A Friend's 1985 Buick LeSabre - Which Oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, the HVAC guy that just came over has an '85 LeSabre and we got talking oil.
smile.gif

He's currently running regular off-the-shelf Valvoline 10w-40.

Should a 1985 GM V8 run today's PCMO with it's reduced Zinc & Phosphorous, or should it run a Shell Rotella or Mobil 1 TDT or any other Heavy Duty Engine Oil/Diesel Oil?

"Jesse" will probably be reading your responses!

Thanks!!

It's probably a roller-cammed Oldsmobile 307 cui. V-8, so the particular brand or type of oil really doesn't matter. Those engines don't beat the oil up and any 10W-30 (or 5W-30 is what I would prefer in Minnesota) will be fine. If an HDEO would make him (or you!) feel better, Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 would do great.

If it has the Olds 307, it has roller lifters anyway, but even the 231 V6 would be fine with modern SN rated oil.

My brother runs Mobil 1 5W30 in his Rocket powered Omega (engine is not stock!).

Never had one problem with a cam or lifter.

That cam is broken in (near broken??) with very mild profile - zddp PPM doesn't matter and wont help - More concern for piston skirts and lands to prevent stick/slip at tdc/bdc - that's where a load of zddp might smooth things if noticeably rattly.
Optionally, a big moly and Boron package (Infineon) would be something to look for in a lube.
If you REALLY worry about phos levels, change your oil more often - that's all. The stuff gets "used up" during EP events though it will show up the same "unconverted" or "used up" on your UOA.

You're still looking at ~120Kmi service life on a non roller and ??? on a roller.

Last edited:
I believe he changes oil every 4,000 miles.

It gets 12 miles per gallon, but he LOVES this car he got for free from someone...

Oh wow. Dad had an '84 LeSabre with the same Olds 307 engine. That was such a fine engine. Never had a bit of problem with it.

I'd personally be running Rotella T (or T5) 10w-30 in it, without any question.

Originally Posted By: Turk
I believe he changes oil every 4,000 miles.

It gets 12 miles per gallon, but he LOVES this car he got for free from someone...

Remember that the engine is but one piece of the puzzle -- I'd be much more concerned with the transmission.

Lets see, a 29 year old ride, still runs, so why change oil if whats work is working. PS, makes you wonder why they changed the engine design when what was working is working.................

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Lets see, a 29 year old ride, still runs, so why change oil if whats work is working. PS, makes you wonder why they changed the engine design when what was working is working.................

Gas prices?! 12 mpg...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Gas prices?! 12 mpg...

That is awfully low mpg. It should get better than that.

Yep, I told him it should be better.... Should do a tune-up.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Yep, I told him it should be better.... Should do a tune-up.

Yes; if it were a '65 Buick, 12 mpg wouldn't be out of line, I'd guess. But by '85 GM and everyone else were very much aware of fuel economy. The only way they could have sold a 12-mpg car in '85 is if it were a fire-snorting super-performance model.

GLAD to get the responses (before I devolved what I told him)!!
laugh.gif

The oil I mentioned after a long discussion to him was ........

"At least go to PYB, especially for the Moly add. pack, but may be better off with Rotella 10w-30."

Guess I wasn't too far out of line with my fellow oil buffs...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The 307 in his LeSabre went roller for '85 -- no need for anything exotic here.

I don't think that the Olds went to roller lifters until '86. Yes, the cams were all mild back then and the valve spring loads were low, but this is a carbureted engine that is still more prone to fuel dilution than the later injected ones. Valvoline VR1 10w30 is my "go to" oil for carbureted flat tappet engines.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The 307 in his LeSabre went roller for '85 -- no need for anything exotic here.

I don't think that the Olds went to roller lifters until '86. Yes, the cams were all mild back then and the valve spring loads were low, but this is a carbureted engine that is still more prone to fuel dilution than the later injected ones. Valvoline VR1 10w30 is my "go to" oil for carbureted flat tappet engines.

From 1985 - 1990, the 307 was equipped with a 39° bank angle hydraulic roller camshaft and .921” diameter hydraulic roller lifters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back