Is your AAA service paid up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to make a little public service announcement about my AAA service. I will NEVER let it expire again. A few months ago I wrecked my truck. It took 3 tow trucks 3 separate attempts to finally get my truck out of where it landed, and AAA covered the bill no problem. On the final attempt I had 3 trucks winching me out for over an hour. I asked one of the drivers how much this tow would have cost if I didn't have AAA, he just laughed at me.

The very next day I get the truck back to my shop and lock the keys inside. AAA was there in 15 minutes.

My AAA service expired last month, so instead I signed up with another company "Autovantage", because they were about half the price. As it turns out, that's because they don't cover anything!

My truck broke down again last night in an intersection. It took the idiots at Autovantage 11 minutes just to tell me F350s like mine are not covered! It would have been nice if they mentioned that before I signed up instead of hiding it deep in the fine print. (And they did ask what kind of vehicles I have) F250s are covered, and the only difference between a 250 and a 350 is springs. My truck is not a dually. They did offer to send a tow truck out for an additional $100. It would have been the same tow truck they sent for any other vehicle.

So I told them a few places they could stick their service and called AAA again. Apparently, I was still in the grace period, so they sent a truck out no problem. No charge. Not one penny. The driver didn't even want to see my AAA card. And he was quick!

The moral of the story: If you drive a car, you need AAA. You may think you have a reliable vehicle, since you just spent a pile of money on it like I did, but in reality, there is no such thing. I will complain to my bank to reverse the charges made by Autovantage, avoid them like the plague.

$5 on my auto insurance and I'm covered. Anyone can tow the truck, to my choice of destinations, within 150 miles.

I drive a tow truck. There are lots of things AAA will *not* cover. There are lots of places that won't accept AAA because they don't pay well. There are many restricted highways that won't take auto clubs.

With that information in your heads, do sign up for AAA. I have it, and I like it, and highly recommend it. But then again I know what they'll cover and I know which AAA shop I prefer towing my vehicle.

That all said, mine expired end of February, so thanks Number21 for the Public Svc. Announcment
wink.gif

AAA Plus membership is the biggest advantage. 4 uses of up to 100 mile tows each year for ~$80. The region you are in will really make a difference in who responds quickly, and who will respond at all. For example, where I am folks may wait 90 minutes for a Geico or Allstate affiliated tow truck to show up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PKNY1
There are lots of things AAA will *not* cover.

Such as? Around here it seems like they call whatever tow company is closest - I've seen 3 different companies come within 20 miles. Never had to wait more than 30 minutes.

I do have the "Plus" membership. Prior to all this other stuff, I had my other truck towed twice last year. That makes 5 total incidents and they didn't cut me off.

I do need to get something else that covers trailers though.

I have RoadAmerica. But I don't drive Fords so I'm good and haven't had a breakdown in 21 years.

Last edited:
Now you did it. You said it. You'll break down tomorrow now. Better start throwing salt over your shoulder or something.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I have RoadAmerica. But I don't drive Fords so I'm good and haven't had a breakdown in 21 years.

Same here. Such as??? What are some things they will not cover?

Originally Posted By: Number21
Originally Posted By: PKNY1
There are lots of things AAA will *not* cover.

Such as? Around here it seems like they call whatever tow company is closest - I've seen 3 different companies come within 20 miles. Never had to wait more than 30 minutes.

I do have the "Plus" membership. Prior to all this other stuff, I had my other truck towed twice last year. That makes 5 total incidents and they didn't cut me off.

I do need to get something else that covers trailers though.

I pay for (4) memberships; mine, my friends and her (2) sons who drive marginal vehicles. She said it is by far the best xmas gift I can give her since she doesn't have to leave work or spend $$ to bail their .... out. once, twice or three times a year.

I had one bad experience with a tow truck operator, but that was almost 30 years ago. Every call since then, no issues.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
She said it is by far the best xmas gift I can give her since she doesn't have to leave work or spend $$ to bail their .... out. once, twice or three times a year.

