Hyundai GDI engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is considering getting a new car and he is leaning towards Toyotas and Hondas. I know Hyundai has gotten a lot better but how reliable are these cars? They introduced a lot of GDI engines within the last few years and I wanted to know how reliable are these engines. My dad is looking for a compact sedan or a full size sedan( Elantra or Sonata). How do these cars compare against camrys, accords, etc in terms of engine reliability? Thanks

I have a 12 Forte for work. so far its been a good vehicle now w/34K on it.
I have a few UOA's here on it. 80/20 street/ hiway driven not to mention the 200lbs of gear in the trunk. mixed mode driving it tuns 20-26 mpg, strait hiway it can do as much as 40.
run Gumout AIO every OCI

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
My dad is considering getting a new car and he is leaning towards Toyotas and Hondas. I know Hyundai has gotten a lot better but how reliable are these cars? They introduced a lot of GDI engines within the last few years and I wanted to know how reliable are these engines. My dad is looking for a compact sedan or a full size sedan( Elantra or Sonata). How do these cars compare against camrys, accords, etc in terms of engine reliability? Thanks

Your post is confusing. Since you mentioned compact and assuming your dad is aging, get a Toyota Corolla. Every 2014 Corolla comes standard with LED headlights. They are supposedly the best headlight ever put on any vehicle which is a good thing for older people.

The elantra with the 2.0( sport version)is a direct injection. The 1.8 is multiport fuel injection(mpfi). If you don't want DI then the 1.8 is the way to go. The 1.8 makes 148hp the DI 2.0 is 173 hp. I have 24k on the elantra 1.8 no problems. My only complaint is there is no transmission dipstick and the radio display is too bright at night( you can turn off the display).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
The elantra with the 2.0( sport version)is a direct injection. The 1.8 is multiport fuel injection(mpfi). If you don't want DI then the 1.8 is the way to go. The 1.8 makes 148hp the DI 2.0 is 173 hp. I have 24k on the elantra 1.8 no problems. My only complaint is there is no transmission dipstick and the radio display is too bright at night( you can turn off the display).

yeah no dipstick and radio display to bright unless turned off.
Had thoughts of putting something (like a little tint sheet) over the radio display.

DD is a 2010 Hyundai Tucson 2.4L

I just had it in recently for a recall replacement on the stop lamp switch. And of course they offered a free courtesy multi-point inspection, so they could up-sell me on something needed. I was just under 60k, now over 60k, and the funny thing was, they couldn't find a thing to bring to my attention, except all looked in good order. What!... not going to tell me it needs something?
At 60k, all I've done is oil/filter changes, a cabin filter replacement, a engine air filter replacement, then just visuals.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: spasm3

yeah no dipstick and radio display to bright unless turned off.
Had thoughts of putting something (like a little tint sheet) over the radio display.

Glad to know i'm not the only one who thinks its too luminous at night!!
I was going to try the tint idea too, I think one of the companies makes a static cling removable tint. A small piece of that might work. I was going to try it but my wife does not want me to monkey with her car so i left it alone.

Last edited:
Radio display is too bright, wow!! They must be some great cars if that's the only thing you can find to complain about. The only thing I don't like about my GDI's is that they are a little noisy, not the quietest cars out there. Other than that I really like them. Both complaints are very minor and nit picky by us, they are good cars!

Originally Posted By: Texican
Radio display is too bright, wow!! They must be some great cars if that's the only thing you can find to complain about. The only thing I don't like about my GDI's is that they are a little noisy, not the quietest cars out there. Other than that I really like them. Both complaints are very minor and nit picky by us, they are good cars!

I'm happy with it. Some others who have driven elantras don't like them, but thats my only complaints!

We have an Elantra with the 1.8. It doesn't get the reported gas mileage even all hwy. In fact they got into big trouble a couple years ago about overrating the mileage by 2 mpg (40 hwy, now the stickers for the same engine say 38 - you'll get 36 at 65 with cruise on). We have a bad tire since new (now 31k miles) that the dealer has refused to even put on the lift to check out. Hard to get in and out of, but most small cars are. Not really any complaints other than that, but we might trade it in early and take a loss instead of even keeping it the whole duration of the lease.

[/quote]

Your post is confusing. Since you mentioned compact and assuming your dad is aging, get a Toyota Corolla. Every 2014 Corolla comes standard with LED headlights. They are supposedly the best headlight ever put on any vehicle which is a good thing for older people. [/quote]

Are you sure you don't mean HID headlights?

I'm not sure about the Hyundai Di engines but we have a few GM DI's in the family and we like them. Just change the oil when the OLM hits ~20% and you should have no problems.

Last edited:
Why not get a Chevy Cruze for about the same or less money? Very roomy car for what it is, American made with a good parts content and GM powertrains are second to none. No games with warranty issues either, like Hyundai and Kia.

If he's not paying attention to details of the drive and is just looking for reliable transportation a Hyundai product should be perfectly fine for him. If he's into his cars a little more and is paying attention to details he will find that the Hyundai doesn't have quite the same engine and suspension refinement you'd get in Civic/Accord (you'll note more of a "bang" than a "thunk" when going over medium/large bumps).

While this is probably an isolated incident, I have a friend who just got a new Elantra 2 months ago and last month he lost a U-joint and the car was out of commission for a week while the dealer fixed it (under warranty of course).

Last edited:
The Hyundai Sonata is by far the least noisiest sedan. My parents test drove a new camry and she felt it was noisy as it let too much road noise in. The same with the Honda Accord.

Now, she test drove a 2014 Sonata and liked how much quieter it was. She ultimately bought a Chevy Malibu due to it being cheaper and because my Step-dad leaned more towards GM lol. But I also have first hand experience with the newer Sonatas and they are quiet, smooth cars, great long commutes and they get great mileage on highway.

I own an accent, and yes, the GDI engines are clicky/clacky but that's to be expected. The Sonatas are just better at muffling the sound from the outside for when you are inside it.

The Buick Regal I'm driving now is a lot of fun without being too "sporty," and this comes from someone who loved his big Buick Park Avenue. The Regals have been getting good reliability ratings, I think, and the 2.4L DI engine has been used in other GM vehicles, and has a pretty good rep.

The Regal, about the same size as the Elantra and Sonata (?), is also quiet in the city and at speed.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Is the new Regal turbo only now?

I'd have thought so: All I ever hear about from Regal owners is the turbo and the even more powerful GS. But here on NetCarShow is this: "The new 2.0L turbo engine delivers 18 percent more horsepower in the Regal Turbo, for a greater feeling of on-demand power. . . .

"A 2.4L engine with eAssist light electrification technology is also available on the 2014 Regal. Six-speed automatic transmissions are matched with both engines and a six-speed manual is available in the Buick Regal GS."

So I guess they have all 3 models still. (I'd have held out for a turbo -- but every one I saw on the dealers' used lots last year had a dark interior, which I hate.)

Originally Posted By: johnachak
[/quote]

Your post is confusing. Since you mentioned compact and assuming your dad is aging, get a Toyota Corolla. Every 2014 Corolla comes standard with LED headlights. They are supposedly the best headlight ever put on any vehicle which is a good thing for older people.

Quote:
Are you sure you don't mean HID headlights?

Not HID. All trims of the 2014 Corolla come standard with LED low beams, and halogen high beams. LED headlights are going to quickly become more and more common.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back