Honda aftermarket look-alike filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter is an aftermarket look-alike for the genuine Honda AO1, AO2...they just happen to fit the honda GX v-twins that I use them on also..20 x 1.5 thread....fits lotsa other stuff also....I get them off ebay in a box of 30 from the seller name "jp-genuine" for $120 to my door...

With the exception of the blue can, quite frankly construction-wise it doesn't look like either the A01 or A02.

Looks most like a made in China filter, trying to appear as though it's a Honda filter. The coil retainer spring is one of the tell tale signs of a China made filter. I won't call it a "knockoff", but there seem to be many filters trying to look like Honda oem and many are available off ebay. That said, it does 'appear' to be a well made filter. But of course there's no known efficiency with this filter either.

So while it may be a genuine-"jp", it is most certainly is not genuine Honda oem.

Thanks for the pics.

Of course efficiency is unknown but quality of build looks very good.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

With the exception of the blue can, quite frankly construction-wise it doesn't look like either the A01 or A02. Looks most like a made in China filter, trying to appear as though it's a Honda filter.

If it was made in China, it should say so on the filter or its box. It sure has lots more pleats than we've seen in the recent Purolator pocs.

I don't know, I don't think pleat count is the main factor with the recent Puro tears. PL14610 has 51 pleats, same as it's had since I started posting dissection pics of them back in 2010, and I've never had a tear in one. And it has more media area than the equivalent A02, ~ 109" sq. for the P1, to ~81.5" sq. for the A02. The issue seems most related to the some qc issue with the wider pleat spacing adjoining the seam pleat.

And yes, if it's made in China it 'should' say that somewhere. However seeing as the OP never addressed COO I speculated based on similar 'made to look like'-Honda oems posted here previously, some made in China. And I gave an example of the coil retainer as to why I believed that. Could be made elsewhere, but wherever it's made, it's not Honda oem. And as said, no know efficiency specs. But, I also said it 'appears' well made.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If it was made in China, it should say so on the filter or its box.

If it was made in Japan, it should say so on the filter or its box.

If it says neither "China" or "Japan", and has Japanese characters on it (it does), it's probably Chinese imported through "irregular" channels.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If it was made in China, it should say so on the filter or its box.

If it was made in Japan, it should say so on the filter or its box.

If it says neither "China" or "Japan", and has Japanese characters on it (it does), it's probably Chinese imported through "irregular" channels.

Interesting observation about coo that makes sense. I observed the writing on the can, but honestly not being familiar with the writing difference didn't know which coo it might indicate. I thought maybe that the 'jp' in genuine might indicate Japan, but these Honda look a-likes are first about appearing to be something they aren't ie., oem. So, I didn't put much faith into made in Japan either.

I did find the ebay site with more pics and nowhere am I able to see a coo on the can. So, until otherwise noted I'm still thinking China, and the coil retainer does point to that conclusion. But, the can color in very similar to Honda A01,A02 which is the idea after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back