Another manual transmission option dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
While browsing information on the new 2015 Audi R8 and because of its close ties and parts sharing with the new Lamborghini Hurracan Audi axed the manual option. Not like I could afford it but is on my wish list. I'm Bummed the dual clutch transmissions have caught on. Anyone know why the DOT has a requires separate crash testing for manual and automatic transmissions?

I buy new cars, and I complain about the lack of manuals... But I wouldn't for THAT car. Why?

Because while I am no fan of DCTs for daily driving due to lack of a convenient neutral and the stupidity of manumatic shifting, the thing they do well is shift far faster than a human can. If you buy such a high-performing car, you are likely interested in performance at all costs. For that car and it's application, the dct likely delivers best.

For a regular daily driver, MT all the way personally.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I buy new cars, and I complain about the lack of manuals... But I wouldn't for THAT car. Why?

Because while I am no fan of DCTs for daily driving due to lack of a convenient neutral and the stupidity of manumatic shifting, the thing they do well is shift far faster than a human can. If you buy such a high-performing car, you are likely interested in performance at all costs. For that car and it's application, the dct likely delivers best.

There are plenty of manuals out there, Vettes, Caddy CTSV, many of the SVT and RTS8'S. As for a manual daily driver, Even though your sig. Shows NJ, I can only guess you don't commute in heavy traffic daily. I did it with a truck for years, then I changed jobs and forgot... I drove a manual for about a year commuting and you bet I got rid of that quick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yes....this...as for traffic...if heavy/stop n go traffic Kitacam can start and cruise to 20 comfortably in 2nd...and cruise from 10 to 40 comfortably in 3rd, a nice wide torque range for a daily driver...
As for the diminishing number of MTs...looking 10 years down the road for the next ride, I see a Cruze or Verano as an option for the next one as there's no Camry-stick made now....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
people who don't buy new cars always whine about the lack of manuals and diesels.

I bought my GTI brand new and it has a third pedal.

Am I allowed to whine?

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
people who don't buy new cars always whine about the lack of manuals and diesels.

So true lol.

(I'm one of the few new vehicle manual transmission buyers out there)

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
While browsing information on the new 2015 Audi R8 and because of its close ties and parts sharing with the new Lamborghini Hurracan Audi axed the manual option. Not like I could afford it but is on my wish list. I'm Bummed the dual clutch transmissions have caught on. Anyone know why the DOT has a requires separate crash testing for manual and automatic transmissions?

I didn't know DOT has different crash tests for manual and automatic transmissions. I do know that auto and manual transmissions are tested separately by the EPA and CARB, because differences in smog sometimes result from it. It may be more practical to produce only an automatic transmission just to avoid the expense of having the manual trans certified. Sometimes only one transmission can even pass the test. Between 1993 and 1997, The Toyota Supra had an NA engine and a Turbo engine, a manual and automatic and during certain years, not all engine and transmission combos were smog legal. In some years, some engine and transmission combos couldn't be sold in California, but they could be in other states.

Dual clutch is faster, humans can't keep up. If you want to post the fast times get the DC.

They are just following what Ferrari did years ago.

Manuals are a funny thing, everyone talks about one but when the rubber hits the road and its time to buy a new car they get the auto or dual clutch..why GF can't drive a stick.

Our local BMW dealer hates it when they get stuck with a stick car, can't give them away. The Porsche dealer has slightly better luck, but I think the take rate is low.

Even the new dump trucks now are all auto's, manuals suck to old fashion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I love my new Subaru 5spd manual. Especially when not having to shift it.

what do you mean?

Unfortunately MT's are on their way out. Keep in mind, not all MT's are good. Some are inefficient in their gearing and engagement. I'm thinking about the latest Subaru Forester and XV, where the manual folks who test drive both come away choosing the CVT 90% of the time. The reason is that it's a better transmission.

It's going to be a tough decision for my next car, especially after having a manual the last 15 years. I don't mind driving a manual in traffic. I really enjoy driving and I think part of that is because of the engagement a MT can give you.

I'm on the fence with both cars I'm considering, because the AT/CVT outperforms their manual counterpart in both vehicles.

My Miata NA has a 5 speed manual. If it had a really solid 4 speed auto it would sure spare some wear and tear on my left leg. I learned to drive on a '52 chevy truck with a 4 speed (no synchro in 1st). The clutch facing was worn out so when the rivets hit the flywheel off you went. The body mounts had all rusted out so the only thing holding the body and frame together was gravity. When you stopped fast the body would slide forward on the frame and engage the starter pedal. Then you had to pop the clutch to get the frame and body to reposition to stop the starter from grinding. There was a water faucet brazed to the intake manifold, never did figure out what that was for. So, a good automatic with enough gears to take advantage of the engine is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back