New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMorg
I used BC well before Katrina hit. In fact, I think that it had already left the market before Katrina. But, bluesubie is absolutely right about BC being 5W40. There are BITOG threads around if you are interested. I am curious if BC was actually on the US market before GC-Green. I am pretty sure that is was gone before GC-Gold.

BC was around for a long time, even after Katrina and when green GC disappeared. IIRC, it switched to being blended in USA only three or four years ago. GC was gone in mid-2004.

Based on this site and LS1Tech, the American Blend of Castrol 5W-40 began to show-up on the shelves in Dec of 2005 - just after Katrina. So, BC was probably on the shelves in many places for quite a while after Katrina. However, it seems like the transition was right around that time.

Patman has several posts here and at LS1Tech about BC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This is what I got from Castrol NA:

Visc @ 100C: 13.5
Visc @ 40C: 79.3
VI: 169
Low temp cranking visc: 6200@-35C
Low temp pumping visc: 60,000@-40C
HT/HS visc: 3.5 (minimum)
Pour point: -60C
Flash point: >200C
Density @ 15C: 0.84

Based on this, it appears to be the same as the European Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Syntec0W-40-1_zps074f6c4a.png

Syntec0W-40-2_zps376090b4.png

Does that work??

On paper at least, the 0W-40 looks like a better oil than the 5W-40. HTHS is definitely improved, thats for sure. And meets a significantly higher number of OEM certifications, f you happen to take that kind of thing with more than a grain of salt. I really wish I could find a VOA for any of these, real curious what the add pack looks like.

The product that's identical to this in specs is Edge 0W-40 in Australia. However its TDS says it's closely related to SLX 0W-40 (229.5), but doesn't actually have the approval. Lower VI than M1 and also lower HTHS, 3.7cst. CCS is also slightly higher than M1 (5800 vs. 5700), so MRV might be too. The approval info from Castrol NA says it's got 229.5, which to believe..

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...40_B1971_05.pdf

Castrol's marketing department is appalling in every way. [censored] ads, documents, branding. Good enough reason to avoid their products.

Last edited:
The AAP near me has the BC 0W-40 in a sale: "buy 5 quarts and K+N filter for $29.99"

I got lucky twice, once finding it on sale and the second time is they were sold out of K+N filters so I aksed if i could sub in a Mobil 1 filter and he said sure. So I just got 10 quarts of the BC and 2 Mobil 1 filters for under $60.

Breaks down to about $4/quart for the oil which is less than half what they want for it on the shelf. I believe it is priced at $8.49 or $8.99.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
This is what I got from Castrol NA:

Visc @ 100C: 13.5
Visc @ 40C: 79.3
VI: 169
Low temp cranking visc: 6200@-35C
Low temp pumping visc: 60,000@-40C
HT/HS visc: 3.5 (minimum)
Pour point: -60C
Flash point: >200C
Density @ 15C: 0.84

Based on this, it appears to be the same as the European Castrol Edge Professional A3 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Syntec0W-40-1_zps074f6c4a.png

Syntec0W-40-2_zps376090b4.png

Does that work??

On paper at least, the 0W-40 looks like a better oil than the 5W-40. HTHS is definitely improved, thats for sure. And meets a significantly higher number of OEM certifications, f you happen to take that kind of thing with more than a grain of salt. I really wish I could find a VOA for any of these, real curious what the add pack looks like.

The product that's identical to this in specs is Edge 0W-40 in Australia. However its TDS says it's closely related to SLX 0W-40 (229.5), but doesn't actually have the approval. Lower VI than M1 and also lower HTHS, 3.7cst. CCS is also slightly higher than M1 (5800 vs. 5700), so MRV might be too. The approval info from Castrol NA says it's got 229.5, which to believe..

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...40_B1971_05.pdf

Castrol's marketing department is appalling in every way. [censored] ads, documents, branding. Good enough reason to avoid their products.

That's a very old PDS. Back then there was Castrol Edge 0w40 A3/B4 and Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 C3 (Ford 5.4L approved!)

Now we only have Castrol Edge w/ti FST 0w40 which is A3

I cannot stand it any longer. I HAVE to come clean. The reason why so many Castrol employees were in the dark about this oil is that it is...are you ready...once again being made by the Elves. Castrol hates to admit that their REALLY GREAT oils are made by Elves in a primitive little lab in der Schawarzwald (the Belgian was made by trolls in Anderlecht). They told me they would NEVER come out of retirement but they just could not stand to watch BITOG fall into mundane conversation after the GC craze and they hated to see Castrol called "shady" when: (1) upper leadership was just keeping silent, and (2) the average worker had no clue where the stuff was coming from or the magic it contains. Now I will tell you the 0W-40 is not their premier product; their premier brew is the FST line and it--of course--is now my favorite oil. In fact, the diminutive ones are working on an order for me now of the 5W-30. I order directly from them because they pack the oil in freshly cut ferns from the banks of the little stream that runs behind the plant instead of peanuts or bubble wrap. Just for the record, they have NEVER ONCE release any forms of pollution into the stream. The only clue I can give you as to location is that the stream is a tributary of the river Elz.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
pscholte - Does the Elz run through Elzheimer? - I forget...................

Hi Doug,

Marvelous observation...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
That table listed by KenO has the 0w-30 listed as SM rated. The last I bought was still rated SL, has anyone seen it rated SM?

That's bizarre. The 0w30 has Xs in the grayed out boxes. More wonderful content from their PDSes....

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: glxpassat
That table listed by KenO has the 0w-30 listed as SM rated. The last I bought was still rated SL, has anyone seen it rated SM?

That's bizarre. The 0w30 has Xs in the grayed out boxes. More wonderful content from their PDSes....

Last I knew it was still SL. Castrol is a company that gives us some great oil gifts but don't expect them to act like they know anything about it (phone tech reps, printed documentation, etc).
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
I cannot stand it any longer. I HAVE to come clean. The reason why so many Castrol employees were in the dark about this oil is that it is...are you ready...once again being made by the Elves. Castrol hates to admit that their REALLY GREAT oils are made by Elves in a primitive little lab in der Schawarzwald (the Belgian was made by trolls in Anderlecht). They told me they would NEVER come out of retirement but they just could not stand to watch BITOG fall into mundane conversation after the GC craze and they hated to see Castrol called "shady" when: (1) upper leadership was just keeping silent, and (2) the average worker had no clue where the stuff was coming from or the magic it contains. Now I will tell you the 0W-40 is not their premier product; their premier brew is the FST line and it--of course--is now my favorite oil. In fact, the diminutive ones are working on an order for me now of the 5W-30. I order directly from them because they pack the oil in freshly cut ferns from the banks of the little stream that runs behind the plant instead of peanuts or bubble wrap. Just for the record, they have NEVER ONCE release any forms of pollution into the stream. The only clue I can give you as to location is that the stream is a tributary of the river Elz.

OMG, that post takes me way back to the original pscholte elf postings of yore. I truly missed reading the trials and tribulations of the Bavarian pointy hat folks from that strange magical land known as pscholte's mind
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: shortyb
from that strange magical land known as pscholte's mind
laugh.gif

That's what happens when you drink that stuff.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: shortyb
from that strange magical land known as pscholte's mind
laugh.gif

That's what happens when you drink that stuff.
smile.gif

QP,

Please don't leave out using it for salad dressing or for frying chicken...the latter best with a Low SAPS version of Castrol. (Please...DO NOT try this at home; I am a professional "imaginator.")

Fantastic price for this product. Thanks for sharing that especially the pictures!! I wish they'd sell it online. I've left with regret too many times after stepping foot in there.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back