Another 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see they have my 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT, w/ ~42Kmi listed for sale online finally for the low price of $20045. A bargain I tell ya! LOL. Well, it was a well cared for lease anyway.

Here it is:

http://www.westherrsubaru.com/used/Subar...801b576027a.htm

laugh.gif

if only it wasnt just a tarted up impreza with plastic bits, but subaru has been doing it for years and raking in the cash.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
if only it wasnt just a tarted up impreza...

Yeah thanks. I'm all about the "tart". [/dooshyness]

Just an update. Averaged 25mpg out of the third tank of fuel. 348.8 miles driven / 13.9gal fill-up.

Not necessarily horrible given it's been driven anywhere from -10degF to a max of 20F this week. Mostly low teens. Ugh..

Last edited:
The Subaru site said it had 43.5 inches of front seat legroom. That's pretty high.

I know the newer Foresters (09+) are also pretty roomy, sat in a couple at the car shows.

I'm a tall driver who doesn't care about backseat room and needs reasonable utility. I can haul 8 foot 2x4s with my Rondo, so it serves a need pretty well. But I am starting to get the itch for something else
laugh.gif

if only it wasnt just a tarted up impreza with plastic bits, but subaru has been doing it for years and raking in the cash.

If it wasn't just the most fuel efficient AWD (2nd best AWD system out there) CUV it would suck and not sell. It's called good engineering.

Subaru also has one of the best CVT's on the market.

As much as I like the 5spd, If I were to buy another XV Crosstrek, it would be a CVT.

The CVT in my 2012 Legacy was that awesome.

Originally Posted By: buster

If it wasn't just the most fuel efficient AWD (2nd best AWD system out there) CUV it would suck and not sell. It's called good engineering.

Subaru also has one of the best CVT's on the market.

Subarus are also the only AWD CUVs with manual transmission. They have that market cornered. If I were going to buy a CUV It would be a XV or Forester for that exact reason.

They use Aisin (Toyota) CVTs - not surprised they are good. The JATCO CVTs (Nissan, Jeep Compass/Patriot, Chevy Spark, Mitsu Mirage) are just awful in my experience. I'd like to drive a CVT from Aisin or Honda.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

They use Aisin (Toyota) CVTs - not surprised they are good. The JATCO CVTs (Nissan, Jeep Compass/Patriot, Chevy Spark, Mitsu Mirage) are just awful in my experience. I'd like to drive a CVT from Aisin or Honda.

Miller, I thought the 2010+ Subaru CVT was an Aisin sourced unit as well and unfortunately talked about it for years as if it was. I currently can't find a shred of evidence that suggests it is! I swore there was info on that some time back.

It seems the present day CVT is all Fuji Heavy/Subaru, with some German parts in it. Regardless, it's da bomb as far as CVTs go. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...VT?#Post3301170

Quote:
Subarus are also the only AWD CUVs with manual transmission. They have that market cornered. If I were going to buy a CUV It would be a XV or Forester for that exact reason.

+1. When I go to buy my next car, it's going to be a tough decision on what transmission to get. Fwiw, the long time manual transmission users are preferring the Subaru CVT over the 5spd manual, in both the XV and Forester. I've only driven the CVT version of both vehicles. My 03 has a 5spd and I do enjoy driving it because of that.

Originally Posted By: JTK
As much as I like the 5spd, If I were to buy another XV Crosstrek, it would be a CVT.

The CVT in my 2012 Legacy was that awesome.

You may feel that way now but if you keep your Crosstrek long enough to put a couple hundred thousand miles on it like we have on our Civic then you might change your mind.

However, few drivers keep their new vehicles that long. We are still loving our new MT Crosstrek too.
thumbsup2.gif

That's a good point BD.

The simplicity of the MT and ease of service will be a plus.

Miller, I thought the 2010+ Subaru CVT was an Aisin sourced unit as well and unfortunately talked about it for years as if it was. I currently can't find a shred of evidence that suggests it is! I swore there was info on that some time back.

It seems the present day CVT is all Fuji Heavy/Subaru, with some German parts in it. Regardless, it's da bomb as far as CVTs go. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...VT?#Post3301170

Interesting. I'll have to research. I read in a few places that they were Aisin sourced.

Maybe Just JACTO ones are unreliable? I'll deal with awkward all day if it's reliable. The JATCO ones just do not seem to be able to make 100K.

But I really enjoy driving manual transmission.

There was quite a debate here on another thread about CVT. Someone there claimed that JACTO builds CVT's for Subaru. But from all the research I have done, it appears that as was mentioned above, Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries builds all their CVT's, with the belt coming from a German company.

I hear you BHopkins.

Embarrassingly enough, I caught a thread online where someone from an Outback forum, linked to a BITOG thread with me talking about the Subaru CVT being an Aisin unit. Someone replied with something along the lines, "you can't trust info from someone from Buffalo. Their brains are frozen." LOL! Ugh.. That's only marginally true.

LOLOL!!!

Do you feel the XV is under-powered, as many online reviews have said?

Not at all.

By no means is it neck snapping power, but it's quite good IMO, for a vehicle of this size w/ ~148hp.

I've had 5 people in it numerous times. Granted 4 were my kids, but you don't notice a significant loss of power. You do notice it rides better that way though! She's stiff with just me in it.

Not at all.

By no means is it neck snapping power, but it's quite good IMO, for a vehicle of this size w/ ~148hp.

I've had 5 people in it numerous times. Granted 4 were my kids, but you don't notice a significant loss of power. You do notice it rides better that way though! She's stiff with just me in it.

Could that be the lift kit that turned it from an Impreza to XV?

Could that be the lift kit that turned it from an Impreza to XV?

Pretty much. Supposedly they have sub-frame spacers, but the struts/shocks/springs are longer, the brake rotors are larger diameter, the front and rear bumpers are different, body cladding different, larger fuel tank and it's reported the floor pans are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back