Bosch Premium 3330 - Torn Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading about the recent P1 torn media posts, I went out and cut open a couple of Bosch Premiums that I hadn't yet pitched.

This filter was in service for 6,372 miles.

The pleat to the left of the seam is torn on the opposite end as well.

Date Code:

I also cut open a Bosch Premium 3331 that was in service for 7,462 miles that is date coded F11B15B2. The media in this filter was intact. This filter also did not have the metal seam joint/re-enforcement.

That filter looks terrible. With all these pictures of Purolator filters with wavy pleats and torn pleats, I'm crossing Purolator/ Bosch off my list.

09C15 = Made on 9-15-2011
11B15 = Made on 11-15-2010

I was wondering if any Bosch brand filters might have the same issue ... guess so.
eek.gif

It's a shame you guys don't get real Bosch filters, in Europe Bosch are made by Bosch and the quality is comparable Mahle/Mann/Hengst/Any other respected manufacturer.

It makes me wonder which Bosch employee tendered the contract to have a sub-standard manufacturer produce filters to be sold under the Bosch brand, and if they had ulterior motives..

Lol

Bosch and Mann had a joint venture in the US called Purolator.

In 2013, Mann took 100% control.

Purolator made and still make Bosch spin on filters.

So Bosch have had a big hand in making Bosch filters and now it is Mann's responsibility.

So to clarify, in the US there are two makers of Bosch filters, Mann and Purolater?

When you manufacture youur own product and that of your competitor, does it not make sense tyo produce their to a lower quality than that of your own?

Again, it's a shame you can't get Bosch branded filters that are actually made by Bosch, you wouldn't see any damage/tears/waves in the media, they'd be perfect.

Originally Posted By: Olas
It's a shame you guys don't get real Bosch filters

We CAN! Or rather we used to
They're not commonplace/off the shelf tho

It used to be on Rockauto, there was the Bosch Premium's that were essentially remade PureONE's, They're part #'s started with a 3.
German made, Non S-ADBV Bosch filter's started with a 7.

Ever since the last merger/ownership change at Puro mid last year, I haven't seen them since.

Now it's either Mann, Mahle, Or Bosch

After seeing this, i'm changing the filters on all my cars this weekend. I've used purolator/fomoco for years but until this gets sorted out, I'm switching to mobil 1 filters on the truck and hyundai, not sure what i will run on the saurns, maybe tough guards or mobil 1 as well.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
09C15 = Made on 9-15-2011
11B15 = Made on 11-15-2010

I was wondering if any Bosch brand filters might have the same issue ... guess so.
eek.gif

So pre 2011 do not have the metal seam clamp and they look ok and 2011 onward have metal seam clamp and have torn media? Guess my two remaining AA purolator clones with the red grippy stuff are safe to use since those still had the string around the media
eek.gif

I prefer the composite end caps (Fram) as they are actually bonded to the media. There seems to be more and more findings of problems with metal end caps.

The car that this filter came off of ('98 Lexus LS400) has had some history with torn filter media.

OCI #1 Super Tech E-Core = Torn Media.
OCI's #2-#4 Bosch Premiums = Not dissected.
OCI #5 Bosch Premium = Torn Media.

There's a Bosch D+ on there now. That thing is getting replaced now. I'm probably just going to go with OEM or Denso branded from here on.

This is why I don't hoard filters. After the ST media incident and finding an E-Core with a defective plastic cage, I pitched almost a dozen NIB E-core style filters I had on the shelf (I had six vehicles at the time).

There are Bosch D+'s on both my other GM's. Don't know what I'll do here. I do know the Bosch filters are going to be gone - soon.

The Acura has a canister filter and will still get the Fram cartridge.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
The car that this filter came off of ('98 Lexus LS400) has had some history with torn filter media.

This brings up a good point to consider. The vehicles these filters are used on, and the weather temps and oil viscosity used, etc can have a bearing on why these are tearing. Example, if used on a vehicle that has a high volume output oil pump with thick oil on a cold day and revved near redline a lot is going to be rougher on a filter's media than grandpa's car that is only driven to church at 45 MPH on 70+ deg F days.

Yes, every filter should be designed and made to handle some use variance and take the punishment, but all I'm saying is some of these tears might be due to what vehicle they are used on, and what weather temp and use conditions they are used under.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This brings up a good point to consider. The vehicles these filters are used on, and the weather temps and oil viscosity used, etc can have a bearing on why these are tearing. Example, if used on a vehicle that has a high volume output oil pump with thick oil on a cold day and revved near redline a lot is going to be rougher on a filter's media than grandpa's car that is only driven to church at 45 MPH on 70+ deg F days.

Yes, every filter should be designed and made to handle some use variance and take the punishment, but all I'm saying is some of these tears might be due to what vehicle they are used on, and what weather temp and use conditions they are used under.

Point well taken.
thumbsup2.gif

There was a member that posted a few years ago about a modded BBC that was running a PF454 (E-Core) that blew the filter media out, plugged the filter output and lunched the engine. Initially, filter failure was blamed.

Found it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/353573/1

Wow. It was more than a few years ago....

It took until Page 4 of the thread before it was confirmed that the oil filter bypass was purposely blocked off.

For the record, the LS400 engine is a stock 1UZ-FE and it's running the specified 5w-30 oil grade. If I can find an oil pressure tap, I might just install a pressure gauge (temporarily) just to see what the oil pump is doing.

There was a member that posted a few years ago about a modded BBC that was running a PF454 (E-Core) that blew the filter media out, plugged the filter output and lunched the engine. Initially, filter failure was blamed.

Found it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/353573/1

Interesting thread. I don't understand why these GM dudes block off their filter bypass valve ... stupidest thing I've ever seen.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I just emailed purolator. I suggested they look at this site and let us know that they are aware of the problem.

They never intended for people to be cutting their filters open.

They want you to buy it - use it - and throw it away without looking inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back