Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in using Meguiars Ultimate Compound to take out light scratches & swirl marks. The last time I was at the dealer they ran my can through their automatic cash wash. Basically the car is covered in fine micro scratches, probably caused by dirty & abrasive brushes.

Is this product safe on a relatively new car? And are their any special steps involved while using this compound?

-Thanks

It's a pretty off-the-shelf product. We recently talked about it on here and someone chimed in that it's effectively the same as the professional M105/M205 product, just with more lubricants. It can be applied by hand, but a machine will give the best results.

I use it "a lot", like 3 bottles Spring-early Fall.

Really like the results on light-to-medium scratches. Comes off easy too.

It should handle that.
thumbsup2.gif

Awesome, I'll pick up 2 bottles just in case. I have a 10 inch orbital buffer, but I think a 7 inch polisher would be best?

Any recommendations on which polishing pad to use?

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Awesome, I'll pick up 2 bottles just in case. I have a 10 inch orbital buffer, but I think a 7 inch polisher would be best?

Any recommendations on which polishing pad to use?

Bigger is not always better. You can't apply the same amount of pressure since the surface is so big. The pro-sumer buffers (Porter-Cable 7424XP, Griots, Meguiar's G110, etc) are typically 5".

I added a bottle of Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to my "Fischer-Price My First Dual-Action Polisher Detailing Kit."

I don't mind if I don't get professional results, but given the state of both the Scion and the Camry I'm sure there will be a nice improvement. As I get experience I'll push towards more specialty products.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I added a bottle of Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to my "Fischer-Price My First Dual-Action Polisher Detailing Kit."

I don't mind if I don't get professional results, but given the state of both the Scion and the Camry I'm sure there will be a nice improvement. As I get experience I'll push towards more specialty products.

Yeah, even a cheap random orbital will work better than hand-application. You just can't expect miracles or deep-swirl removal.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yeah, even a cheap random orbital will work better than hand-application. You just can't expect miracles or deep-swirl removal.

I picked up the cheap one for Harbor Freight to get started. From what I've read it's a decent unit for the amateur detailer who doesn't stress his equipment too much. I might use it six times a year at most.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Where can one buy "Meguiars Ultimate Compound" ?

Walmart, Autogeek, Amazon, Detailed Image, Advance Auto, etc.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

I did exactly what you did. Results can be seen here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3098049/Cruze_Detail#Post3098049

Expect a very noticeable difference as long as you take your time.

Last time I purchased Megs UC was at AutoZone. They had a BOGO on Meg's Ultimate products, IIRC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
It's a pretty off-the-shelf product. We recently talked about it on here and someone chimed in that it's effectively the same as the professional M105/M205 product, just with more lubricants. It can be applied by hand, but a machine will give the best results.

After reading up on these products, I believe the UC is a bit more aggressive than the 105, and it's definitely more aggressive than the 205 as it's a finishing polish (something you'd use just before applying wax).

105 is definitely more aggressive than Ultimate Compound.

M105 can easily take out 2000 grit wet sanding haze by hand. In my experience pretty much no other compound or polish can readily do that, and the biggest benefit is even with just a few passes by hand you leave pretty much a wax ready finish.

Ultimate Compound on the other hand will take some working to remove 2000 grit wet sanding haze. It'll do it but it takes more muscle. That's why I M105 is considered the "big guns" of the compounds. I hesitate to use it on anything but the worst of the worst paint conditions.

And now from what I've read Meguiars has surpassed the cut level of M105 with M101. Cuts scary fast but I don't feel I need anything more powerful than M105. Plus on reading I think M101 doesn't leave as fine a finish as M105 which if not overworked really will leave a wax ready finish.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?56732-The-true-story-of-Meguiar-s-M101-%28overview%29

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude

And now from what I've read Meguiars has surpassed the cut level of M105 with M101. Cuts scary fast but I don't feel I need anything more powerful than M105. Plus on reading I think M101 doesn't leave as fine a finish as M105 which if not overworked really will leave a wax ready finish.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?56732-The-true-story-of-Meguiar-s-M101-%28overview%29

The finish quality of M101 really varies. I've personally seen it scour soft Tesla paint after only 1 pass with a polishing pad, but on harder clears, it seems to finish out great.

I know that you are not a fan of diminishing products, but after using M101, Menzerna FG400 feels like a medium polish in comparison...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Swift101
Those are some nice results!

Would something like this be okay as well?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-variable-speed-dual-action-polisher-69924.html#.Uyt1VvldXq4

That's the exact machine I used, along with the HF pads. I got 2 of each pad so a single pad could do half the car. Then when it was loaded up with wax/compound, a fresh pad was ready to do the other half of the car.

It is very important to clean your pads after each section that you do. Shop air works the best, but a nail brush will also work (but at a greatly reduced effectiveness).

The removed paint debris will greatly impact the finish quality if the pad is not cleaned after each section. I usually use a pad for about 2 panels (with cleaning "on the fly" after every section) and then I will rinse it out and spin it dry before putting it back into service.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The finish quality of M101 really varies. I've personally seen it scour soft Tesla paint after only 1 pass with a polishing pad, but on harder clears, it seems to finish out great.

I know that you are not a fan of diminishing products, but after using M101, Menzerna FG400 feels like a medium polish in comparison...

I did recently buy a bottle of M101 since a coworker wanted me to polish his car before a sale. I usually use these opportunities to try out a new product. They buy me the product I want to use and they get a free detail and I get to keep the rest. That's usually the arrangement I make.

After using it on some similar paint and knowing his paint condition on his Pontiac G6, I don't think I'll be using M101. Too aggressive. It's going to be simply clayed and polished with D151 since he's selling it. And the headlights will be cleared with the M101 on a polishing pad.

Considering I keep my cars in good condition I rarely ever have to use M105 on a detail except on faded headlights where it sees regular use and by hand on the odd paint etching. M101 probably will mostly be used for that too or for polishing some fiberglass items that have faded where I know M105 tends to clog and dust too much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back