'11 Jeep Liberty 3.7L...dealer switched bulk oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2011 Jeep Liberty w/ 3.7L V-6 & 4-speed autmoatic tranny; it had 9285 miles when I took possession...currently has a but over 9600 miles;

I inquired today what oil & filters my dealer will be using for the free oil changes that are written into my sales deal; when I asked last year I was told it was Pennzoil...today I was told it is Castrol and the new service writer isn't sure when the switch was made; filters will be Mopar brand;

normal driving will be 5-10 miles each way to work x 5 times per week; between 20-40 added miles while running errands several times per month; mileage can be up to 100 miles on a weekend for recreational activities; 80-90% town & country driving with 10-15% highway; usage and distance driven is reduced during warmer months since I ride motorcycle & scooter;

is there any major differences in protection & cleanability between Pennzoil and Castrol? I understand that the additive packages will be different, but I'm just curious if the Castrol's performance is lacking; should I reduce average OCI from 5000 miles ? thanks...

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat it. It is bulk oil from a dealer. Castrol is a decent, name brand oil that should be good for a reasonable OCI. They are going to get cheapest possible. Not like they are putting City Star or Bullseye in it.

Both should be good for 5K miles, but I would rather have the Pennzoil which has an excellent add pack.

stopped by the dealer for my touch up paint (part of sales deal) and asked the new junior executive know it all service advisor what exactly was going into my engine for oil & what filter would be used (after explaining my confusion since I'm given a different answer every time I call); 2 of the mechanics were sitting there and told me that Castrol is for the Mazdas (part of the dealer's lineup) & Pennzoil is for the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles; Mopar filters will be used...interesting since they installed a Mann air filter; BTW...I have a lifetime engine warranty as long as the dealer does the oil changes & other service, so they have vested interest to use OEM spec or better filters!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back