Do AC Delco make the best air filters? A real test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better link

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

It seems this was discussed on BITOG in 2004. The Amsoil filter was not an EA filter.

Still, if AC Delco specs are not changed, this could be a great filter!

Technology , manufacturing, and operating costs change every year, if not every couple of years.

Those charts mean nothing.

The superiority of SN over SM is a evidence.

Furthermore, when companies like FRAM get so large, everybody else has to cut back in order to compete.

AC delco has always been good bargin deal, their stuff on sale is good deal but by no means the best.
In a capitalistic era, if someone can oversell , price will go up, if someone makes better stuff, it will also raise price.

AC delco by no means tries to do any of this.

Did you go to the link?

They achieved 99.93% efficiency. Virtually no dust got through and it held more dust than the others for the same increase in pressure.

I can't find any info to suggest other air filters are better. Purolator says PureOne has 99.5% efficiency under the same test but they are oiled.

For my application, the AC is about the same price as anything else so I will take a look and check the construction. The pictures I have seen show a lot of pleats.

If the construction looks comparable to OEM, there is no risk and could be an upside if it performs as it did in the test.

I have a GM, I use Delco in it, I have a Ford I use Motorcraft in it. I have not seen anything at their price points that is better. For our Jeep I use Wix because there is no Chrysler dealer nearby and no one around here sells Mopar filters. The Motorcraft and Delcos just seem to be built better than anything else I have looked at.

I compared the delco, fram, and purolator air filter side by side for my escalade. Delco had more pleats, thicker media, and appeared to be well built in comparison to the others. Fram was good but less pleats. Purolator, I thought had build quality issues, even less pleats and glue that looked sloppy.

Here's a pic of the filter they tested - A1618C. You can believe the reports of higher dust holding, greater efficiency, higher initial restriction, slower loading when you see those pleats.

And great to hear real world confirmation that these filters have a lot of pleats.

I will check out some filters in the store. For my size I will have to order from Amazon as the store prices are double.

39912.jpg

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I'll still stick with Mann for air filters. Nothing I have seen beats their visual build quality.

Try Mahle. In my opinion, Mann's quality and attention to detail has slid in recent years. I don't buy Mann any more.

Mann is now a Purolator.. I have a puro in mine and its made in china:( .. will get a denso or ac/delco next. I have heard great things about the densos but they are very pricey..

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Did you go to the link?

They achieved 99.93% efficiency. Virtually no dust got through and it held more dust than the others for the same increase in pressure.

I can't find any info to suggest other air filters are better. Purolator says PureOne has 99.5% efficiency under the same test but they are oiled.

For my application, the AC is about the same price as anything else so I will take a look and check the construction. The pictures I have seen show a lot of pleats.

If the construction looks comparable to OEM, there is no risk and could be an upside if it performs as it did in the test.

I think you're missing his point...that "test" was conducted 10 years ago. Materials, specifications, countries of manufacture, etc. have changed so much over that time period it no longer has much value.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Mann is now a Purolator..

I don't think it's quite that simple.

For some sizes and origins of manufacture, Manns are still pretty well-made the same as they've always been.

Still, it really depends on the vehicle and app. In a later GM 5.3, nothing seems to better a Delco A3085C. That doesn't mean I'll be using a Delco in an M119 engine, when a German-made Mann or Hengst is still de rigueur. And in that 5.3, I still like the Wix XP over the AC can, even though the latter is a solid product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back