Anyone Cook on Induction Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking comments. I'm locked into electric because there are no gas lines where I live. Not really feasible to install a tank + line just to cook on.

I've seen the smooth top electric ranges and the halogen ones. Problems with scratching from pans over time? A neighbor has an electric Jenn-Air glass top. Very nice. Problem is I don't need the 'air' part as I have a true overhead vent already installed. My favorite cast iron skillet has a small ridge around the perimeter that would prevent it from sitting flat on such a top. Of course, I could fix that will a belt sander...

Induction, while expensive, sounds very effective and efficient. Most of my cookware is compatible, save for two commercial aluminum skillets. However, they're already warped from use and unfortunately, I can no longer use them. Too bad.

How do you like induction?

I have second hand knowledge only. I have a friend who is very serious about his cooking. He prefers induction to gas, by a wide margin. He has a portable butane burner for when only gas will do(flambé).

The rim on your pan should not cause you any problems. Martin has played with his induction and it will work fine though 1/8 inch of newspaper, a bit of warpage or gap is a non issue. You can prevent scratching of the induction cooktop by placing a layer of parchment paper under the pan.

The standard electric flattop in my place drives him nuts, as it cycles the resistance elements on and off to control the heat. Drives me nuts too. It is an older GE with three resistance elements and one halogen. I find myself using the halogen whenever I can. I plan on replacing it with an induction next year when I replace the rest of the appliances.

Ed

There is nothing better to cook on than an induction range (speed, power, safety, energy usage, looks) but there are a few things you need to look out for.

Some electrical companies don't like induction ranges because of the low power factor (this is kind of an electrical resistance measure), so they could charge you extra each month for that, depends on the company and on what kind of meter you have, so ask them before you buy. Also because of the same power factor, you need a more "robust" electrical installation.

Now, the more expensive ones (or the better ones) should come with a "corrected" power factor, so ask the salesman about that. This thing of the power factor is more important in a commercial or industrial equipment than in a home environment, but is not bad to know about it.

As for power levels, they are also controlled by cycling it on and off, although is less noticeable, unless the range is of the "inverter" type, this would give you a true variable cooking power, and this type of ranges also should be more expensive, but I only seen this type in portable/camping equipment, but maybe there are home models with that technology.

Thanks. I understand power factor. Interesting that. Induction heating is used quite a bit in industry.

I'll have to do quite a bit of research/shopping to see what's available. My present stove is just a 30yr. old piece of junk I've learned to deal with. Oven temp is dead on accurate though. All controls are up front, so no reaching over a boiling pot. I think this config in electric was sued out of existence unfortunately.

What I really hate is that my stove-top isn't flat, so oil and liquids run to one side. I'm tempted to remove the top and screw angle to it to force it to level! Then shim what's left. The big iron grates on gas are really nice for large pots & skillets. Really like those.

I might be able to go the separate cook-top & oven, but would have to modify the kitchen a bit. Most of the time I use a single burner...sometimes two. Very rare to use three.

I do enjoy cooking though and have learned it on an old, plain stove in a plain kitchen...nothing fancy here. Sure is cheaper than constantly eating out!

They don't work well when the power is out!

But other than that, they seem to work well.

But, having been through solid iron heating elements and then Halogen
I will use 'tried and tested' Gas until I KNOW something is better.

Originally Posted By: expat
They don't work well when the power is out! But other than that, they seem to work well.

Duh! Re-read my original post! No gas in my neighborhood period. When the power goes out, EVERYTHING goes out..till I get the backup started.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: expat
They don't work well when the power is out! But other than that, they seem to work well.

Duh! Re-read my original post! No gas in my neighborhood period. When the power goes out, EVERYTHING goes out..till I get the backup started.

Wow, Not even Propane?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back