Full synthetic in 2013 Civic - worth it or waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2013 Honda Civic EX has just 5240 miles on it when I did my first oil/filter/tire rotation at the dealer earlier this week. They just used Honda 0W-20 syn blend which
is fine.
However, my plan is to keep my Civic 10-12 years and was wondering if the new Cvic's really
can benefit by running a full synthetic like M1 or PP. I only ask this because I continually
hear that Civics are very easy on oil and because of that, a full synthetic will not really
be much better.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
use PP and a factory filter or a fram TG and you will get an easy 12 years of great service out of that engine. I have a 2009 Civic 1.8L on PP with 80k and it runs so quiet with that oil.

Last edited:
If it were my car I would use PP 0w20, M1 0w20, or TGMO 0w20. I think the only synthetic blend 0w20 is Hondas own, which is probably overpriced at the dealer.

Well my oil changes at the dealer are free for life so price is not an issue for me. And what the heck is "TGMO'??

Last edited:
If you have free oil changes for life from them I would just go with that unless it is inconvenient or you just enjoy doing OCI's yourself. There are tons of Honda's out there with half a million miles on them running conventional oil. I learned many years ago that Honda doesn't put their name on junk.

I probably will just stick with Honda 0W-20 blend and OEM filter I guess, but I am not comfortable with the dealer, With the FREE oil change for life, they have to find some way to make up for the lost profit, so I am sure as I get to around 15K or so, they will be recommending and aggressively pushing services that I do not need!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
I probably will just stick with Honda 0W-20 blend and OEM filter I guess, but I am not comfortable with the dealer, With the FREE oil change for life, they have to find some way to make up for the lost profit, so I am sure as I get to around 15K or so, they will be recommending and aggressively pushing services that I do not need!

The power of NO is amazing, use it! If you are married you know exactly what I mean!

Well my oil changes at the dealer are free for life so price is not an issue for me. And what the heck is "TGMO'??

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil

Are you getting the free car washes when you go to the dealer? I remember the detailing thread you started. One wash could swirl that car up fast.

You're all set then. Expect your engine to outlast the rest of the car. 30-40 years easily.

Satin silver,
Yes this dealer offers the free car washes, but I refused it of course. You are right, one wash by their so called "detailers" is
a joke, they are clueless 18 year olds with bad attitudes and sagging pants who will never touch the paint on my car!
One wash by them and you can get swirling and marring. You really have to be delicate and gentle when washing and detailing Honda paint since its on the softer side, making it easier to induce light surface scratches, swirling and marring.

Last edited:
Not sure if your Honda is worth it but my Fords sure are.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Satin silver,
Yes this dealer offers the free car washes, but I refused it of course. You are right, one wash by their so called "detailers" is
a joke, they are clueless 18 year olds with bad attitudes and sagging pants who will never touch the paint on my car!
One wash by them and you can get swirling and marring. You really have to be delicate and gentle when washing and detailing Honda paint since its on the softer side, making it easier to induce light surface scratches, swirling and marring.

Ha- I feel the same way about them changing my oil too. Free oil changes for life, keep'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back