Just got my new 2014 Altima some oil questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not find any results under search so I am hoping some owners can help and reccomend ideas to me.

First questions is about new motor break in, i believe the owners manual said somewhere to follow proper break in for motor 200 miles first oil change and 1000 miles for the next.

does anyone believe in that procedure i love chanigng oil so im all for it just curious what others think of it.

also i really love synthetic and was wondering if after the break in time does anyone see any reason not to run synthetic in nissans 2.5l motor? any oil suggestions for that?
i personally have seen in cars ive owned they all liked different oils so im curious to other owners what they feel their car ran the best with.

last is i believe i saw there is a extended size filter to run for this motor anyone got the numbers for brand of the extended length filter?

really appretiate any help and or tips.......

For my new vehicles, I keep the first fill in for ~3,000 miles to make sure the assembly lubes and any additives are given time to allow the engine to break-in properly. Important to let the parts be polished and burnished with out being scuffed. My engines have good oil filters to collect any damaging bit. Ed

Last edited:
I like to get the factory oil out early. I read all the heated discussions about it here, I just can't wrap my head around leaving it in though. I'm not about to wrestle anyone here over the issue either.

I don't think Nissan or any other major manufacturer advocates a first oil change at anything other than the normal (eg 5,000 miles) interval. That said, many here will do a first change at around 1,000 miles, a second change at maybe 3-4,000 miles and the normal interval thereafter.

The early first change is an issue of some controversy though: many don't bother and have no adverse consequences. There's probably no harm in going to a full synthetic at first oil change, but another option is to stick with OEM for the first change (likely a blend) and whatever you want after.

I changed mine at 1,000 and 3,750 with conventional and then switched to synthetic at 7,500.

The idea of running the factory fill to 10,000 miles seems a bit much to me, but some people advocate it.

My 2 cents. I have the same engine in a '13 model Altima. I do believe in early change out on initial breakin but not so extreme as after 200 miles. I drive mostly hwy miles of about 75% hwy and 25% city, so not extreme service in my mind. All 0w20 oils will be either synthetic or semi synthetic and is the preferred grade for your engine. My preferred oil filter is the Fram Ultra 7317, a bit oversized but very efficient.
I chose Kendall GT-1 0W20 because of the titanium additive which is more catalyst friendly than some high Zinc addatives as my oil during breakin which UOA's say happen after 25K, when silicon and wear metals tend to level off. I have been keeping my oil change intervals below 7500, at around 6500 or so for warranty purposes before I extend them after warranty,36,000. The Kendall has good numbers for Moly and Titanium as well as cleaning additives.
I haven't done a UOA to be honest but do plan on doing as I move past warranty to see how far to extend oil changes. Many people say that Nissans are hard on oil but this engine doesn't seem to be, having an upgrade in the '13 model. The factory fill is made by Conoco Phillips. Personally I feel it is good for the recommended OCI, but I chose to change at 2500 to remove initial wear metals and silicon before 6500 mile oci's. Others logic may be different. So far I'm pleased with the car. My best mpg has been 38.8. Good luck.

Normally, I've been one who dumps the factory fill at about 1000 miles. When I bought my truck (Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6) I decided to keep it in until 3,750 (the factory recommended OCI). While it killed me to not change it out early, I didn't. Now, almost 4 years later and 70,000 miles, the motor doesn't burn a drop of oil in the 5,000 mile OCIs that I run with PYB 5W-30.

I really do think the car manufactures know what they are talking about telling us not to change it early. It's hard for us OCD guy guys/gals, but it does work. On my next new car, I'll do the same and follow what they say too.

Good luck with your Altima, those are some nice looking cars!!!

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
...i believe the owners manual said somewhere to follow proper break in for motor 200 miles first oil change and 1000 miles for the next.

Dude, there's no way it says that in the Nissan owner's manual.

Congrats! Great car and nice CVT auto.

i really appretiate all your input and thanks for compliments ive wanted this car for years it has taken forever to save for it. I have always wondered about that titanium kendall. i apologize if the owners manual doesnt say that i know it says something about motor break in and miles with oil changes. I will probably change at 1,000 to be safe and atleast start with semi synthetic. ive never owned a car that is reccomended a 0w makes me nervous ive never gone lower than 5w. again thanks for all your input really helps me out alot.

Don't change the oil early. Follow the normal interval or OLM. Stick with the 0W-20 as recommended by the guys who built the car. If you want to keep the car until it wears out - make it full synthetic from the get go. My 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I don't think Nissan or any other major manufacturer advocates a first oil change at anything other than the normal (eg 5,000 miles) interval. That said, many here will do a first change at around 1,000 miles, a second change at maybe 3-4,000 miles and the normal interval thereafter.

The early first change is an issue of some controversy though: many don't bother and have no adverse consequences. There's probably no harm in going to a full synthetic at first oil change, but another option is to stick with OEM for the first change (likely a blend) and whatever you want after.

What he said AND I'm certain the OM doesn't suggest an oil change after 200 miles.

ccapital83 - Regarding the first oil change, read page 9-7 of your owner's manual. Nissan recommends staying with the normal OCI. No need to change the oil early.

page 5-28 talks about engine break-in.

Originally Posted By: walk23
I have been keeping my oil change intervals below 7500, at around 6500 or so for warranty purposes before I extend them after warranty,36,000.

I believe Nissan has a 5 year / 60k mile powertrain warranty now FWIW
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back