I need a good finishing polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need something I can use by hand. I'm currently using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound for removing larger blemishes, and Scratch-X on the smaller stuff, but I need something that will work as finishing polish as the Scratch-X leaves somewhat of a hazy look on the clear coat. Please, nothing that requires the use of a buffer, only stuff that works well by hand. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jasonal
i use this.....cheap and at harley dealerships too.

goes on easy....comes off easier than most any wax i have used....no residue either.

http://www.amazon.com/S100-13700W-Carnau...ywords=s100+wax

I don't believe that's a polish...it says it has no abrasives in it...I need something that will remove the micro-fine scratches the Scratch-X leaves...

CarPro Reflect has been my choice of a finishing polish. Menzerna SF4000 and HD Polish have also worked.

I don't think any mfg will advertise their polish to work optimally by hand, except Meguiars M205.

Originally Posted By: razel
+1. Along with Mother's Step 1.

+1 on Mothers Step 1.

Meguiar's swirl-x is a pretty fine OTC polish

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Megs Ultimate Polish for OTC.

By hand, OTC... hands down UP. (Ultimate Polish)

By hand I would have to recommend M205 over Ultimate Polish. Ultimate Polish just doesn't have enough cut to remove defects by hand. Whereas M205 is just loaded with SMAT abrasives and will have decent cut and will finish just as finely as Ultimate Polish.

Where do you find 205 over the counter though?

Without a doubt 205 if it was sitting beside UP on the shelf.

Usually people doing 'it by hand' aren't the mail order types... there are exceptions though.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Where do you find 205 over the counter though?

Without a doubt 205 if it was sitting beside UP on the shelf.

Usually people doing 'it by hand' aren't the mail order types... there are exceptions though.

I've seen it at Autozone.

Thanks for all the suggestions...I think I'm gonna try the 205...just wish it came in a smaller amount than 32 oz bottle though...

I actually found a place that sells the 105 and 205 in 12 oz sampler bottles...I ordered both...

Since M205 is a professional product it's really designed for high production places like body shops and professional detailers. Hence it only comes in the Costco size.

But with that said, once you try it, even by hand you'll never switch back to conventional polishes.

One tip when applying it by hand, use a mircofiber applicator, it'll give you more cut and a more even correction.

But I do suggest getting a machine. Even a cheap 6" random orbital they sell for about $20 at your local auto store or Walmart. The results you can get with it are many times better than what you can achieve by hand.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=202166&Number=3099907

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
Since M205 is a professional product it's really designed for high production places like body shops and professional detailers. Hence it only comes in the Costco size.

But with that said, once you try it, even by hand you'll never switch back to conventional polishes.

One tip when applying it by hand, use a mircofiber applicator, it'll give you more cut and a more even correction.

But I do suggest getting a machine. Even a cheap 6" random orbital they sell for about $20 at your local auto store or Walmart. The results you can get with it are many times better than what you can achieve by hand.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=202166&Number=3099907

The reason I like using polishes by hand is because I'm using them on a motorcycle...so it's always being used on small areas...I don't use this stuff on cars or I would be looking at investing in a polisher...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I actually found a place that sells the 105 and 205 in 12 oz sampler bottles...I ordered both...

Where did you find the samples at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back