01 Elantra won't start. already replaced starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a particularly cold night, my car wouldn't start. I thought the battery was dead so I recharged the battery. All it does is make a rapid CLICKING noise. I did some research and found that it probably means my starter is bad.

So I replaced the starter but the car still won't start and is still making the clicking noise. I know the battery is fine and the instrument panel and lights turn on just fine. Any idea? Thanks

Last edited:
The battery may have enough juice to power the lights but not enough to start the car. Have the battery tested or swap batteries with another car and see if it will start. Test the battery and see how many volts it has. How old is the battery?

Rapid clicking is a bad battery or connection. Not a bad starter. A bad starter may click once when you turn the key but no more.

If you turn the lights on and turn the key to start what do the lights do?

Clean your battery cables and battery first. If that doesn't help.. have the battery load tested.

The battery is about 3 years old. The reason I didn't think it was a bad battery because I charged it up using a trickle charger. But hey. lets hope it is a bad battery! I will buy one tomorrow at AAP and put it in.

Also, someone said rapid clicking/snapping noise (almost like a machine gun) is not a sign of a bad starter? That was what I read on several places online, thus why I replaced the starter.....
confused.gif

Most often not enough power to keep the solenoid contacts closed. Id also say the battery needs a load test and make sure the connections are in good order.

If either battery cable clamp is one of those junky parts house clamp on jobs it would be suspect as well.

@OP

You jump the gun too soon w/o properly following through the diagnostic logics.

Battery: don't guess it: load testing it is the only way to determine it's health.

Starter: assume that it's good until proven otherwise (with fresh new battery, or a load tested battery that deemed strong)

All the wirings between the starter and the battery, including the grounds.

If you are not comfortable in doing these diagnostics, find help.

Q.

Just want to bring closure to this thread. I got my neighbor to jump my car and I could hear the engine trying to turn over. So I bought a new battery that day and the car works now!

I honestly thought the battery was fine since I put a trickle charger on it overnight and all the lights in the car was working. I thought about getting it load tested at AAP but with the snow and no car....

Anyways, it's all good! Oh and I saved a ton on the battery! I ended up getting their marine battery rated for 500CCA. It is on sale for $68.99 and with coupon codes, got it for $42!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autoc...rchTerm=battery

Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow

I honestly thought the battery was fine since I put a trickle charger on it overnight and all the lights in the car was working.

very poor test. starters require 200-400 amps to work. You cant test your battery for 200-400 amps, using 5-10 amps worth of light bulbs..

also, where did you buy the new starter? most auto parts stores (in my area, anyways) will test your starter for free, before selling you a new one

Last edited:
I couldn't get the starter out to get it tested, I would have to get under the car.

I bought the starter on Amazon, it was super cheap ($45) compared to the 100+ at auto stores. I hired a traveling mechanic that came to my drive way and put it in for $120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back