Monroe shocks and struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check Advance Auto using online discount code. That was the best deal when I purchased them recently.

Local is better if you ever expect to change them at some point. They have a lifetime warranty. If you got them online, you'd have to pay to ship them back. Even with the discount codes Advance was still a little more than mail order. But they are very easy, simple for warranty replacement. Got a bad one recently, just swapped one out, only lasted about a year, one of the bolts next to the strut mount snapped off, could have been the mechanic who installed it though. Also the previous set had a bad strut mount for a couple years, never figured it was the strut because the noise started a year or so after I put it in, but didn't realize it was the mount until a few years later when I replaced the strut and the noise went away.

I'm getting ready to buy two quick struts and two rear shocks for my wife's Xterra and take advantage of the extra $90 savings. I can save $14 total going through Rock Auto over Advance and their discount codes and free shipping. Wolf359 has a good point about warranty returns. I'd rather pay the extra $14 and be able to have an easy warranty replacement than hassle with a mail order return and replacement. I checked several on-line merchants and I couldn't beat Rock Auto's prices at any place I looked.

Wanted to revise my statement from before, Rock Auto offered significant savings over Advance and their discount codes and free shipping, at least for my application. I shot an email to Monroe asking about how warranty claims are handled if purchased via an internet merchant. Looks like I'm going with Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Wanted to revise my statement from before, Rock Auto offered significant savings over Advance and their discount codes and free shipping, at least for my application. I shot an email to Monroe asking about how warranty claims are handled if purchased via an internet merchant. Looks like I'm going with Rock Auto.

I've returned things to rock auto before. Basically you have to pay the shipping back to rockauto, but they will pay to ship the new part to you. You can either send the old one back and they'll send you the new one, or order a new one and they'll credit you once they get the old part back.

Don't forget that struts are heavy and bulky. Shipping them yourself is expensive, we individuals do not get the same rates from UPS/FedEx that big businesses get.

The Monroe Limited Lifetime Warranty states in part, "To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer or retailer from whom it was purchased or to a Tenneco dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty." I understand this to mean I can return a worn-out or defective product with my dated original receipt to ANY Tenneco (Monroe) dealer for verification and exchange. I believe this means that I do not have to ship it back to the original on-line retailer.

Hello, Sounds like you're 100% correct. ....good read of the warranty.

All I'll say is that for the few pennies of difference in price between some online source vs. a promotional price from my local dealer, I'll go for a local sale and go back years later with my receipt with HIS name on it and have HIM process the replacement right before my eyes in 20 seconds.

I do wonder if "TENNECO" dealer equals Monroe dealer.

I am not saying you're wrong or that my view is correct or better. Kira

Thanks Kira for your post. Tenneco (NYSE: TEN) is the parent company of Monroe as well as several other automotive aftermarket brands. See www.tenneco.com/our_brands/ for much more information.
I have checked many local dealers and on-line retailers and so far, like Mfrank84, Rock Auto has the lowest price beating everyone else I've checked with by a lot of pennies. I would go with a local dealer if the difference was only a few pennies. Thanks to all who left comments and more comments are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back