US control of internet to go to UN

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a report that the Commerce Department is going to turn over to the UN some aspects of the internet that is currently controlled by the US.

I think the US has done a pretty good job. Some of these other countries have tried to stop free expression of speech and tried to censor certain groups and certain aspects of the internet. And I don't really trust the UN to be able to do anything right. And trying to please all of these different countries with different cultures and different beliefs will simply be impossible anyway. It will probably turn into a mess.

Something as important as free speech shouldn't be "given away", rather it should be agreed worldwide what the parameters are.

The internet is a global product/entity and should be treated as such, not controlled by the 5 nations comprising the security council; one subtlety in this is that the US has veto power on the security council, so in reality does still have control over our own internet... Dependent on how that control is turned over, of course.

Last edited:
Making the ICANN accountable to "the world" makes it accountable to no one.

I think this was done to placate others.

just another nuggett of giving power to the world governemnt aka United Nations. 4/29 circle the date! See the moon turn into blood on 4/15/2014

As I understand it, the US taxpayers shouldered a lot of the cost associated with the development of ISPN's.
Why are we giving away what we paid for?

It's the same thing as selling that electric car company (Fissker, I think it was) to the Chinese for pennies on the US taxpayers investment dollar...Americans pay for the R&D and the Chinese make the profits.

Our leaders are woefully inadequate.

That the U.S. controls so much of the power of the internet's underpinnings scares the holy heck out of everyone on this earth except for the chest-thumping Americans who think this is a competition of some sort. No single state - especially a police state - should hold control over a global technological framework.

What, exactly, are you "giving away", by the way? Do any of you even know what elements of the "internet" the U.S. gubmint controls? Just more reactionary panic.

I don't need your comments about me TrevorS. You have already attacked me twice because of my age and you attacked me because of what news channel I watch. And then gave me a lecture on diversity! And you have twice distorted my user name as Mystick and @mystic and blamed it on a spell checker. Did you need a spell checker to spell 'Mystic?'

I think if it was reported on FOX News and CNN and I reported that it was reported by those official News organizations that is providing a link. Not to mention the fact that if somebody were to Google about it you could probably find plenty of information on the internet.

FOX News is the number one ranked cable news channel in the USA. They had a report and you could probably find that information by going to FOX News online. I think CNN had something about it also. I have been watching both FOX News and CNN because of that missing Malaysian airliner.

I am trying to be fair and even handed and there is no question that some countries would not be good with any control of the internet. Some countries have already attempted to silence various groups and some countries will not allow some internet traffic that in any way goes against their cultural beliefs. Now I do think we have to respect the beliefs of people elsewhere but I don't think they should be able to dictate what they believe on everybody else.

I will prove that I am trying to be even handed. I can understand other countries being concerned about the NSA trying to spy on everybody. I have concerns about all of that myself. But having said that I think the USA has done a pretty decent job.

I have little respect for the UN. It can't seem to do much right.

So you asserted

"There is a report that the Commerce Department is going to turn over to the UN some aspects of the internet"

but can provide no link.

Last edited:
simple_gifts, I saw this report on FOX News, the number one rated cable news network in the USA. If that is not a good enough link for you, fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back