Crusted road salt on carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the WeatherTech floor liners but there are a few spots (namely near the gas pedal) that they don't completely cover. I've got some crusty road salt on the carpet that I'm struggling to get out.

I've sprayed it with water and with Chemical Guys stain remover, neither made a big difference. What's a good way to remove the salt? The carpet is black, if it matters.

The only way to remove the salt is to remove the salt. A carpet extractor or a wet dry vac.

Generously douse the area with water. I downright soak mine til sopping wet. Then vacuum out with an extractor or a wet dry vac, the crevice tool works really well to concentrate the wet dry vacuum's suction force to extract water.

You can't mechanically break it and then vacuum?

What if you get it nice and wet, then use successive dampening and drying passes?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You can't mechanically break it and then vacuum?

What if you get it nice and wet, then use successive dampening and drying passes?

Even after doing this for a few minutes it barely made a dent. I'm somewhat nervous about getting the carpet too wet because I don't know what kind of wires or electronics are under there.

It might just take several passes, I guess?

It suddenly occurred to me that I have this carpet scrubber for a drill. I should try it out:

ACC_201_BRUSH_MD-4.jpg

I remember buying stuff to get salt stains off leather shoes a few years back, and the one thing about it that stands out in my memory, was that it just smelled of vinegar. A quick google search shows a lot of folks having luck with a vinegar/warm water solution(proportions varied)

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I remember buying stuff to get salt stains off leather shoes a few years back, and the one thing about it that stands out in my memory, was that it just smelled of vinegar. A quick google search shows a lot of folks having luck with a vinegar/warm water solution(proportions varied)

Yes, a diluted solution of white vinegar and water works on leather. I may try it, but the car is going to smell for a long time.

Get it dry, then vacuum it like a madman, which gets most of the salt. THEN wet it, buff with a towel, repeat a couple of times. Wait till it dries, and inspect. If still salty, repeat. Always worked for me.

Last edited:
I got that on my driver side too. I just went to car wash and sprayed simple green on in set it soak, hung it up and used wand with soap while washing car. It got most of it off.

Hot water will do. I wouldn't worry about wires. Under the carpet is probably padding and sound insulation. I wouldn't get it so soaked that it gets into the sub layers as it could rust the floor pan or cause mildew.

I'd even try blowing it with one of those steam gadgets to soften it up then dab it with a wet cloth.

Vacuum first with a filter in a Wet-Dry shop vac.

Next step, pour straight white vinegar on it and let it sit for 30 mins. Doesn't matter if you use too much.

Then, remember to remove the paper vacuum filter from the Shop Vac.

Pour hot water all over the carpeting, if it pools 1" high no problem.

Vacuum up all the water till damp.

Next, use Armor All or Simple Green spray soap. Spray the carpet with this powerful soap and let it sit for 15 mins.

Then lightly rub the soap deep into the carpet with a brush, then rub with a rubber glove on your hand to force the soap deep.

Next, with hot water, pour on carpet and vacuum everything up.

Repeat this last step 3-4x, the last time really vacuum as well as you can. Then press old towels into the carpets to pull up more liquid.

It is important the last step multiple times as this is what makes sure your car doesn't smell of Vinegar.

I always do this in July during a heat wave, so you can have the carpets bone dry very fast. Especially with the windows open.

Do this in the Spring or Fall and your carpets may stay damp for days.

I'm surprised the WT liners didn't cover everything to prevent ALL salt build up. I can see a few pieces of salt here and there but kind of disssapointed to here about having to remove build up. Usually with dark carpeted ones the salt eventually goes away after wet shoes hit it in the spring. I just try to shake them out once per week. Nine years later and they still look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back