Amsoil SS 5W30, in use 7,609, vehicle 142,934

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Silverado, 4.8L V8

This is the first oil analysis done on this truck. This is my Dad's truck he was running a K&N air filter that he changed to a regular filter after receiving the report. The comments section of the report mentions possible break in period of new parts as a reason for the high metal counts (if any had been done), but no maintenance has been done. Are these metal counts something to be concerned about?
Code:

OIL Amsoil Signature Series 5W/30

MILES IN USE 7,609

MILES 142,934

SAMPLE TAKEN 02/20/14

Make Up Added 1qt (Mobil 1)

ALUMINUM 14

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 38

COPPER 27

LEAD 34

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 117

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 2

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 4

BORON 73

SILICON 16

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 2939

MAGNESIUM 97

PHOSPHORUS 715

ZINC 752

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 59

cSt @ 100ºC 9.93

Flashpoint in ºF 395

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

TBN 2.3

Nothing eminent. One UOA will not tell much, you need trends. That means more UOAs. Good job taking that useless K&N out. I hope it went in the garbage. You also need to say what kind of use and/or abuse the truck sees. Wait, trucks don't see or run (Reference to another thread).

Last edited:
What oil and OCI was used prior to this? Any deposits in the engine you can see through the fill hole?
COPPER 27
LEAD 34
This is disturbing to me given no recent repairs, it indicates bearing wear.
My question is this. Is this wear from this OCI or is the oil cleaning deposits containing wear metals from previous oils?

Any other UOA's to compare it to? A single UOA isn't much to go on IMO.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable reading these things will have a better explanation.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Nothing eminent. One UOA will not tell much, you need trends. That means more UOAs. Good job taking that useless K&N out. I hope it went in the garbage. You also need to say what kind of use and/or abuse the truck sees. Wait, trucks don't see or run (Reference to another thread).

True- do a few more to see a trend. Good move getting the K&N out.

I like the signature line Oil Changer. Good quote.

Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate the input.

Dad has been running the Amosoil Signature Series for about 100k miles now. He hasn't ever used any cleaners or anything like that in the oil, but he does put Lucas in the gas tank every now and then.

As far as use goes; he hauls the occasional load of wood, gravel, or mulch, but nothing on a real regular basis. Mostly city driving back and forth to work with occasional heavy acceleration, but mostly pretty light on the old go pedal.

Can you post a picture of the truck please? That's what the guys want to see. Since they're very visual.

If it were my truck and given your location i would use a thicker oil in it and do another UOA after a few OCI.
The bearings may be worn through to the lead into the copper the thicker oil my help. It sure wont hurt.

The SS for 7500 mi and a UOA like this is not looking good IMHO, the numbers dont lie.
Rotella 10w30, T6 5w40, Mobil 1 0w40 may all be good candidates.

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back