Tested Archoils Claim of Reduced Emissions-Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
If modern fuel injection is so clean why do we still need cats?

Get educated

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

If you had even the remotest clue about combustion, you wouldn't make such asinine statements.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
WOW, That's a dramatic difference with the alcohol in it. You have many holdouts here who don't believe there's a reason for E10 gas.

Imagine how clean E85 burns.

The reason why adding alcohol would reduce some emissions on this vehicle is that it is carbureted. Since it can't adjust the fuel/air mixture as do current electronically controlled injector systems with an oxygen sensor feedback loop, and since alcohol's optimum fuel/air mixture is richer than gasoline's, adding alcohol basically "leans out" the engine.

Ethanol is not inherently cleaner burning than gasoline.

Oh yes it is. By far. How much sulphur does ethanol have?

If modern fuel injection is so clean why do we still need cats?

Get educated, read up, and get the chip off your shoulder. Autos do not always operate in feedback. They run rich when warming up and under higher loads.

Ethanol will always burn cleaner under equal conditions.

There is so much fail in this comment I'm not even sure where to begin.
Turtlevette,
Even if what you've posted was true you haven't broached the subject of ethanol and it's energy content which is less than gasoline which translates to requiring more of it to do an equal amount of work.
So even if it did burn cleaner(it doesn't and lest we forget all those combustion bi- products that end in 'zene and cause cancer in anything living)we have to burn more of it,putting more pollutants into the air.
So sorry bud,your argument doesn't fly.
Wanna try again?
Get edumacated eh. I'd love to hear your theory on the catalytic convertor now. Do tell

Ethanol is not inherently cleaner burning than gasoline.

(1) Oh yes it is. By far. How much sulphur does ethanol have?

(2) If modern fuel injection is so clean why do we still need cats?

(3) Get educated, read up, and get the chip off your shoulder.

(1) Gasoline has almost none.

Refiners in the last few years have cut the sulfur content in gasoline by 90 percent, from 300 parts to 30 parts per million.

On the upside, the amount of carbon dioxide produced by refineries is about 1/10 that created to make the same BTU value of ethanol.

(2) In Brazil, where ethanol is mandated, they still have catalytic converters. Ethanol is just one more hydrocarbon.

Ethanol, of course, is one of the major causes of oxygen sensor failures. A small amount ethanol in the gasoline (gasohol) can get past the piston rings and into the motor oil. This ethanol with agitation and heat liberates some of the phosphorus from the motor oil. The phosphorus is vaporized and sucked into the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system and burned in the combustion chamber. This burned phosphorus on its way out the exhaust coats the O2 sensor(s) building up in layers.

This causes the sensor to react slower than normal. The engine computer reads this slow reaction time as a failure of the sensor forcing its replacement.

Then there is all that water in fuel tanks due to ethanol separation. And we might want to talk about the upstream pollution that ethanol production causes. Or perhaps the damage ethanol causes to fuel systems.

(3) Speaking of a chip .... the reason why the ethanol in a car with a carburetor reduces some emissions is because it causes the vehicle, which was designed for gasoline, to run somewhat lean. That's why when the gasohol mandate first made its appearance, the EPA referred to ethanol as an "oxygenator".

Don't be a git.

Don't be a git.

Who uses that term. Who still says gasohol?

Get updated.

I made a simple comment about the results of his experiments then we get all these comments taking the subject off topic. I'd be glad to educate you guys. Start a new thread.

P.S. Having more people taking a side in one thread does not change science. That's the beauty of engineering. Opinions mean nothing. This is not art appreciation class.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

such asinine statements

You too? Let's keep the discussion technical. The fact that you have 24K posts does not make you a better engineer than I am. I've been punching holes in your stuff for awhile now.

Mate, you are delusional...

Please, using your advanced scientific skills, explain how high temperature stoichiometry is negated via the use of alcohol, rendering catalysts un-necessary.

Simple science, you can do it standing on your head...google it (or at least ask Lolly dog)

I made a simple comment about the results of his experiments then we get all these comments taking the subject off topic.

The simple comment "Get educated, read up, and get the chip off your shoulder." crossed the line.

He routinely does that when crossed. You must never say ANYTHING bad about gasohol. After all, he uses 'science' and by that he means you are stupid. Many of us here do not feel he has punched any holes in much of anything except his own windbag.

Gasohol. I love it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
He routinely does that when crossed. You must never say ANYTHING bad about gasohol. After all, he uses 'science' and by that he means you are stupid. Many of us here do not feel he has punched any holes in much of anything except his own windbag.

Gasohol. I love it!

I couldn't have said it better.
Steve wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back