Driving to Canada - PP requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going to Niagra Falls on our way to Upstate NY through Canada,
My oldest has a passport and it is valid till 07/2014.
I read the doc requirement, but it only says VALID PP, does not say how long it was to be valid for.

Can anyone comment if a PP with a 07/2014 expiration is OK to travel to Canada by road?

Thanks,

Valid = has not expired

You're fine, because it's not yet July 2014. That being said, I would definitely renew it soon. The passport office gets backed up this time of year because a lot of people are getting ready for summer vacations and study abroad stuff.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Can anyone comment if a PP with a 07/2014 expiration is OK to travel to Canada by road?

It's just like a giant coupon. No worries. At first I thought you were talking about Pennzoil.
smile.gif

You can apply now for a passport card then when it comes handle your "big" passport.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

It's just like a giant coupon. No worries. At first I thought you were talking about Pennzoil.
smile.gif

I thought he was asking about restroom stops!

smile.gif

Me too. The thread title made me think that I couldn't drive into Canada unless my car was filled with Pennzoil Platinum.

We are going to Niagra Falls on our way to Upstate NY through Canada,
My oldest has a passport and it is valid till 07/2014.
I read the doc requirement, but it only says VALID PP, does not say how long it was to be valid for.

Thanks,

You failed to mention when you are actually travelling to Canada. If you are travelling now, you should be ok. Just make sure you fill up with Cheap US gas in Michigan before you cross over. Gas is around $1.25 to $1.35 per litre for 87 Octane.

Regards, JC.

Canadians could absolutely care less about your passport entering. It is not a requirement to travel there.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Canadians could absolutely care less about your passport entering. It is not a requirement to travel there.

Makes much easier to get back into the U. S. though.

Driving across may just need drivers license. Air and sea require passport I believe. Call Canadian Embassy, we're friendly people.

You can cross into Canada via car with a passport card, but you may as well just use the full passport to make things easier.

So long as your PP will not expire while you are traveling, you are fine.

As far as needing it, it makes getting back into the US much easier. Getting into Canada isn't the problem...

They refuse entry to anyone that has had a DUI in the past 10 years, passport or no.

The U.S. has no such limitation for Canadian citizen entry.

and the records go back forever.

On the other hand, Canada has no records exchange with third world countries or any other country for that matter, so they waive the terrorists right on in.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
They refuse entry to anyone that has had a DUI in the past 10 years, passport or no.

The U.S. has no such limitation for Canadian citizen entry.

and the records go back forever.

On the other hand, Canada has no records exchange with third world countries or any other country for that matter, so they waive the terrorists right on in.

Again. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
For a citizen of another country to enter the United States they will be denied entry for any conviction whatsoever. Immigration has the right to refuse you entry.
My juvenile record made me ineligdeable for entry. I has to get an immigration lawyer and have a hearing in order to get my visa when we were starting up in Detroit 15 years ago.
Once I got my visa I was good to go.

As far as entry to Canada again you have no idea what your talking about. Yes a customs official can deny entry based on any conviction however if the crime isn't violent or drugs it's up to the customs agent and his discretion whether a foreigner will be denied entry.
Thanks for your wisdom. Again you've got absolutely no clue and your info is wrong.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

As far as entry to Canada again you have no idea what your talking about. Yes a customs official can deny entry based on any conviction however if the crime isn't violent or drugs it's up to the customs agent and his discretion whether a foreigner will be denied entry.
Thanks for your wisdom. Again you've got absolutely no clue and your info is wrong.

According to Government of Canada website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/index.asp

If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada.

It sounds like there are legal ways around this for compelling reasons to enter, but for the majority of travel to Canada a DUI means no entry.

Stockrex, don't forget about the Michigan enhanced drivers license. Cheaper, easier, faster, if it suits your needs.

smile.gif

Me too! I thought he was wanting to go UP to Canada to buy some PP at their ridiculously high prices.
crazy.gif

just changed the oil in my ridgeline with PP :)

FYI: I called the canadian embassy/consulate in Detroit and DC, could not reach a human, all the message pointed to some website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back