pt cruiser using some oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our cruiser seems to be using some oil when the dealer did the oil change it was filled half way up the safe range and it almost 1800 miles it's used Down to the add line. So half a quart in that time. I'm not overly worried being a saturn owner I understand some cars just do it. However if there is a way to fix it im all for it. Is there anything that could be causing this? Any common issues on these engines that cause consumption? Thanks everyone.

Its either leaking oil or burning oil, try topping up with maxlife to see if that slows it down, if not, either fix it or pay someone else to!
smile.gif

kind of... they have a slightly wonky PCV setup, that under the right conditions(WOT, Hard/Fast right turns, etc) can let liquid oil(not just vapors) out of the crankcase, and back to the intake.
very common for folks to add a catch can in the PCV line on Neons/PT's, esp if it's a Turbo.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
kind of... they have a slightly wonky PCV setup, that under the right conditions(WOT, Hard/Fast right turns, etc) can let liquid oil(not just vapors) out of the crankcase, and back to the intake.
very common for folks to add a catch can in the PCV line on Neons/PT's, esp if it's a Turbo.

The pcv valve is different than most I've dealt with to.
I don't think there is anything serious wrong. But maybe a pcv ? Didn't some have a tsb for a thing under the valve cover I forget the name some type of baffle that caused oil usage

For some odd reason, if the dealer switched to a different brand of oil, an engine will use more on that first change.

Don't ask me to explain it, but I've seen this myself when I switch brands of oil.

My 96 Sebring with the 2.4 has always used a little oil. Maybe a quart every 2000-3000 miles. It did it new. It does it now with
200,000 miles.

If its manageable just add oil when necessary. If it gets worse, start using a HM oil like Maxlife.

I help a friend with a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser, and his car always consumed oil. I replaced the PCV valve, and used 10w40 synthetic oil, and it made no difference.

That is so irritating! Many engines didn't consume oil years before this car was built.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Our cruiser seems to be using some oil when the dealer did the oil change it was filled half way up the safe range and it almost 1800 miles it's used Down to the add line. So half a quart in that time. I'm not overly worried being a saturn owner I understand some cars just do it. However if there is a way to fix it im all for it. Is there anything that could be causing this? Any common issues on these engines that cause consumption? Thanks everyone.

Why only half-way to F....? Why not all the way to F....?

1800 for a half-qt isn't bad at all...more than ideal, yes, but 3600 for a full quart might be just fine, depending on use and mileage on the car...

Last edited:
The pcv was less than stellar so I replaced it also I forgot the dealer replaced the oil pressure switch. They may have lost some oil doing that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back