My AAA membership renewal is the Christmas gift that my Grandma gets me each year. Always one of my favorite gifts too.
thumbsup2.gif
Gives great peace of mind.

I got the best AAA pkg., but am maintenance obsessed, so don't use it often.

Just if we lock the keys in the car, etc.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

I prefer Fords, and have never ever ever ever had one towed.... Except for my Explorer which was covered by Ford. And fixed by Ford, nice try tho....Nissans btw are pure garbage... See how that works?

Yeah, tow companies are amongst the ranks of the biggest crooks, so it's nice to have a third party deal with it.

My dad got me AAA for a year. I barely used it. Just got 7% off at NAPA. I let it lapse.

They started sending me paper cards every six weeks; these cards were good for a month. I had them tow a volvo I had just bought eight miles to my house. The car had a bad ball joint so the wheel was hanging like a loose tooth and no license plates, and I was noowhere near it. They responded promptly. The bill was $12, I got 5 miles free then $4 a mile over that.

Then, suddenly, I got all this "welcome back" stuff in the mail and a bill. I was a member again. Read the fine print on the paper card and by using it I entered in a contract with them.

Well, shucks!

More fine print offered me a 30 day money back guarantee if I wasn't satisfied. I didn't like their marketing techniques and called them up, unsatisfied.

Punch line? I got black listed and am no longer getting junk mail from them. Just the way I want it!!!

The other moral of the story is, if you have expired AAA and need a tow, you can probably re-up your AAA right then and there and get the tow for about what you paid for the membership.

FWIW, a phone call to AAA of Northern New England (there are a bunch of AAA franchisees) gets picked up quickly by an American the next city over.

I was a AAA member for several years, but now I use Coachnet / National Motor Club. Prices are comparable with AAA plans above base level. Why did I move away from AAA? Because, when I actually used them one year (for a lockout), I was not allowed to upgrade to a higher level of membership the following year. I told them that would make me move to another provider, and of course that's the whole point, so I moved to Coachnet / National Motor Club instead. I have to say, the quality of service provided on the "front-lines" is MUCH BETTER with Coachnet / NMC.

When a tow company refused to pickup at an auto repair shop, they talked to the tow company to change their mind. When another tow company refused to drop off at an auto repair shop without the shop owner being there, they talked to that tow company to change their mind. And just overall, the customer service provided by Coachnet's service provider is leaps and bounds ahead of AAA. Not to mention RV tow service and unlimited tows for about the same price as AAA's above-base services. It's a no-brainer really. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Some years ago, my wife filled out a discount card for AAA that came in the mail. Why?
31.gif
Haven't needed a tow in 10 years... Later son needs a tow, took 1 1/2 hours and 3 calls, then the s0b charges me extra for over 8 miles. Not happy. Fast forward, same son different car, 3 hours/ many calls later, still no tow. Will not ever use AAA again. Now have towing on my car insurance for a small charge....

Wayne

I thought a lot of insurance companies today offer towing coverage? I have State Farm - $1.60 every 6 months per car gets you towing to the closest shop, or further depending on how nice your rep is.

I've had very mixed experiences with AAA. 8 years ago or so, my gf had AAA, I came out of an appointment and car wouldn't start, she came over, called AAA and I was set pretty quick. Fast forward 4 or 5 years (couple of years ago) - big snow storm I was coming around a bend and stalled, tried AAA for about 40 minutes, could not get through to a person, just a recording that all reps were busy due to high call volume. Finally got the car started and off the road, but coverage didn't make sense after that.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I thought a lot of insurance companies today offer towing coverage?

Sure, "to the closest shop", but AAA tows me 100 miles. Wherever I happen to be, the closest shop is most likely not where I want my vehicle taken. Also, I've never ever heard a good story about customer service from any insurance carrier. My own experience shows me they all behave the same way Autovantage does - and that is, when you need them, they turn into weasels. I find it hard to trust any auto related company, but insurance companies are at the bottom of my list, below used car salesmen.

I'm sure some other people have been unhappy with AAA before but at least the local version has proven to do me right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back