Which Brake Fluid ? Prestone Valvoline or Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleeding the brakes is such a crucial part of brake maintenance that I wouldn't do it without a helper pressing the pedal. Even a few air bubbles degrade the brake performance substantially.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
AGREED, as far as "on the shelf" DOT 4s go (IF one can still find it on their fave store's shelf
wink.gif
).

I pay div>

Valvoline SynPower used to be close in specs to DOT 5.1. Then their labeling changed.

Last time someone did the brakes for my car, they used ATE fluid in a 1L rectangular can.

I've got various DOT 5.1 at home, including Motul and Wagner Severe Duty. The former I got at a motorcyle shop, and the later was special ordered at O'Reilly's.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Justin - With brake fluid, anybody's is just fine. And this is coming from a lube and snake oil guy!

But your bleed method is relying on luck. You really need to open and shut the bleeder in concert with a helper pressing and releasing the brake pedal. Your method is only guaranteed to work with speed bleeders - an aftermarket replacement. Or use a vacuum like a Mity Vac. Super easy.

Agreed. No other method is easier and faster than a Mityvac.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Justin - With brake fluid, anybody's is just fine. And this is coming from a lube and snake oil guy!

But your bleed method is relying on luck. You really need to open and shut the bleeder in concert with a helper pressing and releasing the brake pedal. Your method is only guaranteed to work with speed bleeders - an aftermarket replacement. Or use a vacuum like a Mity Vac. Super easy.

Agreed. No other method is easier and faster than a Mityvac.

Ive found it less than stellar. The end likes to slip off the bleeder, setting me back to square one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back