Convert from USB to Six Pin Round plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way to convert from USB to Six Pin Round plug? I bought my mom a new keyboard that has a USB plug. Her computer has only two USB ports that are being used. The keyboard I'm replacing is plugged into the old standard 6 pin, round plug slot. Anyone know what I should search for on Amazon or EBay?

If you do get a USB hub, make sure it is powered by plugging into an outlet. The ones that simply split the power from a USB port are useless. They get overwhelmed and start dropping devices. It's rather annoying when all of a sudden your keyboard doesn't work.

As for the adapter, the other posters are correct. USB to PS2. Some USB mice and keyboards were coming with them for a while, but that may have stopped now, given how long it's been since PS2 ports became uncommon on computers.

I think many keyboards came with these at one time. Im sure I have at least one Id give you free.

Originally Posted By: fsdork
If you do get a USB hub, make sure it is powered by plugging into an outlet. The ones that simply split the power from a USB port are useless. They get overwhelmed and start dropping devices. It's rather annoying when all of a sudden your keyboard doesn't work.

As for the adapter, the other posters are correct. USB to PS2. Some USB mice and keyboards were coming with them for a while, but that may have stopped now, given how long it's been since PS2 ports became uncommon on computers.
as long as you're not charging a device, heating your home, charging your electric car, running a lamp or coffee warmer or a spinning hard drive from USB, you usually don't need a powered hub to connect things like mice, keyboards, printers, digital cameras, etc.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I always have to go the other way. The keyboards I like to use are PS/2

Mechanical switch keyboard fan detected
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Loud and made of powder coated steel in a drab color but o so durable. I still have a soft spot for these.

this2.jpg

Oh yeah absolute tanks and it's an XT style DIN plug too!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: fsdork

as long as you're not charging a device, heating your home, charging your electric car, running a lamp or coffee warmer or a spinning hard drive from USB, you usually don't need a powered hub to connect things like mice, keyboards, printers, digital cameras, etc.

I'd have to disagree, most unpowered devices (that draw power from usb) will need a powered usb hub.

These would be devices that dont have separate power plugs.
Cell phone, mouse, keyboard, usb headphones, etc.
Plugging in more than 2 without a powered usb hub can be problematic.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Loud and made of powder coated steel in a drab color but o so durable. I still have a soft spot for these.

this2.jpg

Oh yeah absolute tanks and it's an XT style DIN plug too!
laugh.gif

Replying to your post on compaq RT-101 keyboard.
You will have to pry it from my cold dead hands ...
56.gif

I just ordered a "splitter" for USB. The converters I looked at on EBay mentioned they were only to be used as replacements for adapters that came with the keyboards that came out of the box with adapters. The note said...

"Please Note: This product is designed as a replacement adapter for a keyboard/mouse that originally shipped with a USB-PS / 2 adapter. If your product did not ship with an adapter, we suggest trying StarTech.com 's OS22USB instead BECAUSE THIS WILL NOT WORK!"

Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back