0w-30 for honda rincon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 honda rincon with 2800 miles and am looking for an oil for better cold operation. These quads are hard to get moving when they are cold. It has essentially an automotive style 3 speed automatic that uses the engine oil for transmission fluid. It always takes a few minutes to even be able to move the thing and even after that you have to drive slow a couple of miles before you can get it up to speed without starving the transmission. It has a dry sump and the torque converter is the first place the oil goes.

It specs 10w-30 honda gn4 or API sg jasco ma no Molly, graphite or energy conserving. I use 5w-30 honda gn4 mostly and some times 10w40 if I ride it a lot in the summer. The manual says that 5w30 10w30 and 10w40 and 0w30is all ok to use. The 2005 I used to have speced 5w30 10w40 and 20w50 if I recall correctly so it appears like they have changed reccomendations.

I am looking for a 0w30 oil to use to help the operation when cold. The only oil I can find that meets the specs are Hondas hp4 0w30 semi sun. I see that amsoil has a 0w40 that is suitable for wet clutch so that might be a choice but I don't really want the 40weight.

Are there any other options?

I use Mobil 1 4t in my rancher.(its 10w-40 tho) Another popular oil is Rotella t6, since it is specced for wet clutch. Not sure if it comes in a 10w-30 or not.

Yeah, I might be tempted to try the Amsoil 0w40 just to see if the lighter winter weight will help the transmission. The 40 weight hot viscosity shouldn't make any difference, especially since you've run 10w40 before without issue.

To help in the cold, you might be better off trying a full synthetic oil, even if it is thicker than 5W30.

It's a little more, but the Honda HP4S is a full synthetic, but the lightest weight is 10W30. I think Amsoil makes a full synthetic 4 Stroke and motorcycle oil in the 10W30 weight.

I just googled and Lucas makes a 5W30 synthetic motorcycle oil: http://www.mylucasoil.com/lucas-oil-race-only/motorcycle-oils/synthetic-sae-5w-30-motorcycle-oil

There's also the Maxima 0W30 motorcycle oil, pricey though: http://www.amazon.com/Maxima-37901-Ultra4-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B000OO2V3G
http://www.amazon.com/Torco-Internationa...#productDetails

You might have better luck searching for a 0W30 Snowmobile oil.

BTW, I only mention motorcycle oils since they're mostly JASO MA rated as well.

From the looks at prices I might just use the hp4 stuff. It would be just a little less than the amsoil and it is something that honda recomends.

These things are very particular about oil. Even the honda 10w40 in the dead of summer makes a noticeable difference in shifting.

The thinest i have seen of that is 10w40. And the price is just as much as the honda oil.

I have been reading some debate on useing full synthetic is these atvs. I dunno how true it is.

I might just make my own synthetic blend out of tge full syn honda 10w30 and the conventional 5w30.

The thinest i have seen of that is 10w40. And the price is just as much as the honda oil.

I have been reading some debate on useing full synthetic is these atvs. I dunno how true it is.

I might just make my own synthetic blend out of tge full syn honda 10w30 and the conventional 5w30.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I am looking for a 0w30 oil to use to help the operation when cold.

yes!!!

castrol syntec 0w30 (GC)

awesome oil.

the rest of the castrol line....not really worth lifting off the shelf.

I've been running the Amsoil 0w40 in my Yamaha Timberwolf 250 about a year now. So far, really like it. I haven't ran it a lot this winter, but we had an extremely cold winter and it seemed to flow well and crank over easily.

I ran $36 5/30 Amsoil HDEO in my '07 Rincon once, didn't notice a difference...I paddle shift mine, looking for 3rd soon after it's rolling most times...Running $8 15/40 Rotella these days, motor sounds as good as ever..6k mi.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I am looking for a 0w30 oil to use to help the operation when cold.

yes!!!

castrol syntec 0w30 (GC)

awesome oil.

the rest of the castrol line....not really worth lifting off the shelf.

What he said! GC all the way...

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back