US control of internet to go to UN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mystic
Thanks a lot for your support ToyotaNSaturn. I have been laughing at some of the commentary here in this post. If somebody knows how to use the internet there is lots of information about this. The Wall Street Journal had an article. It seems like guys who are interested in computer technology and the internet would be aware of all of this but apparently some people are not. If the UN does take over control of the internet and some countries like Russia and China get a lot of control they may wish they had paid more attention. There have already been things done in some countries to shut down free expression and silence certain groups and not allow certain content.

On the other hand the USA has angered a lot of people in other countries by trying to spy on everybody and everything. But I would rather have the USA in control than some group of countries at the UN.

The news media in this country is in pretty bad shape but still there is abundant information available on all of this.

So which is it? Is the UN taking over the Internet or not?

You started the thread with this statement:

Quote:
There is a report that the Commerce Department is going to turn over to the UN some aspects of the internet that is currently controlled by the US.

That is a definite statement. The Commerce Department IS going to turn over...

Your last post says this:

Quote:
If the UN does take over control of the internet and some countries like Russia and China get a lot of control they may wish they had paid more attention.

This is not a definite statement. "If" indicates this is a conditional statement and not certain.

So which is it? You've told us all of the many reports but have called it both ways. Is the UN getting control of the Internet or isn't it?

You seem to be as confused as the news media you hold in such disdain on this issue.

I think the people having nightmares about the blue-helmets coming for them in their black helicopters don't really know what ICANN does, or how it's worked for some time.

JMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back