Yahoo e mail hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting notifications from my contacts that they are getting sent links through my yahoo account. When I check my sent folder there is no record of the emails being sent.

This has happened three times in The last 28 days.
Of course I changed my password right after notification.

I am not sure it is related, but 28 days ago I got my first smartphone.

I regularly run ccleaner and am running malwarebytes on the laptop as I type this on my phone.

any ideas as to how to prevent this. I am not sure what is the cause, or what I should do.

Last edited:
Within 10 days of changing my password, it is happening again.

so far malwarebytes has found two objects on my laptop performing a full scan

I seem to get my yahoo email account hacked in this fashion about once or twice a year.

I am also very proactive with virus checkers, anti malware etc.

I'm not sure how they do it though. It seems if they hack your account and send out emails to your contacts, that there would be a record of it in your sent folder...which never shows any sent out.

Best thing is to change your password ASAP.

While nothing exists in my sent folder, I just got a copy of the e mail that was sent, and the link is a .ru, meaning Russia.

Funny how I clicked on RussiaToday as a news feed just last night on my laptop ( was interested in seeing the Russian propoganda version of current world events) and shortly thereafter my email was hacked and a .ru link sent out to everybody in my contacts.

At this point I am leaning towards the acquisition of the Android Smartphone as being a co-incidence to these hackings, but if users here know otherwise, please chime in

Get another email account, i.e., Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

Make sure that your email address is in your address book so when hacked you will get an email so you know it has happened.

I thought I read somewhere that Hotmail is being converted to Outlook.com when I was looking into creating another account not long ago. But I got confused.

add - maybe should look into it again as I only have a yahoo email.

Last edited:
Outlook is the rebranded hotmail with the additional services that include OneDrive for file storage in the cloud,Office in the cloud using those same documents, and apps on Apple, Android and Windows phones to take advantage of those documents on the go, including auto picture upload on many devices.

Well I just created a Outlook [Hotmail] account then went to Amazon to change my email.

Now if I can figure out how to place a icon on my desktop that I can click on to take me straight to the outlook.com sign-in page

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Well I just created a Outlook [Hotmail] account then went to Amazon to change my email.

Now if I can figure out how to place a icon on my desktop that I can click on to take me straight to the outlook.com sign-in page

Got it figured out without consulting the kids - not to use quotes when creating desktop icons - ding dong. Google still my friend.

They call it "Yahoo" because you never know what kind of wild bronco ride you'll be on when using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back