Synthetic vs. Paper, Some Interesting Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across this:
quote:

"The following information is not specific to the PF35L, but I'm hoping that it applies. A few years ago, we were working with a filter manufacturer that was promoting synthetic (glass fiber) powertrain oil filters. They had extensive data on the difference between that type of filter and a conventional paper filter. While the synthetic filter is rated for smaller particle collection, that is not the only significant advantage. When filters are rated, they frequently do a so-called "multi-pass" test. I don't remember all the particulars, but contaminated oil is circulated through the filter, under constant flow, a number of times, and the amount of particle removal or collection (cannot remember which way it is tested) after a specified number of passes, determines the micron rating. All the dirt is not removed in one pass. This standard steady state test, with a constant flow, does not tell the whole story, however. What this filter company demonstrated was that when a filter is subjected to pressure or flow surges (such as when starting with cold oil, or even as the flow changes), the filter media will flex. Paper media will then tend to release some of the contaminants back into the flow stream, in a process termed "desorption The standard multipass test will not show this to be a problem, but the release of the contaminants was very significant, and negated much of the advantage of the filtration. The glass fiber media was much more resistant to desorption than the paper media. It also took out more of the contamination in the first pass. But was also considerably more expensive. My employer, Caterpillar, then co-developed a filter with a patented spiral wrap strap around the media to prevent flexing and desorption. So, lacking the ability to use a Caterpillar filter (I don't yet have one of our 10.2 liter diesels in my 93 T/A :), I'm using the PF35Ls with great confidence that they will make a big difference in engine life."
{Terry Quinn}

I don't know about a big difference in engine life, but I do think the desorption of contaminates due to media flex seems logically probable.
I wonder if that's the reason PureOne uses a string around their center?
I guess if going with paper, the thicker/denser the better(less flex).
dunno.gif

All the more reason for us paper filter element users to go with a Wix or Motorcraft with the threaded end bypass valve instead of the otherwise great Purolator that has the bypass in the bottom of the can where the bypassing oil has to pass over the dirty media. (The oversized Ford version of Purolator Premium Plus (L40017, MC FL299#) does have the threaded end bypass BTW.)

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
All the more reason for us paper filter element users to go with a Wix or Motorcraft with the threaded end bypass valve instead of the otherwise great Purolator that has the bypass in the bottom of the can where the bypassing oil has to pass over the dirty media.

Durn, I had settled on the Pure One PL24459 as the ideal filter for my wife's Acura. I hadn't thought about the bypass location. The PL24459 does have it on the wrong end of the element. Too bad.

No sting on the element though.

Back to Napa Gold 1344, I guess.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Just curious. Do those Napa Gold 1344 have a silicone ADBV, and do they use a micro-glass filter media?

The 1344 I got was one of the old white ones and it had a black ADBV. I dounbt my local small NAPA sells a lot of them, so it's probably old stock.

I don't know what media it uses, haven't taken it off the car yet.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
The 1344 I got was one of the old white ones and it had a black ADBV. I dounbt my local small NAPA sells a lot of them, so it's probably old stock.

Same problem I had. I only could find old stock.

quote:

All the more reason for us paper filter element users to go with a Wix or Motorcraft with the threaded end bypass valve instead of the otherwise great Purolator that has the bypass in the bottom of the can where the bypassing oil has to pass over the dirty media. (The oversized Ford version of Purolator Premium Plus (L40017, MC FL299#) does have the threaded end bypass BTW.)

My thoughts exactly on the importance of a threaded end/up front bypass valve, it's too bad more manufactures don't utilize it, especially Purolator(across the board)
frown.gif

Oversized is right, that FL299 is a da** big filter, - I'm jealous.
grin.gif

I vaguely remember a comment in the "Grease Study" in regard to a specific filter media being noticeably more rigid than the others, - or maybe I was dreaming.
sleeping.gif

The Fleetguard StrataPore and Donaldson medias (don't know much about the latter) might be the best examples of such synthetic medias, but I believe they're only available for the most popular applications. Fleetguard is a division of Cummins Diesel.
http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/products/en_prod_inn_stratapore.jsp

I can't/won't argue with Caterpillar's testing, but my gut feeling suggests that preventing substantial paper media flexing might simply entail adding synthetic fibers such as polyester, nylon, or fiberglass and/or possibly increasing the paper media thickness -- all of the former are low-tech and inexpensive semi-fixes to media flex, I would think. Sandwiching the media in metal mesh, such as the Fram X2 filters, could also address flex. My understanding was that a primary benefit of pure-synthetic medias was a consistently predictable "depth" effect, such as having multiple microglass layers of 40/20/10 microns outside-to-inside, allowing for particles to be entrapped throughout the media, and not just on the outside surface of a constant-micron, one-layer media.

