03 Elantra Spark Plugs/wires DIY attempt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again - I surely will ask "?"s when the time comes.
I am gonna call dealer and get the real info on when plugs were last changed.

Also, i sadly don't have the rubber boot on the spark plug wrench I am going to use...It just came with my tool box (cheap).
Should I really get one with a boot?

Quote:
Also, i sadly don't have the rubber boot on the spark plug wrench I am going to use...It just came with my tool box (cheap).
Should I really get one with a boot?
NO, get the one which has magnet inside. The best way to do this is to purchase the OEM plugs and get the matching spark plug wrench from Autozone/Advance. They have the one which has swivel end and costs less than $10. If you already know what size spark plug wrench you need, you can skip buying the plugs from the store and order it over the internet.

I think you're making it out to be more difficult than it really is.

My 2006 Elantra had just over 100,000 miles on it when I changed the plugs and it was the first time they had been changed. It was a 10 minute job at most, no special tools needed. Just pop the cover off, remove the boots, swap out the plugs, put the boots back on and put the cover back on. The plugs are right on top under the cover-they couldn't be easier to change. I didn't do the wires but if I had they might have added an extra 5 minutes to the amount of time it took.

Mine only took a quick hit on the ratchet handle with the palm of my hand to loosen them. I didn't use any anti-seize on them, and I didn't use a torque wrench to tighten them (just get them snug and tighten a bit more). It was probably one of the easiest plug changes I've ever done.

IDK how important/critical this is, but...

Do I have to regap if I get NGK plugs?
from the chart on NGK website.
Gap: 0.044 ?

ngk.jpg

But this one from Elantra Manual says max is 0.043 -

UcKFgfq.png

I wouldn't attempt regapping. 0.044 is close enough. You wouldn't be able to close the gap by another 1/1000th with any sort of accuracy, me thinks.

The 11 at the end of the NGK plug nomenclature stands for the factory gap of 1.1mm which if you do the conversion using mm to inches, you will get .044

Last edited:
I would also purchase a small tube of Di electric grease to place on the inside of the spark plug boot. Applied with a Q tip it will work wonders when its time in the future to remove boots without damage.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I would also purchase a small tube of Di electric grease to place on the inside of the spark plug boot. Applied with a Q tip it will work wonders when its time in the future to remove boots without damage.

why not apply it to the spark plug and to the distributor male end??

Most feeler gauges use 1 inch = 25 mm (aka 1/4 )rather than the official 25.4 conversion, thus the 11 => 44 and 10 => 40

UPDATE:
Dealer checked records: Last plug change was at 151,000 miles. (NGK platinums - Car now has 211,000).
Knowing that, and with no symptoms/codes of any kind, I think I will not change plugs right now.

But this thread let me learn a lot of info that will be uselful If/when the time comes. Thanks all, for that.

Car will get new shocks and shock mounts Friday. (I really hope the springs are still ok to be re-used...)
It probably needs brake pads too (brakes feel a bit spongy, and stopping power is not great). Those things are probably more needed than plugs/wires right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back