please recommend a poa low saps oil mb 229.51

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not clear to me.. I want a true synthetic for. My next oil change.

Total mc3 and ineo both meet the spec.

Thanksmike

Originally Posted By: Oilmilkshake

Thanksmike

Pentosin Pento III

Originally Posted By: Danno
Mobil 1 M 5W-40 meets 229.51. I use it in all my 400, 3.0 Sprinters.

Not true synthetic.
I use M1 ESP 5W30, but he wants true synthetic.

AFAIK, most of the 229.51 approved oils are a combination of group III and other oil bases. Individual components mean little. It's the final product that matters, and as long as it meets the spec, you're good to go.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
AFAIK, most of the 229.51 approved oils are a combination of group III and other oil bases. Individual components mean little. It's the final product that matters, and as long as it meets the spec, you're good to go.

I agree with this.
Though Pentosin Super Pento III is true synthetic. I can get that one locally, but I still go with M1 ESP which is combination of Group III, IV and V. For me in this case, pour point is very important as well as flash point, and M1 ESP 5W30 is very good in both.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Not true synthetic.

Define "true synthetic"

Not true synthetic.

Define "true synthetic"

PAO or Ester, Group III in small quantities.

Last edited:

Thanksmike

Dealerships in the U.S. use Formula M ESP 5w-40. You can find it in most part stores, but based on the original definitions it is not a "true synthetic." However, it is a very good product.

Today, manufacturers can make oils that in actual real world performance exceed the levels that once required PAO oils to meet.

The Mobil 1 product (Formula M *ESP* 5w-40) would be my go to choice for a diesel Mercedes as it is so easily available, plus, a very good product indeed.

I agree with this.
Though Pentosin Super Pento III is true synthetic. I can get that one locally, but I still go with M1 ESP which is combination of Group III, IV and V. For me in this case, pour point is very important as well as flash point, and M1 ESP 5W30 is very good in both.
. When did Pentosin SP3 go full syn? Doesn't appear so per their website in Germany

Last edited:
Guess everyone else has the same problem-

PPl ask about the why? Because I've experienced a lot of dissatisfaction since Mobil has reformulated to be mainly Group III base oil. Observation wise, it seems to break down around 5-6,000 miles.
The redline and Amsoil products maybe be good .. but don't meet 229.51. Should say are not qualified.

The total Long Life product is a good suggestion and I might go with it.

PPl ask about the why? Because I've experienced a lot of dissatisfaction since Mobil has reformulated to be mainly Group III base oil. Observation wise, it seems to break down around 5-6,000 miles.

What car/engine are we talking about here?

Quote:

The redline and Amsoil products maybe be good .. but don't meet 229.51. Should say are not qualified.

Actually, as of recently, Amsoil Euro 5w-40 is officially MB 229.51 approved...

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...hbegriff=229.51

What car/engine are we talking about here?

Quote:

Actually, as of recently, Amsoil Euro 5w-40 is officially MB 229.51 approved...

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...hbegriff=229.51

WOW!!!
crazy2.gif

I wonder if they'll get LL-01? I had put a suggestion (as a dealer) into them to get the Euro certs, as I felt it would help them in the Euro market. It almost seems like they listened, LOL! Though I am not naiive enough to think that my input alone was enough to cause them to do this. There must have been a number of us all advising the same thing.

Group III not synthetic?

Legally, yes. It was a court case between Mobil and castrol over syntec.
Synthetics before then were enginnered w group v and iv base oils. They were great at keeping engines clean. The whole idea was to engineer an oil so it didn't need massive additives.

Bet there is more profits in the current mixes too.

Group III not synthetic?

Legally, yes. It was a court case between Mobil and castrol over syntec.
Synthetics before then were enginnered w group v and iv base oils. They were great at keeping engines clean. The whole idea was to engineer an oil so it didn't need massive additives.

Bet there is more profits in the current mixes too.

No, it was a BBB dispute, not a court case.

And modern Group III base oils (like VISOM and GTL) perform just as well in a blended lubricant as the more traditional base stocks did "back in the day".

And I think you are thinking of VII's, not additives. PAO isn't polar and has incredibly poor solubility. So something needs to be used as a carrier when PAO is leveraged as a base oil. This is why oils like M1 0w-40 are a combination of base oils including PAO, VISOM, Esters, AN's.....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back