Another PureOne Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just scrubbed out of my first ever oil filter dissection and am still reeling. Much to my shagrin, I found torn pleats on the top and bottom of each pleat adjacent to the metal crimp. Filter is a PureOne 14459 after 5k oci on the '05 Sedona running Maxlife NextGen. Like some others here -- I AM DONE WITH P1 FILTERS.

No surprise anymore ... same failure mode seen a number of times now. Don't even need a photo, they all look the same.
frown.gif

I just UPS'd mine to them today. Interested to see what they have to say.

I'm with you though, I'm done with Purolator for now!

Originally Posted By: Donald
M1 filters.

Thats what I'm going with as well, at least until it seems they sort this out.

Last edited:
I still have to mail them a Defective PureONE air filter that doesn't fit properly, and turned in a really bad UOA in the silicon
dept.

I'm worried, Purolator was one of our last readily available quality filter makers, Who will we turn to now?

I suggest that EVERYONE who finds a defective one, Calls and gets a return
kit, and sends it back. It's the only way to get there attention.

Originally Posted By: possum328
I just scrubbed out of my first ever oil filter dissection and am still reeling. Much to my shagrin, I found torn pleats on the top and bottom of each pleat adjacent to the metal crimp. Filter is a PureOne 14459 after 5k oci on the '05 Sedona running Maxlife NextGen. Like some others here -- I AM DONE WITH P1 FILTERS.

Pics?

N O T I C E

Can people who find torn media in Purolator filters also post the manufacturing date code stamped on the can? Might help get a handle on if these are on older stock or newer stock.

Thank You

It was funny last fall I got two Purolator Synthetic filters from Pepboys. I looked at the one for my Tacoma, all was good. The other one I didn't bother to look at. Got home to change the oil in the CRV, opened the box and there was a classic in there. I should of returned it but their about a 20 min drive... so I threw it away. Kinda glad now I didn't use it.

I will go to Pep Boys this weekend to exchange the 2 Purolator Classic I have for Fram Tough Guard.

Too many failure at similar location to feel confortable using it in the S2000.

Originally Posted By: possum328
My code is F06E18D1.

Made on 6-18-2013.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I still have to mail them a Defective PureONE air filter that doesn't fit properly, and turned in a really bad UOA in the silicon
dept.

I'm worried, Purolator was one of our last readily available quality filter makers, Who will we turn to now?

The AMSOIL filters are readily available (you can easily order them) and are quality (wire backed synthetic media), as are the FRAM ULtra filters.

I'm rockin' a stock Motorcraft on the Expedition, the BMW doesn't have to deal with this problem, it gets OEM or MANN, and they are cartridge style.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
dept.

The AMSOIL filters are readily available (you can easily order them) and are quality (wire backed synthetic media), as are the FRAM ULtra filters.

I'm rockin' a stock Motorcraft on the Expedition, the BMW doesn't have to deal with this problem, it gets OEM or MANN, and they are cartridge style.

What I the best low price alternative? Motorcraft is Purolator also so I'm thinking that's a no no.

Meh, I'm near the end of the first interval in the Civic with a P1. With the risk being such a small tear I'm not worried about it in the least.

With that said, I've used Fram Extended Guard in the past and will use Ultra Guard in the future.

EDIT: maybe I'll swap out the P1 at the end of this change, the first OCI, just to satisfy my curiosity...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back