purolator oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
im wondering if the premium plus filter is any good i used only ac delco previously for my 98 grand am 3.1 but i get purolators for 2 for 5 at pepboys are these good for 4000 mile changes

They are good filters, the one big question mark for me is their bypass valve location. It's on the end of the element away from the opening in the can. When it goes into bypass, the bypassing oil washes over the dirty side of the filter before it gets to the bypass.

Whether that really matters or not is debatatable, but it certainly won't give you cleaner oil in bypass than a bypass valve on the near end of the element.

Not all Purolator filters have the bypass valve in the closed end, it depends on the part number. There are at least 2 Ford spec Purolators that have it in the threaded end.

Dave

GM applications do not have a bypass in the filter, so you don't have to worry about that. Purolators have, in my opinion, the best construction. According to recent testing it seems to have lots of flow and good filtering. It's the best All around filter IMO.

-T

Yeah, what T-kieth said is true.

Actually, thanks to his study, I have stopped using AC Delco on my Grand Am, and started using the Purolator. I like the fact that Purolator is consistant... AC Delco has THREE manufacturers for thier filters (Champion, Delphi, and a Mexican company not affiliated with either), so not all AC filters are created equal.

There are two types of Purolators, the "regular" and the plus. The plus filters down a lot better but there has been some talk about flow. There were actually some tests done on the plus filters and it showed they in did in fact filter a little slower. However, that oil was at room temperature and not actual operating temperature. I have been using the plus on my 02 Accord and UOA's have shown the filter to be doing a stellar job. This is with OCI's around 5 to 6K. I use the "regular" one on my '90 Cutlass, and it too has shown great UOA's with dino every 3 to 4K.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Yeah, what T-kieth said is true.

Actually, thanks to his study, I have stopped using AC Delco on my Grand Am, and started using the Purolator. I like the fact that Purolator is consistant... AC Delco has THREE manufacturers for thier filters (Champion, Delphi, and a Mexican company not affiliated with either), so not all AC filters are created equal.

Actually the Mexican company is owned by Champion, and now uses their manufactoring standards according Filter Guy. Plus those filters are only found at AutoZone. I'm glad you got something out of my site, but I'm suprised it was this.

I found all AC-delco filters to be very good.

-T

quote:

Champion Labs bought a filter manufacturer in Mexico back in the late 1990's.

They converted the plant to the way Champ builds things.

Champ put their own plant manager in charge there there.

But when they bought the plant, they signed an agreement no more than 20% of the filters produced there could be imported into the USA. ( this also appeased US workers who were afraid they would lose their jobs. They haven't, as actually Champ is expanding US production)

The primary purpose of the plant was to supply OEM's in Mexico and export to South and Central America where the import duties are less for goods made in Mexico rather than goods made in the USA.

There are Mexican Champ Labs-made AC Delco filters, and there are Mexican Gohner Manufacturing-made AC Delco filters. The two are completely different.

There are THREE manufacturers for AC Delco filters. I agree that the Champ Labs and Delphi filters are quality parts, and I would use them. The Gohner's look CHEAP to me, so I avoid them.

Filter guy will have to speak up here, but I believe the company he was refering to WAS Gohner.

-T

quote:

Actually the Mexican company is owned by Champion, and now uses their manufactoring standards according Filter Guy.

You sure about that? I received e-mail from AC Delco telling me that it was a different company, after I mailed them a suspected counterfiet PF-454. They confirmed that it WAS a genuine AC Delco, but it was NOT a Champion or Delphi.

I'll dig up the e-mail and post when I get home.

Nevermind... I DID post the info already.

The "new" Mexican filters found at Advance Auto are made by "Gohner Manufacturing". See post:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001489

quote:

Good morning John, I apologize for taking so long to respond to the final
outcome of our suspect Mexican oil filter. On 4/15/04 our resident expert
Jan Stanton, after a thorough examination of the filter and in consultation
with her engineering contacts, deemed the filter a genuine AC Delco
product. The maker of the filter is Gohner Manufacturing of Mexico. Once
again I thank you for your vigilance in our effort to combat the global
counterfeiting problem. Please call or e-mail me anytime in the future if
you suspect counterfeit products.

Ahhh... here we go... I do not see any reference to Champion labs on Gohners site?
confused.gif

http://www.grupogonher.com:9000/_ScriptLibrary/XSite.Eng/GrupoGonher/gonher_dmex.htm

Here is oil filter literature. Can anyone read spanish?

http://www.grupogonher.com:9000/_ScriptLibrary/XSite.Eng/Gonhermex/componentefiltrosellado.pdf

Champs plant is across the street from the Gohner one. Gohner was instrumental in getting things going with some Mexican government help fro Champ to build their plant. The Company Champ bought was closed down and the equipment moved to a new purpose built, Champ run plant.

It helps with the Mexican content law that suppliers can ship to one location.

As for the AC product. If the aftermarket filter is for a GM engine, it is most likely built by AC. If the filter is for any other engine, it is most likely built by Champ. That's the easiest way to explain it. Naturally, there are GM engine filters built by Champ as neccessary when AC aftermarket requires them.

But the AC that you see in stores and AC that goes on the engines when new is a different story. As far as I know, the Mexican made product is US aftermarket only. AC supplies the GM engine plants. Champ is the secondary supplier to the engine plants. Champ used to do the Corvette filter under an AC label and may still do, for instance.

But when you get to Detroit Diesel , which used to be owned by GM but not any more...and used to be AC filter design, but not any more...it's most likely to be Fram built
shocked.gif

And that's another story for another day..

It's all confusing and they like to keep it that way..
tongue.gif

So what about the Mexican made AC-delco filter at autozone? It's not a Delphi made one or a typical Champion product?

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back