2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday at Bike Week Daytona, FL. I demo rode a brand spankin' new (240 miles) Ducati Multistrada 1200. The model I rode had lightweight bags on it, but otherwise, just off the showroom floor.

I make no secret about it, I love powerful, revvy, well tuned V-Twins. And after the wonderful magazine reviews, I knew I had to have a Multistrada. Even mama said it was OK for me to purchase one, not that she ever would tell me no, she's very cool!

I'll start with my conclusion: Despite my high hopes, I did not like the bike all that much. And I won't be purchasing one. I sure am glad I rode it!

Here is why. First off, it has multiple performance modes. All but "Sport 150HP, max" are really worthless detuning of an already mildly tuned bike. Second, the shift quality is the worst I have ever experienced. Impossible to find neutral, very stiff and wonky action at times. That'd be fine on the track, not fine in traffic. Third, the "sky hook" suspension is electronically adjustable. One person, Two, bags or not. All settings retained an unusual suspension feel. Not really all that compliant and certainly not the feel of a professionally configured suspension. Weird is the only way to describe it. Not bad, just different and slightly harsh.

But, to top it off, the engine is throttle by wire. And, it gives you the response some engineer thinks is right. There is a slight delay and it annoyed me. Clearly, a rapid, full twist resulted in a call down to the engine room "full steam ahead". But the throttle was opened partially at low RPM's and fully after a second or so. Like somebody else was in control. Making 2nd gear, roll on wheelies unlikely without some rider input (pulling on the bars or speed shifting) If you are looking for arm straightening, satisfying, mid-range torque, this bike ain't for you.

The "good" part was that plenty of power was available near it's 11,000 Redline. But you really had to work for it.

The bike could be absolutely perfect with just a few mods. And I'm 100% sure some owners will fix these issues. It's really too bad so many modern bikes are detuned because that is what they think we want.

ducati-multistrada-1-20_800x0w.jpg

Last edited:
I've only owned one TBW bike--a 2008 HD Ultra Classic. In that particular application, the TBW was undiscernible to me from a conventional cabled throttle, but the performance envelope is very different than the bike you demo'd. I never had any problems with it and it made the operation of the cruise control easier (throttle was at the idle position with cruise on). On my current Victory Cross Country, I have a conventional throttle set-up and it too works well. I believe that Victory will eventually move to a TBW scheme as well.

I wanted to add that the Multistrada really is a top heavy "feeling" bike. Almost more so than other adventure bikes. The Triumph Tiger 1050 is certainly more agile in some situations.

And, while the cornering is good on the Multi, I found it slightly difficult, or "odd" to change lean angles on the "on ramps and off ramps" at speed. Not bad, just weird. I'm not sure I like the "no dive" forks either.

I rode a Multi back to back with Tiger 1050, and I preferred the Triumph. To me, that triple was just way smoother then the Ducati twin.

TBW lag. just say NO oh heck NO!!!!

no no no no no

man that is so sad to read.

vauge/harsh suspension...on a new bike in 2014? again NO!

2 years ago i stayed in a hotel about 1 mile (we drove past it) the duc plant in bolonga. i didnt have time to try to even go take a tour but i really wanted to!

You must have got a dud. Mine will power wheelie in 2nd gear at will. No TBW lag either. If anything, it's almost too twitchy in sport mode.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
You must have got a dud. Mine will power wheelie in 2nd gear at will. No TBW lag either. If anything, it's almost too twitchy in sport mode.

Maybe they have been de-tuned for the Daytona test rides. Or possibly have a "Break-in" tune. I will say that this bike's throttle response was absolutely delayed. No way it was "too twitchy".

But that still does not explain why neutral was impossible to find, why the shifting was so incredibly stiff and the electronically adjustable suspension adjusted to all sorts of settings, none of which felt normal to me.

maybe that entire bike was a "lemon"

what you could do is go into a duck dealer.
show them the money.
tell them you want to test ride that (point to it) bike.
you want to verify the TBW, shifting and suspesion on it.
if they are good, you will buy....if not...byebye

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back