Diesel Fuel from Plastic Bags!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step in the right direction...now if they can just learn to do that with styrofoam and other plastics.....

Probably much harder with styrofoam as the monomer styrene has a benzene ring. This would require high pressure hydrogenation as wll. Plastic bags are made of linear or branched saturated hydrocarbons so it is easy to see how pyrolysis under the right conditions can make lower molecular weight hydrocarbons in the diesel/gasoline range.
The bags also contain essentially zero sulfur so the resulting fuel will be below the ULSD standard of 15 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Probably much harder with styrofoam as the monomer styrene has a benzene ring. This would require high pressure hydrogenation as wll. Plastic bags are made of linear or branched saturated hydrocarbons so it is easy to see how pyrolysis under the right conditions can make lower molecular weight hydrocarbons in the diesel/gasoline range.
The bags also contain essentially zero sulfur so the resulting fuel will be below the ULSD standard of 15 ppm.

Easy now you'll cause me to have a brain failure. I only have 2 semesters of college chemistry....but I get it that the styrofoam is the wrong plastic.
whistle.gif

My buddy works at a local place where they are converting plastic into diesel and various other products. Apparently, they aren't doing very well, and are expected to shut down by summer.

Yeah, something like this will only be cost effective when diesel reaches higher price levels like a few years ago. Some ideas are pretty good, but it takes a viable market to make it worthwhile.

And don't forget the glut of plastic toys, and car parts as well, hmmm plastic straws too. Oh and weed eaters and chain saws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back