"I wonder if that's the reason PureOne uses a string around their center?" I've read that the likely reason is to simply hold the pleated media together as a unit as the seam is glued or crimped together to form a continuous circle. The string would prevent the cartridge media from expanding, whereas the pulses from pressure or flow surges would cause the media to contract: therefore the string would have no impact. (Oil flows from the outside of the cartridge to the inside.)

quote:

I was looking at the Mobil 1 filter at AZ, and that one does have the bypass at the front as well. That one (part # 209) is also labeled as made in the USA and the baseplate looks slightly different than other CL brands that are "HECHO".

Have just acquired a couple of Donaldson P169071 filters which use the Syntech media.
Apart from the fact they aren't made by Donaldson (look more like a Champ. Labs filter) the media is held in place by a wire gauze on the centre tube side of the media !
This would definitely prevent deformation of the media.

Sounds like the Cat filter is one that flow opposite of ours. Most spin on filters flow from the outside in. The center-tube stops most of the flexing. Sounds like this is the issue of outward flowing filter.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
The string would prevent the cartridge media from expanding, whereas the pulses from pressure or flow surges would cause the media to contract: therefore the string would have no impact. (Oil flows from the outside of the cartridge to the inside.)

I was thinking the string would help reduce
lateral pleat movement, especially on the longer filters, but was merely a guess on my part.
smile.gif

[ December 14, 2004, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Sounds like the Cat filter is one that flow opposite of ours. Most spin on filters flow from the outside in. The center-tube stops most of the flexing. Sounds like this is the issue of outward flowing filter.

I'm pretty sure the C-Series Caterpillar engine use a typical flow oiling system/filter.

I think it's more of a pleat flexing situation.

quote:

I don't know about a big difference in engine life, but I do think the desorption of contaminates due to media flex seems logically probable.
I wonder if that's the reason PureOne uses a string around their center?
I guess if going with paper, the thicker/denser the better(less flex

As one of the others mentioned the flow is from the outside in, so the string serves no purpose once the filter is assembled. The string is likely there for the pre assembly process to hold the pleat pack on the core prior to potting.

quote:

What this filter company demonstrated was that when a filter is subjected to pressure or flow surges (such as when starting with cold oil, or even as the flow changes), the filter media will flex. Paper media will then tend to release some of the contaminants back into the flow stream, in a process termed "desorption

This sheding of particulate during surging is commomly known throughout the filter industry regardless of flow direction on pleat pack. For certian filters that are 100% intregrity tested and some others, it common practice to surge them with liquid or air prior to the integrity testing to "clean" them out.

quote:

My employer, Caterpillar, then co-developed a filter with a patented spiral wrap strap around the media to prevent flexing and desorption.

There are several companies that have spiral wrap pleat packs or cartridges: Pall and Cuno come to mind. These have been around for about 20 some years.

quote:

So how does a spiral wrap help the filter from flexing inward?

-T

It helps by canceling out some of the forces. Below is a link to a Pall SRT (stress resistant technology) at that link there is a PDF brochure for download or viewing. In that it explains with data how the stresses and the cyclic stabilization is much better than standard pleat packs. Also these cartridges don't even use a core and are rated from 150psi to in line hydraulic pressures of 6000psi.

Pall SRT cartridge

Are we all 100% sure that Wix and Napa Gold are the same filter? I tend to believe that Wix is on par with Napa Silver. All the Wix filters that I use claim to have paper media whereas the Napa Gold specifically states it uses synthetic blended media. The Wix even look more like the Silver to me.
Can someone please shed some factual light on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back