 100k miles. Just out of curiosity what model & engine? I have 2 2.5L 4's a 3.0L, 3.3L & 3.8L V6's. All over 200K. Our new/used 2013 GC has already turned over 31K. I expect it will still be going strong at 200K.

Wayne

It's not on Chrysler's list because it's not an ATF+4 fluid.

Looking at the spec sheet it's designed to meet an older spec. The low temperature properties don't line up with the current Chrysler ATF+4, which I would interpret to mean it won't meet the current shear resistance, volatility, and visometric parameters of an actual ATF+4.

It's a $600 2001 Durango 4.7L.
Really! Not bad.. If the body is good and and you are comfortable with it, then keep on trucking... It's past the early failures and mid life crises, keep it serviced, change the ATF every 20k to 30k and drive on. I do a pan drop and filter change, that allows me to check for possible problems. I'm guessing this is a recent purchase. If you like, feel free to pm me with any questions.

Wayne

It's a $600 2001 Durango 4.7L.

It should have plenty of life left in it. The 545RFE trans isn't known for a lot of issues and the 4.7 is pretty solid unless it's abused.

Bought it in June 2012 when gas prices were well over $4 and have stored it until 2 months ago. Getting it serviced up to sell in a few weeks for hopefully around $2995.

All atf+4 is exactly the same. It's not a hard spec to meet its quite outdated actually. I would buy Supertech or house brand if you buy cam2 you are paying for a more expensive plastic bottle.

All certified ATF+4 is the same,and no matter what brand is on the label what's inside has to be consistent with the Chrysler formulation which iirc doesn't leave much room for variances.
Iirc they even dictate who the blender has to purchase the additive package from to meet the spec and gain official approval.
I've seen a couple brands,one in particular in a charger forum I belong to,where this brand has increased friction modifiers as well as other components,and his oil says "meets or exceeds" but isn't officially certified.
The ATF+4 spec may be old,and outdated however it sure seems to be doing its job because if never read of a truck nor a v8 tranny failure whatsoever and to be honest the only failures I've read about are with the cirrus and it's clones,never a 5 speed issue.
I'm not saying there aren't any failures what I am saying is I haven't read of any,that I can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back