kleen flo carb cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, this is my first post. I found this site while trying to answer what the best oil for my boat would be, and figured if anyone could answer my questions it would be someone here.

I bought a gallon of Kleen Flo carb cleaner and happily began to clean my carb. As I continued it became abundantly clear that this stuff really stinks. So much so I don't dare use it anywhere inside the house, and need to be meticulous about spilling a drop of the stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the odour? I've checked the MSDS for it and it's not terribly bad, but man does it ever smell, and the smell lingers.

Last edited:
Anything that can clean gum and varnish is bound to be potent and stinky.

Keep in mind that getting your carb ready for the boating season may require more than a cleaning and rebuild kit. Such as dealing with water corrosion and worn linkages.

I was quoted $175 + postage to rebuild my 4 barrel Rochester. I cannot tell you how many times its stalled while backing it into my slip, thus I felt it was time for a rebuild.

I wonder if its the same nasty stuff i have used. It would stink for weeks if you got any on you and it would remove skin so dont go sticking your hand in the bucket to pull a part out.

Yup nasty stuff. I have my own work shop at work and thought I'd just keep it to the side and work on it on my lunch and after work. As soon as I poured it into the tray to soak the throttle plates I knew I was in trouble. I ended up cleaning the whole area, putting everything in plastic bags and boxing it all up and taking it home right away. I had ventilation fans going for 2 days, and even now when you walk by my office you can smell it from when I put the soaking tray on the steps outside my office. That was 2 weeks ago. I've worked with all kinds of solvents over the years and never have I encountered anything like this. Now I have to develop a plan to get it all cleaned and back together and hope that it doesn't stink up the boat for ever.

That stuff is the perfect premix to add to gasoline. It's got acetone,toluene,xylene and something else. I mix it 50/50 with tc-w3 and into my gas tank

I don't think it's the same stuff. The MSDS lists Methylene chloride 2-Methylphenol 3-Metylphenol 4-Methylphenol Xylene Orthodichlorobenzene, Methanol 2-Butyoxyethanol. Potassium oleate soap, caustic potash

Last total rebuild of a carb , I used a gallon of stale gas and 3 spray cans of carb cleaner. If there is up and down play in the throttle shafts, they can be re-bushed with brass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back