PP -- 5w-20 -- 16,595 on oil -- 5.7L HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record... I have 241,000 miles on the Car. Throttle body s**t-to-bed last year and the OEM t-stat failed open over the winter. Running cold for a few months.

Dodge 5.7L V-8 Hemi
Oil 5W/20, Wix Filter
16,595 miles on oil

COMMENTS: Between the note on the throttle body last time and the thermostat here, this vehicle is really starting to give you trouble, isn't it? If there's some good news in all of this it's that the engine actually still looks very good. Metals are a little higher than last time, but still everything is very nice compared to averages and that's impressive since you're running your oil about three times longer than most. Really, engine wear doesn't get much better than this. Now if only the rest of the vehicle would cooperate! The TBN was fine. Try up to 18,000 miles, if you want.

MI/HR.on.Oil..........16,595.............UNIVERSAL AVERAGES
MI/HR.on.Unit.........241,058
Sample.Date...........03/01/14
Make.Up.Oil...........Added 1 qt

ALUMINUM..............4..................3
CHROMIUM..............1..................1
IRON..................25.................21
COPPER................11.................39
LEAD..................0..................1
TIN...................0..................1
MOLYBDENUM............55.................77
NICKEL................2..................1
MANGANESE.............1..................1
SILVER................0..................0
TITANIUM..............0..................0
POTASSIUM.............0..................2
BORON.................2..................4
SILICON...............5..................9
SODIUM................5..................45
CALCIUM...............2377...............2138
MAGNESIUM.............10.................161
PHOSPHORUS............646................794
ZINC..................811................807
BARIUM................0..................0

[email protected]°F..53.6.............58.5
[email protected]°C..8.37.............9.80
Flashpoint.in.°F.......420..............405
Fuel.%................. Antifreeze.%...........0.0..............0.0
Water.%................0.0..............0.0
Insolubles.%...........0.3..............0.3
TBN....................3.0..............3.0

Last edited:
Looks great! What's with those remarks in the comments section about the rest of the car having issues? Some of their comments can be annoying and take away from actual numbers. Distracting to say the least.
smile.gif

Forget about Blackstone comments, what about those who still question thin oil?

240k 5.7L engine using 1qt of 20 weight oil over 17k miles, running extra cold during winter months, with wear levels multiple times less than average.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Looks great! What's with those remarks in the comments section about the rest of the car having issues? Some of their comments can be annoying and take away from actual numbers. Distracting to say the least.
smile.gif

I told them on two seperate samples that the throttle body wacked out one week which resulted in constant stalling and rough idle and that the t-stat failed open for 2 months of daily driving. The TBs on these cars are computer controlled... so when they fail... they fail big.

I just wanted to be transparent and detailed with them. I figured if those two event effected the UOA, they should know. I'm happy with the results.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Forget about Blackstone comments, what about those who still question thin oil?

240k 5.7L engine using 1qt of 20 weight oil over 17k miles, running extra cold during winter months, with wear levels multiple times less than average.

Had he used 20w-50, the thermostat wouldn't have failed, nor would the electric throttle body have failed.

^^^Hahaha, good one.

New Gen Hemis last a long time. This one is more proof. I have seen one in a truck with over 300k miles on it, still running great...

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
Wow! I just snagged 9 jugs of PU 5w-20 on sale. After seeing this I won't worry a bit about running it in my 5.7 Challenger.

its only got a 4 year shelf life.. at 18k per change, you might as well sell it.
laugh.gif

I have the identical car. And I was starting to get itchy with 8000+ miles on ultra 5w-20.
I'll rest easier now and won't be in such a hurry to change my oil.
Thanks for posting. I'm going to follow your posts. We have the exact same car. I've got just about 80000 miles on it now. 1/3 of your miles.

Any advice for me and my car?

I guess I miss the point here, but why would you run oil in your car for that long? I mean really, oil is easy and cheap to change. Unless, the vehicle is simply worthless to you and your attempting to prompt blowing it up or cause severe wear, I really don't see the point. Of course, I don't see a reason to run any oil past 5000 miles, unless your a hard core synthetic Amsoil guy, just trying to prove a point. As cheap and easy as oil changes are, especially on the Hemi, I just don't get, risk ruining or even damaging a motor to prove how good oil is.

why change it if its still doing its job? when you put 50k miles a year on something like i do, there is considerable cost savings from 3k to 13k OCIs,

Originally Posted By: MotorsportsX
why change it if its still doing its job? when you put 50k miles a year on something like i do, there is considerable cost savings from 3k to 13k OCIs,

Exactly. If the oils not spent what actual gain is to be had by changing it. Obviously these longer oil runs aren't doing his engine any harm as the wear metals are below universal averages(not that that in itself means much) and the oil wasn't wiped out yet,so why change it at 5000 miles.
To feel all warm and fuzzy?
I feel much warmer and fuzzier with more money in my pocket,and obviously it's not hurting anything.
Really makes a guy think about the reality of longer oil change intervals and actual wear associated with it

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I feel much warmer and fuzzier with more money

Made me laugh.
I Imagined- a nice fluffy blanket- full of $1 bills....

But same here-- if it shows its doing fine at that mileage---Ill run it.
Just like my 2003 Trailblazer. 11,500 miles on Valvoline Dino.
Vehicle is still running fine at 171,000.

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
Originally Posted By: Clevy

I feel much warmer and fuzzier with more money

Made me laugh.
I Imagined- a nice fluffy blanket- full of $1 bills....

But same here-- if it shows its doing fine at that mileage---Ill run it.
Just like my 2003 Trailblazer. 11,500 miles on Valvoline Dino.
Vehicle is still running fine at 171,000.

Here we have loonies,no dollar bills. And rolling in em would be cold. So no fuzzies. Maybe catch a chill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back