Savage FCP-K in .308

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Yep, its the same stuff
smile.gif
Excellent quality but pricy, worth it though.

Seems to be overwhelming consensus that it is what I should be shooting, based on this thread, LOL!!!
grin.gif

BTW, they (the gun shop) are going to see if they are able to get an M99, I asked about it on Friday. Won't be something I pick up in the next little bit, but as noted in my other thread, it is on my "must own" list.

The local range I went to early last week said we are OK to shoot it there too, which I thought was pretty cool
smile.gif

An M99, now that's a serious piece of hardware! I like the Macmillan TAC-50 bolt action .50BMG as well, I think they are in use by our military.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yep, its the same stuff
smile.gif
Excellent quality but pricy, worth it though.

Seems to be overwhelming consensus that it is what I should be shooting, based on this thread, LOL!!!
grin.gif

BTW, they (the gun shop) are going to see if they are able to get an M99, I asked about it on Friday. Won't be something I pick up in the next little bit, but as noted in my other thread, it is on my "must own" list.

The local range I went to early last week said we are OK to shoot it there too, which I thought was pretty cool
smile.gif

An M99, now that's a serious piece of hardware! I like the Macmillan TAC-50 bolt action .50BMG as well, I think they are in use by our military.

They are, but the McMillan is literally twice the price of the M99, and both guns perform similarly
smile.gif
The McMillan is the gun of course that Rob Furlong used in his famous record-setting kills.

Originally Posted By: rockydee
Why not try rolling your own with SMK bullets?

I'm getting to that, LOL! Don't have any of the equipment yet.

Smart move my friend.
smile.gif
You can go less expensive and pretty good with Lee. Or get a nice RCBS Rock Chucker press, a good scale, dies, etc, and get into some real precision hand loading if that's what you're after. .308 is a great round to re-load for, an awesome round in fact.

Hornady makes a nice press too, the lock and load. I use three presses, my buddy uses a turret press. I see one in my future.

Last edited:
Surprised both myself and my buddy this weekend:

steelplate01.jpg

steelplate02.jpg

steelplate03.jpg

The through shots are from the .308 and the .300 win mag. Not surprised about the win mag, but definitely was with the .308. Those were just 150gr Federal (I have a fair chunk of that stuff) lead tipped. I had already fired off the 180gr Remington and the rest of my Hornady JHP's by the time we started to shoot things other than targets.

Put another 110 rounds through it on Saturday. The smaller ding in the plate was from another guy who came out and was shooting a 243. The not-through dents are from when the plate was on an angle and the .308 wouldn't punch through it. Hand no problem when it was vertical though, and I put a lot more holes through it after these pics.

shocked2.gif
That was with lead tipped bullets? Were they steel core or something? And some of that looks to be double layer ... nuts.
shocked.gif
How far away were those shot made?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
shocked2.gif
That was with lead tipped bullets? Were they steel core or something? And some of that looks to be double layer ... nuts.
shocked.gif
How far away were those shot made?

Yessir, lead-tipped Federal 150gr rounds. $20/box. Nothing special about the core AFAIK
21.gif

Box says muzzle velocity of 2,820fps w/2,650lb-ft of energy. They are "medium game" loads.

Distance was 100 yards.

Yes, the front plate was double-layer, but it was thinner layers. The back piece was thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back