Advice sought, '03 Taurus air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's time to replace the engine air filter on our '03 Taurus SES, with the Duratec DOHC V-6. I plan to purchase from Advance Auto, with a coupon code and in-store pickup. Not tied to that, though, if anyone has a better idea for purchase options. Here are prices from AAP, after coupon code and before tax:

Fram Tough Guard 6.99

Driveworks 6.99

Beck/Arnley 8.39

Fram Extra Guard 8.95

Purolator Classic 8.99

Purolator Pure One 12.89

Which filter would you get? Car is driven gently most of the time, with the rare spirited pass on two-lane rural highways. It's driven up an unpaved and sometimes dusty driveway most days, but the driveway is short, then on to paved roads. Price not a huge issue, since it's only a $6 spread and won't need to be replaced for another two years, probably. Any small bump in mpg would be great.

Thanks.

air filter wont bump MPG on a fuel injected car in normal driving conditions.

Check the foam surrounds and see what kind of quality they are.

Some are really cheap, some are stiff,.

I usually get motorcraft if they are available.
wasnt happy with the last few purolators.

Had one that was deformed and didnt seal well, and another that the surround was extremely stiff, felt old and degraded compared to the motorcraft.

If you have never done it consider changing the cabin air filter too, its under the pass. side wiper cowl.

Last edited:
Fram seems to make nice quality air filters. I'd get that, the $6.99 one. I've purchased a Purolator that seemed cheaply built as well.

Never had a UOA done but the DriveWorks had a good seal surface on its filter for a Matrix I had. If you won't one of the best air filters made IMO, the air filters by Amsoil are hard to beat, reusable with vacuumning and stated good for 100K. It's non oilable which is also a good selling pointand if you're not going replace the car for a few air filter changes maybe a best buy.

Those are the prices with discount and before tax!?

Hit up a Walmart and get a Fram.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Those are the prices with discount and before tax!?

Hit up a Walmart and get a Fram.

Yep, it's a few cents less for the Fram at WM as at AAP w/discount. All else equal I avoid WM. Not a total deal-breaker, but if the price is even close, I go elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice. Still thinking....

Fram air filter is very good, better than Purolator. If Tough Guard is $6.99 I would buy it.

Tough Guard is better quality than Extra Guard, usually it costs more than Extra Guard.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Fram air filter is very good, better than Purolator. If Tough Guard is $6.99 I would buy it.

Tough Guard is better quality than Extra Guard, usually it costs more than Extra Guard.

Really? That's not what I found online---but I do not know much about air filters. (Love this site; always something new to learn.) Are you sure the branding you refer to is not oil filter-specific? It seems Fram oil filters vs. air filters is a whole 'nother thing.

Fram Tough Guard and Ultra oil filters are good, especially the Ultra is the best for the money, no other oil filter is better than it for similar cost.

As said above, Fam air filters are good, Tough Guard is better than Extra Guard. I don't think Ultra air filter is available.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
My PureONE air filter turned in [censored] poor UOA's

For $16 delivered, Amazon

I'd be very interested to see your uoa with a PureOne air filter. I did research before I bought mine and it showed probably the best efficiency possible from an air filter.

Yes Fram Tough Guard air filters are pretty sweet too, but they don't make them for as many applications.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Tough Guard is oil impregnated as is PureOne.

Interesting that bits cheaper than Extra Guard but I'm not sure I would want oil in the air especially with the MAF just after it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
My PureONE air filter turned in [censored] poor UOA's

For $16 delivered, Amazon

I'd be very interested to see your uoa with a PureOne air filter. I did research before I bought mine and it showed probably the best efficiency possible from an air filter.

Yes Fram Tough Guard air filters are pretty sweet too, but they don't make them for as many applications.

Ima try sealing the edge of the filter along the air box with some dielectric grease. Too lazy/cheap to buy the OEM filter, then send the Puro one back in the return kit.

UOA

What specific info did you find?

I found a 2004 testing to ISO standards and AC Delco was pretty amazing. Its efficiency was above anything claimed then or since. Dust holding capacity was class leading as was the rate of increase of restriction.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3162138/1

Originally Posted By: TrevorS

What specific info did you find?

I found a 2004 testing to ISO standards and AC Delco was pretty amazing. Its efficiency was above anything claimed then or since. Dust holding capacity was class leading as was the rate of increase of restriction.

Okay that link doesn't help much i will look again tomorrow.

Either way the pureone is 99.5 % efficient under iso 5011 testing which indicates it's one of the best choices for a long term high efficiency filter even though it may pass slightly more dust at the begining of its life cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back